Delta across the atlantic in a 767 in coach

Subscribe
Well I usually fly BA across the pond but this time I have to fly DL on a 767. And looking at the pics it looks awful. No PTV's and the seats look superthin. Is it that bad?
It all depends where you set your bar to. Flew a 767 many years ago MIA-GTW (8 hours over, and 10 hours back), and it wasn't that bad. Only IFE we had were books, and a travel companion. But my expectations (and flying experience) were very small back then.

If you're comparing it to current new models (777s, A330a, etc), you might be disappointed.

Steve B.
I flew LGW-ATL and it was worse than I thought it could be. No IFE, old and uncomfortable seats, disgusting food. Crew were very friendly though. Unless you've got ar eally good reason to do it, DON'T!
Have done it many times from Ireland. Always enjoyed the trip, never had a problem. Have always found the seats to be adequate. Food has always been perfectly edible. Seat back T.Vs. don't interest me anyway. But we are infrequent social travellers! So what have we got to compare it with?
Quote: I flew LGW-ATL and it was worse than I thought it could be. No IFE, old and uncomfortable seats, disgusting food. Crew were very friendly though. Unless you've got ar eally good reason to do it, DON'T!
I second that and did fly a DL 777. if you need to fly Delta Coach ... use an AF code share PTV, food, wine ... ^
Quote: I second that and did fly a DL 777. if you need to fly Delta Coach ... use an AF code share PTV, food, wine ... ^
I absolutely agree. DL's international coach is a terrible product.
I am disappointed to hear about DL's international coach service; I just assumed it would be comparable to Continental! Thanks for the heads up!
Quote: I am disappointed to hear about DL's international coach service; I just assumed it would be comparable to Continental! Thanks for the heads up!
CO is way better in Y!
Quote: Well I usually fly BA across the pond but this time I have to fly DL on a 767. And looking at the pics it looks awful. No PTV's and the seats look superthin. Is it that bad?
It is a bankrupt airline from the US after all..., but you will survive and it will also strengthen your loyalty to BA afterwards

The best thing for European carriers these days is to lose a pax to the US competition for a flight or two, because everybody will come back asap...
Don't do it unless you have to! I flew MAN-ATL once on 767 economy and I will never forget it - or at least my back will not let me. Been suffering from back pains ever since that day - really. The leg room has to be the worst in the market, my seat was shockingly uncomfortable, and my window-seat mate on a completely full plane was,well lets just say he/she was travelling to the US to complete the surgery, and required a wheelchair to get to the bathroom....9 times I think it was.....
There is only one major difference in comfort between a person flying in a DL Y seat internationally and a cow going to the slaughter house in a box car. The cow is better off because that trip is only one way. @:-)
JFK-GRU is in a 767, and the flight is 9 hours. It can be frustrating because they don't give you a lot to distract yourself - and the pitch is tight, but otherwise I felt no noticeable difference from the Transatlantic flights I had on KLM in 03, LH in 01 or BA in 98. In fact, I found the service to be really good - and the food not awful.
Quote: It is a bankrupt airline from the US after all..., but you will survive and it will also strengthen your loyalty to BA afterwards ...
While BA may have PTVs to distract you, their Y (WorldTraveler) seat pitch on the 744s is one of the tightest/worst in the business...31" throughout. At least on DL's 767s, the middle block seats generally have 32" seat pitch. And then with BA, there is the problem with the wonderfully "generous" FF program and accreditation of miles, especially when one is stuck in Y. After you factor in everything, we're virtually back to square one...

Quote: The best thing for European carriers these days is to lose a pax to the US competition for a flight or two, because everybody will come back asap...
Well, guess what? Many of those Euro butts will be back in those Yankee seats the minute they see a lower fare on AA or DL or UA or CO, and especially when they find out they can cross the pond nonstop instead of schlepping their bags and waiting in long lines at CDG, LHR, FRA, etc. Suddenly, those free drinks and PTVs may not be that attractive anymore.... As the US airlines continue to gain a unit cost advantage over the Europeans (which quite a few already do - look up a recent edition of AviationWeekly which compares the unit costs of US vs. Euro carriers), they will be able to increasingly sustain those lower fare offerings without losing their shirts....
Quote: It is a bankrupt airline from the US after all..., but you will survive and it will also strengthen your loyalty to BA afterwards
The tightest seat pitch and most uncomfortable TATL coach seat I've ever had was on BA. (granted, that was 8 years ago, I hope they've added an inch or two of seat pitch since then; my knees were in my face, and I'm not tall). I've done TATL Y on DL a few dozen times, it's not exciting or plush, but it's adequate. More seat padding than AF, more chance that the sound system and recline work than on AZ.
Quote: While BA may have PTVs to distract you, their Y (WorldTraveler) seat pitch on the 744s is one of the tightest/worst in the business...31" throughout. At least on DL's 767s, the middle block seats generally have 32" seat pitch.
While everyone else is scrambling to secure a window seat, I'm happy to take my place in the middle block on the DL 763. Lemme clue some of you in - when the seats on the sides align with the middle block at the front of the cabin but don't align at the rear, somebody has more legroom than somebody else. @:-)