Search

*A Upgrades finally here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
*A Upgrades finally here

Link form 1K website

Ensuring your comfort on flights has just gotten a little easier. We're pleased to announce the introduction of Star Alliance® Upgrade Awards, which enable you to redeem Mileage Plus® miles for upgrades on participating Star Alliance carriers. Star Alliance is proud to be the first airline alliance to allow customers to use miles earned through one frequent flyer program to upgrade on another airline.

Beginning July 17, 2006, Mileage Plus members will enjoy Star Alliance Upgrade Awards on Asiana, TAP Portugal and Thai Airways. On July 24, 2006, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards will also be available on ANA, Austrian Airlines Group, LOT Polish Airlines and Lufthansa.

As always, you can earn Mileage Plus miles for every flight on any Star Alliance or Air Partner. Visit united.com/starupgrades for more details or to book your Star Alliance Upgrade Award.

Geordieflyer
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:02 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
No SQ upgrades?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow good to know Although why isn't SQ in this
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:22 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Savage25
No SQ upgrades?
Anyone know when/if SQ might be added?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:38 am

Programs: UA, AA
With new Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, you will enjoy:

1. One-cabin upgrades from eligible fares (C, D, Y, B booking classes) to the next class of service
No M/H ?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
SQ is most likely holding out because they feel that they can and should command a premium. They will study how this will affect their bottomline and if they do join, there will be very few seats of that nature and lots of restrictions. Why? SQ is run by cheap ba$tards and they are only keen on folks paying for the full priviledge to fly in their biz class.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by jujube
SQ is most likely holding out because they feel that they can and should command a premium. They will study how this will affect their bottomline and if they do join, there will be very few seats of that nature and lots of restrictions. Why? SQ is run by cheap ba$tards and they are only keen on folks paying for the full priviledge to fly in their biz class.
Nonsense. SQ accepts upgrade awards issued by LH. Must have something to do with UA, I guess...
Old Jul 18, 2006, 3:54 am

Programs: BA, UA
...SQ is run by cheap ba$tards and they are only keen on folks paying for the full priviledge to fly in their biz class.
And the problem with that is?

So an airline wants its premium passengers to pay premium fares. Don't get me wrong, I love upgrades as much as the next traveller, but if they can put paying bums on seats, what else should they be expected to do?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:39 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Just tried to upgrade on the interactive page:
https://www.ua2go.com/starmua/secure...rch.jsf?mpNum=

Very sad, it seemeed to know my TAP reservation was M class and gave me the bum's rush
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:05 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
*A upgrades have always been just the Y/B/C/D fares.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Just to confirm ... these are supposed to be advance, confirmed upgrades, right?

Anyone have the upgrade schedule (miles chart)?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, 1MM, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Scott218
*A upgrades have always been just the Y/B/C/D fares.
But not for LH. Will they eliminate the M/H upgrades?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:55 am

Programs: Lots
SQ accepts upgrades from NH and LH through the same program. It's UA specifically. I'm not surprised, to be honest.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:03 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Hmm ORD-KRK upgrade seems to be 20K. Not to shabby to upgrade on LOT. All they need is their new C class, and ill be fine
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by Axey
SQ accepts upgrades from NH and LH through the same program. It's UA specifically. I'm not surprised, to be honest.
My guess is that SQ realizes that UA miles are a throughly degraded currency, with the constant flow of double, triple, quadruple and othe bonus miles for doing little more than punching your MP number into a website.

Airlines like ANA, LOT, Thai and TAP are probably using this to try to draw UA customers to their service offerings as they are a bit lesser-known quantities, whereas the immediate reaction on this board indicates that SQ has no such issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.