International Power Converters

Subscribe
Does anyone have a recommendation for a versatile, very portable, not too expensive international power converter?

I will use it in NZ, Australia and Europe on a digital camera, laptop, (maybe wife's curling iron) and maybe rechargeable batteries (not a priority).

The one from Brookstone looked good and it looks like several people on FT have that one.

I really don't want to fry another digital camera.

Thanks.
This doesn't directly answer your question, but try to buy products that are 100-240V right off the bat so you won't need to buy, lug around, and keep track of a converter.

Most of the electronics that I get happen to come "universal voltage" ready anyway - one of my criteria for whether to purchase a particular item/model of a product.
Quote: Does anyone have a recommendation for a versatile, very portable, not too expensive international power converter?

I will use it in NZ, Australia and Europe on a digital camera, laptop, (maybe wife's curling iron) and maybe rechargeable batteries (not a priority).

The one from Brookstone looked good and it looks like several people on FT have that one.

I really don't want to fry another digital camera.

Thanks.
My Igo Juice70 works on AC 110/220, airplane outlets, car lighter outlets and recharges my notebook and camera or phones or ipod simultaneously. (igo.com for complete product info)
Your problem will be with curling irons and hairdryers. These non-electronic devices do not have the advantage of auto-sensing power supplies like the AC to DC on laptops, cell phones, etc. You truly need to change the voltage and ac frequency. Also, they require high power, much more than the usual 60 watts for charging ipods, etc. You can get voltage converters for this at around $50 at radio shack.

Anything with an auto-sensing 110-240 power supply simply requires a plug adapter. Tiny, easy to carry, no worries.
I fried a digital camera in Italy and another one in Switzerland. That's why I thought I needed a converter instead of an adapter.