What is United Global Services?

Subscribe
I'm a premier exec and when boarding a flight in LAX this Sunday, when the person made the announcement for Global service members, I stepped up and was told that I'm not a Global Services member.

WHAT IS GLOBAL SERVICES? Is anyone a global services member?
Quote: I'm a premier exec and when boarding a flight in LAX this Sunday, when the person made the announcement for Global service members, I stepped up and was told that I'm not a Global Services member.

Welcome to Flyertalk.

UGS is a level presented by United Airlines to their top spenders. It provides for a level of service above the 1K level with earlier boarding, upgrade confirmations, and a special phone number for support in travel.

My travel agent is a UGS. I am a mere 1K!
See how that works?
Would someone who has a good definition of UGS submit it to the FT glossary at [email protected]? It's not there, and it needs to be there. Then, at least, we've got somewhere to refer people when this question returns.
Quote: I'm a premier exec and when boarding a flight in LAX this Sunday, when the person made the announcement for Global service members, I stepped up and was told that I'm not a Global Services member.

Welcome to Flyertalk arj-lax.

I am a UGS member. UGS is not a status that is earned by flying a lot of miles. UGS is not a Mileage Plus level. UGS is a United Airlines invitation-only level to reward the top tier revenue generators of UAL. There is no specific formula, certainly no published formulas, that can specify how to gain invitation.

I would suggest for those wishing to become UGS, and get their own special Black card, spend a lot of $$$ for flights making a lot of flights. I used to average between 30 and 40 domestic flights annually with at least half of those legs at B fares or higher. My mileage yield was always in the upper 30 cent/mile range (38 cents) or more (low 50 cent/mile) when I was invited to UGS. If a M+ member does not come close to this benchmark (as well as others listed in prior threads) they can forget about invitation.

I have been told that the UGS membership was about 18,000 for 2005. I have no idea what it is this year. However, next year, I will no longer be UGS so maybe someone here on FT will gain my invitation.
Quote: Welcome to Flyertalk. Usually people are friendlier and more helpful....
True indeed. But unhelpful and sarcastic posts have been deleted since they are not germane or helpful re the o.p.'s question.

Thanks, RobotDoctor, for the helpful reply.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Thx
Thanks for the helpful response
Quote: Welcome to Flyertalk arj-lax.
However, next year, I will no longer be UGS so maybe someone here on FT will gain my invitation.
Can you just give it to me - you know, like gifting 3P?
And I second the Welcome to FT for arj-lax.

You got the UGS rejection at the gate. Although this is very infrequent because GA are getting lazier. On Tues on flight 139 a 3 class 747 with a quazillion people at the gate the gate agent called "First Class, UGS, Business and all of seating 1 please board. Ugghhh. I had just gone to get something at SBUX because the flight was delayed due to the AC being on the fritz. I had to wait 40 minutes to board. Which was not bad because we were further delayed in a hot plane for another hour.
OP, welcome to FlyerTalk

You'll find we have a fair amount of Global Services members here. Very interesting and diverse group.

Often (but not always), they identify themselves in their program area (like where you put your 1P status); some will simply put GS or UGS, or they might put their level, like GK (like RobotDoctor) or GP. These signify mileage flown, similar to 2P, 1P and 1K. Hence, a GK is a UGS member who has flown at least 100K EQM's in the last qualification period. I believe any UGS member will be identified as GP (the 50K EQM) at the minimum, if they haven't flown to the 100K level.

From my readings, the main benefits are more individualized service, more flexibility to accomodate a UGS for changes/upgrades/awards/irrops, etc., as well as the more obvious things noted in GA/FA announcements and UA signage around airports.

As a 1P, you enjoy many elite benefits not afforded to most casual passengers. Enjoy the ride and your stay on FT

Pat
Quote: Thanks for the helpful response
You're welcome and travel safe.

Best regards,

RD
Quote: Can you just give it to me - you know, like gifting 3P?
And I second the Welcome to FT for arj-lax.
OK, flyinryan I gift you my UGS status starting March 1st 2007. WHQ, are you listening?
Quote: OK, flyinryan I gift you my UGS status starting March 1st 2007. WHQ, are you listening?
WOO HOO! UnitedSkies, if you are reading this in Elk Grove, then that's enough for any court to make it official! Thanks RobotDoctor! ^
Quote:
Very interesting and diverse group.
So that's what we are calling them this week to the OP, although I missed the sarcastic remark, please do not take it as how all on this board are. Welcome to FT.

My one inquiry with the same question (before finding FT) to a GA gave me this classic reply:
Sir, if you were a Global Services Member you wouldn't need to ask me what it is.
Luckily I found FT to find out exactly what it is and that in fact, I certainly was not one. Although, I have to admit, my 1P status before getting hooked on FT seemed much more significant. Sigh, ignorance is bliss.

Welcome to FT -- enjoy.
Quote: ... to the OP, although I missed the sarcastic remark, please do not take it as how all on this board are. Welcome to FT.
Likewise. And welcome to FT (where you'll find answers to that question, and many others you didn't think you'd ever have)!