MCO Turnaround

Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
MCO Turnaround

Afternoon all,
i am planning a small MR to retain BA Silver. One of the great way to earn Tier Points (to gain status with BA) is the YUP fares on AA.
I have priced out a SFO-MIA-MCO-MIA-SFO in restricted First and it is very appealing. The only query is that the turnaround at MCO is quite tight. the arrival departure times in November 06, MIA-MCO-MIA give me approx. 50minutes between landing and take off at MCO (7.40am and 8.40am from memory)
So my question is, is that enough time? I will only have hand luggage with me and i am guessing that it is the same plane making the return trip?
Any thoughts appreciated, if i have to wait for the next plane it messes with the MIA-SFO segment and gets me into SFO really late...
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi djsteve,

At MCO, there a only a few gates that AA use all within 100yards of each other ( assuming the plane is on time ( not sure if ti is the same plane but likely) it should not be a problem at all.

There is not an Admirals Club in MCO but there are a few places in the central area ( just before the tram service to the main terminal and baggage reclaim) to grab a snack/coffee ( these are all airside so no problem about reclearing security)

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:20 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
50 mins will be close, but you should be able to do it. Like TBS said, all of the AA gates are spitting distance from each other, and there is food fairly close to the AA gates. Airside 1, which is where the AA gates are located, doesn't have anything very fancy, or extremely good, but there is a Starbucks. Other notables are a Burger King and a Cinnabon.

If you can get a longer turnaround, there is a Chili's, Macaroni Grill, and a Fox Sports Bar in the Main Terminal, an Outback Steakhouse at Airside 4,
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: BA, DL, AA
As long as your arriving flight is on time, you should be OK. My past experience is that AA mixes the origin and destination of their planes. I have gone to NY on a plane arriving from Dallas and the plane arriving from NY has gone somewehere else. I have seen this time and time again. Otherwise, the gates are within the same section of the airport, there is no need to go to the terminal or TSA (security), and you can check in at the gate for your next flight. There is no AC, but with about an hour gap, you really do not have that large wait.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I'm no expert on BA tier points, but I seem to recall reading that A fares will not give you the same tier points as F fares (although I may be completely mistaken). Be sure you have done your research!
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by vasantn
I'm no expert on BA tier points, but I seem to recall reading that A fares will not give you the same tier points as F fares (although I may be completely mistaken). Be sure you have done your research!
YUP fares on AA 2 class service give F level BAEC tier points. The only potential caveat is if you don't get seated in F (which technically could happen but has never happened to me) you may only get coach level tier points.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:32 am

Programs: AA PLT
I would not worry at all. I fly MIA-MCO on AA very often and I have never seen a plane arriving from MIA not turn around back to MIA. Especially if you're on a 738 or AB6, there is no way your plane comes from anywhere else.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
I would not worry at all. I fly MIA-MCO on AA very often and I have never seen a plane arriving from MIA not turn around back to MIA. Especially if you're on a 738 or AB6, there is no way your plane comes from anywhere else.
thanks everyone, not worried about getting anything to eat really. sounds like i should be okay, think it is an AB6. presumably when i check in at SFO i will be able to get all my tickets there and then? so no rushing to get new tickets etc..
like others say no real point to seek a lounge out with such a short time anyhow.
cheers dj
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
With some turnarounds it is possible to spot from the timetable if it is likely to be the same a/c (not possible at some airports). When I did a similar run last year I was able to select flights that were obviously same a/c turnaround so I was relaxed about a very short connection (about 30 minutes IIRC).
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:20 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
These flights are usually the same AB6 aircraft it just flies MIA-MCO-MIA.

No Problems on this one.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
Originally Posted by UncleDude
These flights are usually the same AB6 aircraft it just flies MIA-MCO-MIA.

No Problems on this one.
That is correct. Same aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.