Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa (Austin, TX) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various

Just curious to know if anybody has stayed at the HR Los Pines. Room rates are kinda high at $249 n/t for a standard room and a whopping (nearly) $100 up-charge to a Regency Club Room.

I'd be interested in knowing some details about this property if anybody knows.

Thanks!!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Yes, I stayed their on June 7 (soon after it opened). I was not very impressed. But then again, it could just be that it is not my cup of tea. The resort is a little to "rugged" and "lodge" like for my taste. The rooms where okay, the landscaping is lacking and may just not be finished. I know that many things were not as completed as they had hoped, since upon check-in I was handed a letter saying that my room rate had been reduced by 30%. This made it something like $100 for the night. I really only did it to get in an extra stay credit. I had been at the Downtown Austin property the night before. Also once you get off the main road it seems like forever before you reach the hotel. The parking is also a LONG walk from the main entrance (I was too cheap to valet).

I definitely don't think it is worth over $200/night, and wouldn't pay that. If I could get it cheaper and only stay one night for the stay credit I would consider it, but a lenghtly stay there would bore me to death.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:02 am

We just returned from this resort...we enjoyed our stay there. It is a bit rugged, but hey, that's texas for you. This resort is very similar to the Hill Country resort, but much newer obviously. Lazy river, smores, layout are very similar. The spa facilities are much nicer...not reserved exclusively for those getting treatments. The RC spread wasn't bad-a hot item, and quite a few cold items as well.

There isn't too much to do around the resort, so if you stay there, expect to eat there unless you don't mind driving out "into" town.
Old May 8, 2007, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Rooms

How were you accommodations at this property?

Since the place is new, is anything much different from other Hyatt properties?
Old May 21, 2007, 10:09 pm

Brief Trip Report

I'm currently at this resort.

Overall, it is very nice...and reminds me of the remote nature of the Cambridge MD location and Tamaya NM resort. This Hyatt is really in the middle of nowhere outside of Austin ...hidden in the woods beyond what must be the longest driveway in the Hyatt family of hotels.

However, rooms and public areas are well furnished, all staff is friendly/warm, food/spa is up to par (although food prices are lower than I expected, spa costs are much higher than I though ...roughly 2x/more what other Hyatt spa resorts charge for comparable services.)

If you're looking for a mega resort in a high-traffic area with lots of things/places to do/see, this isn't for you. But if you like to get away and enjoy a family-friendly upscale resort without the need of leaving the property, this place is for you.
Old May 22, 2007, 2:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Just stayed there for a conference. Also agree with Weatherboy - it reminds me of the Cambridge property. I liked the setting in Texas hill country along the Colorado river. Staff was amazingly friendly and helpful.

Was a good at facility for the event I attended. Lots of cool historcal photos and art in the conference area hallways. Food was decent, room was comfortable enough, liked the golf course (plays very long), and enjoyed the pool. Also, I did not mind the 30 minute drive into town to catch some music on 6th Street (I live in LA - do not get to enjoy an open road that often!). Definitely not a place to stay for an Austin business trip, but I could see coming back there with kids and staying for a few days and even using as a base to explore central Texas.

Also had a $100 dining certificate for a future stay between 7/15 and 1/31 in my room. Not sure if that was specific to this property or something Hyatt is doing across the board?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: HH diamond, Hyatt diamond, *wood plat, Delta Diamond 4th yr, SWA A List
Thumbs down Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Austin/Bastrop, Tx

Finishing up two night stay here, WOW. Glad I didnt stay at Hyatt Pl. Lost Pines is really great, especially the Regency Club lounge. The staff here are some of the most friendly hotel workers I have ever had met. The valet, front desk, lounge concierges, and housekeepers all appeared to be genuinely friendly and positive. Ive really enjoyed this stay.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:26 am

Programs: Hyatt, *wood, DL, UA, the Anywhere pass
I stayed at this hotel for just one night in late October of 2007 and was looking forward to different scenery and experiencing what a Hyatt resort outside of Hawaii had to offer. I flew to Austin by myself over a long weekend since I'd never been there before and heard it was a cool place.

My highlights of the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort:
  • Encountered two rattlesnakes (very exciting) on the path during my afternoon walk on the property along the river (underwhelming).
  • Hopped in the "river current" pool at dusk for a relaxing float on an inner tube. (My swimsuit turned from a dark brown to a dark pink after that 20-minute float--it still emits a lovely chlorine fragrance to this day.)
  • Experienced a tremendous and beautiful Texas lightning storm (much more interesting than the very limited selection of television channels).
  • Woke to the resulting mini waterfeature descending from the ceiling in my room, a shorted-out air-conditioning control, and a very humid room.
  • Spent from 3:00-3:30 AM rigging up and re-securing a water-collection system (ice buckets, dry-cleaning bag on back of chair, trash can)

I don't know if you can request the in-room waterfeature like I got. If not, then the spa facilities are nice.

I did not get to experience any of the exceptional service except for a friendly employee on a golf cart who offered me a ride as I walked both to and from the spa. The lodge looked comfortable and inviting, but to me, the location just felt like I was vacationing in the suburbs. I would actually prefer "rugged" more than "suburban."

This would be an okay resort property if you were attending a business-related function or maybe for a mid-sized wedding.

