Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton South Portland, Maine [Master Thread] (now Wyndham)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton South Portland, Maine [Master Thread] (now Wyndham)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Arrow Sheraton South Portland, Maine [Master Thread] (now Wyndham)

We need information about the South Portland Sheraton in Maine? Is it a good property..? We don't hear much about it. The prices seem high for a category 2 property... 229$ per night is the lowest. Any imput will be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Aug 3, 2007 at 11:15 am
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Considering last weekend I stayed at the Sable Oaks Marriott for $149 for two nights using an EEO cert and lower rates were available.. that is not a good price.. the Marriott is about a 1/2 mile from the Sheraton as well

I stayed at that Sheraton before and got a decent upgrade as a plat. Its an ok property, just that price seems a bit excessive
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Summer rates in Portland are high - try $199 during the week at the HGI at the airport. That said, the Sheraton is nothing special. For location try the HGI on the waterfront.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
I agree..have stayed there a few times, not bad but nothing special. I paid $150 there about 3 weeks ago. The HGI downtown on the waterfront is IMO the best place to stay in Portland, both for location, quality & value.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:50 pm
Original Member

I agree with others about the HGI waterfront or the Marriott Sable Oaks. They are both very good properties. The Marriott has a very small concierge lounge on the second floor and is the only Marriott that I have ever seen that invites Silver Marriott members(that was last year) to partake in lounge access. The beds are extremely comfortable. I have stayed in the Sheraton a few times and it is hit or miss.The hotel looks very attractive from the outside, but that all changes once you get inside. Try to avoid the second tower as these rooms seem to be older looking than the main tower and distant from the hotel lobby. The Sheraton is usually the most expensive of the 3 brands for whatever reason. The HGI is down on Casco Bay and close to downtown shopping and restaurants. They have the usual HGI amenities, and the hotel itself is only a couple of years old. My personal choice would be the Marriott, but both HGI's in Portland are good second choices.

Last edited by general45; Jun 9, 2005 at 7:53 pm
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
As much of a SPG fan as I am, I'd look long and hard for other options before paying that price for the Sheraton in South Portland. In fact, absent a total renovation, I don't think I'd stay there for any price. I've stayed there twice, both times more than a year ago, and thought the place as a total dump. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound as though things have improved in the past year. Look elsewhere!
Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
I was hoping to use *wood points, I guess it would be a good value that way.
When a category 2 hotel is 229$ you are better off using points for sure!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Aug 3, 2007 at 11:19 am
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:03 am
Original Member

Portland hotel prices in the summer are usually more expensive than anywhere in the region, including Boston. Everyone wants to get that seacoast Maine experience. There's an inclination for people from "away" to think that Maine begins in Kittery and ends in Bar Harbor. If you have the time, I would suggest a trip to the northern and western portion of the state. I know this is off subject, but I wanted to get this plug in since there are so many beautiful areas in the state that are never explored. Hotel prices are also more reasonable in these areas.
By the way NBSPGMEMBER, where do you earn your SPG points now that the Sheraton in Fredericton is a Delta?

Last edited by general45; Jun 10, 2005 at 7:05 am
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by general45
Portland hotel prices in the summer are usually more expensive than anywhere in the region, including Boston. Everyone wants to get that seacoast Maine experience. There's an inclination for people from "away" to think that Maine begins in Kittery and ends in Bar Harbor. If you have the time, I would suggest a trip to the northern and western portion of the state. I know this is off subject, but I wanted to get this plug in since there are so many beautiful areas in the state that are never explored. Hotel prices are also more reasonable in these areas.
By the way NBSPGMEMBER, where do you earn your SPG points now that the Sheraton in Fredericton is a Delta?
Hey! General45,
Well, even if I'm from New Brunswick, I've never been to the Sheraton Fredericton, which is now a Delta Hotel. I travel often and usually stay at Starwood properties and use my MBNA SPG Mastercard alot.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Sep 28, 2006 at 11:34 am
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:37 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
A teeny tiny review of the hotel itself

Okay folks.... I live about 3 miles from this hotel and have hosted a number of events there over the past years and placed numerous family members here when the house is otherwise full.

Here's the short scoop: this is an okay, but not stellar, Sheraton. It is housed in a very unfortunate 1970s round tower design with two pods that look something like spaceships. (With me so far??)