PS
Please note that while I think the suburbs are a fine place to spend some time, I can stay in the suburbs for much less than I paid to endure maintenance issues at the Lost Pines Resort. Also, sorry for not offering a more current review, but I don't expect to stay there again.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:06 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by hopabout
Also, sorry for not offering a more current review, but I don't expect to stay there again.
hopabout - first off please allow me to welcome you to Flyertalk and our Hyatt corner

Your review is very helpful even though its almost a year old since this is a property that is not often discussed - so thank you for posting.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
any recent reviews?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Just burned a couple of FFN at the Lost Pines resort, which is really located in the middle of nowhere and although there are two huge billboards coming from both Austin and Bastrop on the 71, it is easy to miss the entrance. If you self park (Valet is $ 15 per night)
be aware that the Lost Pines gives some other resorts ( Grand Cypress or Grand Champions ) a hard time in the competition for the award of longest distance possible between the parking lot and your room. If you have a room close to the spa and you park at the end of the parking lot we are talking about half a mile, if you go via the main lobby.

RC was closed and the ‘upgrade’ to a corner room appeared to be a downgrade, no balcony at all and just a regular room in terms of size and amenities. Made sure to get another room, which had a balcony, but the person checking us in could not be more bored. Fastest check in that I ever encountered, no further information given, no map of the resort etc. …

Rooms were decent, bath quite big ( tub and separate shower ), everything else standard Hyatt resort quality, home work done, but nothing to write home about.

The pools were not heated and even the hot tub was closed. Tried our luck at the Spa Django, which has a heated pool and a hot tub, but they charged $ 15 per day and guest
( despite the resort fee of $ 15 ) At least at some other resorts, the fee for the spa is included with the resort fee. Facilities at the spa are very modern, however wooden lounge chairs without any cushion are simply not comfortable….
Charges for massages etc. ( as always at Hyatt resorts ) bordering on the ridiculous…

Location on the Colorado River is nice, trails around the resort are diverse, but not really well kept.

Expected a lot from a new Hyatt resort, maybe too much, so was a little bit disappointed especially when one has to pay $ 200 + for a regular room as they charge these days….
Old May 20, 2009, 2:09 pm

Update

Just wrapped up another trip at Lost Pines. Not much has changed since my earlier trip report in this thread. Some highlights:

-in-room internet is horrible! It took about 90 seconds to download a page from FlyerTalk --forget about anything more robust like YouTube and definitely not Hulu. If you have a text-based email system to swap text-based messages, the "high-speed" internet is for you... but otherwise, it's horrible, ancient-like connection. Like a 300mps modem without a screech.

-cell-phone service remains horrible! Despite promises of a new cell tower coming in soon (and renewed promises this trip), cell coverage for Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T is horrible if not non-existant. I was able to get a 1-bar signal in the valet parking lot... and a 2-bar signal by the edge of the adult pool on the opposite end of the resort. When it came to the room and the immediate resort grounds, forget it. This can be good or bad: if you're hear on business, it's a nightmare. But if you're looking to disconnect from the grid, it's awesome. For me, my phone hasn't worked in nearly the week I've been here.

-Regency Club is very nice, stocked with a huge selection of things to eat and snack on even during the middle of the day. Last weekend was the last weekend for the free open bar; they're adapting the honor bar policy of charging for drinks starting this Monday.

-Service was very warm and friendly all-around.

-Lots of wildlife. Snakes, armadillos, butterflies, and hummingbirds are everywhere-- hard to miss them!
Old May 20, 2009, 11:08 pm

Pictures Posted

I've posted my pictures on Facebook under the "Weatherboy Weather" profile page there.

As you can see, the resort was rather empty... especially the pool, which had at most 5 guests using it?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:07 am

Just completed a one night stay at Lost Pines this weekend. A quick, spontaneous trip to celebrate our daughter's birthday. The resort has come a long way since we stayed there shortly after it opened 3 years ago and we were overall pleased with our stay. The landscaping has improved considerably as has the service. Upon mentioning my daughter's birthday, the check-in clerk presented her with a nice box of Godiva truffles. The Regency Club offered a nice assortment of food and beverage options. Although the bar service is now an "honor" bar, the prices weren't bad: $3 for wine and $4 for cocktails, certainly a bargain compared to Stories! Sylvia, who staffed the RC in the evening, was very pleasant and helpful.

As for our daughter's special birthday dinner at Stories, we were underwhelmed. When I made the reservation, I told them it was for a special occasion and they even asked my daughter's age, so I was surprised when there was no "Happy Birthday" mention at all during our dinner. The restaurant was barely half full, so we were curious why we were initially told that they were so busy that night we could not be seated until 9 pm. At about 5:30, we got a call that there had been a cancellation for 7:30, so we took it. While service was initially friendly and prompt, after we finished our appetizers, we were not approached for another hour, when our main course was finally served. By this point, we were so tired & cold (The temperature was way too chilly.) that we quickly ate our unremarkable lobster and rack of lamb and I took my daughter to warm up at the RC with coffee and dessert right before they closed at 9 pm, while my husband waited for the check. I'm awfully glad we didn't have to wait until our original 9 pm reservation time, or we would have starved if we had to wait until 10:15 for our meal to be served!
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:01 pm

Update on Stories restaurant

I wanted to post an update based on our more recent experience dining at the fine dining restaurant at this property, Stories. We recently gave them another chance for a birthday celebration. (With a sub $100 room rate and $150 DEL5K dining credit, it was worth a shot!) This time, birthday congratulations were offered by several members of the staff and a complimentary dessert as well. Dining is still a very leisurely event, with the main entree arriving about an hour after we sat down, but this time there was an apology for the delay and an additional desert offered on the house. We enjoyed the experience much more this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.