That said, when *wood corporate took this place over from the previous owners, Flatley (who ran it as a Sheraton Tara location), they really did a decent job of significant renovations to all areas. The lobby is weird, since it's too small. The rooms are generally okay with small, but nicely appointed bathrooms with limestone floors and granite counters. The views from the rooms here will never be great since the hotel is between an interstate and the largest mall in Maine.

The real benefit of this hotel is its central location to "stuff." It's exceedingly easy to use this hotel as a home base for exploring southern Maine with highlights like Kennebunk, Ogunquit, Cape Elizabeth, etc, etc all easily within an hour's drive. Portland's downtown has some spectacular dining options (truly) and surprisingly good shopping and diversions.

You won't find this to be a luxury hotel by any means. But if you view it as a very comfortable place to sleep, you'll be okay. Also, this hotel has bounced back and forth over the years about a Club Lounge. Not sure what the deal is these days, but generally they've just offered appetizer coupons for the bar and breakfast coupons for the restaurant upon checkin for Plat guests (note: that may have now changed).

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Sheraton South Portland, Maine

Greetings:

Just a word about a great stay at the Sheraton Portland, Maine.

I booked 8 rooms for a get together befrore taking a ferry to Monhegan Island, Maine for a 50th wedding celerbration party.

First, check in was a dream, everyone had been upgraded to the SPG floor, given a "key" to the club and had all the book work set to go when they checked in. (Which was all hours) I was upgraded to suite, bottle of wine and other goodies.

Our room was a nice suite big enough to have a pre- dinner party in for all of us.

Dinner was in the bar, 22 of us, no problem food was just fine, drink service was also just fine.

The hit of the day was that the front office manager Taylor Cushman had posted a welcome sign just below the Sheraton sign...cool!!! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

In all everyone said they thought Sheraton had really come through and that Mr. Cushman did a great job of making everyone feel welcome (Two of the gang run with Hilton all year and said they had never had such service)

Now a more formal report:

Parking : C . self park

Check in: A, Plat. folder all set, upgraded to suite

Room: A, Nice "all in one " suite...large

Club:B
Good size, soft drinks, coffee all day, drinks at night at hotel prices, snacks were a C, breakfast excellent Cont. breakfast (No hot stuff) good service

Location: A ,Less then 10 min. from Airport , 20 min downtown Portland, Mall of Maine across street, right on I95

Pool:B, Indoor....Pretty large, I could do laps.

Service was outstanding, every one said hello, good day, thought I was in BKK or AUH!!!

PS: Our rate was 116.00+ through Starwoodcentral........I recieved everyones room points and got three stays (not sure how that worked out but what the heck.........) Enjoy.....
Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:54 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Nice write up, Tom.

I live about 4 miles from this place and have been in contact over recent months with the relatively new GM there and can tell you that there is a breath of fresh air in the Sheraton S Portland.

While its exterior architecture is unfortunate (think 1973 UFO pods), the staff these days is really trying very hard to be the best in town.

I'm glad your stay there was a good one. Thanks for taking the time to write about it.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AirCan Prestige
Originally Posted by TomT
PS: Our rate was 116.00+ through Starwoodcentral........I recieved everyones room points and got three stays (not sure how that worked out but what the heck.........) Enjoy.....

That sounds like a good rate. What is Starwood Central?

Thanks for your trip report.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by ottawaflyer21
That sounds like a good rate. What is Starwood Central?
My guess is Starwood Central would be Starwood Central Reservations which is also known as the Customer Contact Center.

Warmest regards,

Valerie Saunders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Starwood central???

Greetings;

I may have voiced the wrong term......Starcentral is how I booked my reservations and how I just about book all my reservations.I wrote STARWOOD CENTRAL in my thread....sorry .....

Starcentral is the web page for Starwood vacation owners. As a vacation owner one of the "perks" is 10% off on any *wood location (At least I think it is any, never have had a problem)

If I remember right the price for a room at the South Portland Sheraton was 129.00....I paid 116.50+=124.23......This discount works every time...but.....it is cut in stone....you pay up front like on "internet only" prices (But, the hotels can adjust the reservation if need be )

Hope this clears it up.....by the way ,ownning a time share through Starwood has worked well for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.