Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Allowance Changes - It's Official

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Two words: PRODUCT DIFFERENTIATION.
That is the whole problem though. The DfT want one consistent handbaggage policy and are not prepared to make ammendments to what ammounts to the UK policy for all airlines. BA has flexed the wording of the DfT to allow the maximum it can get away with. Any reduction would affect all classes. In short BA are not thrilled either (certainly at the front line)! As I mentioned previously the DfT will monitor progress with conformance and if not satisfied (when are they ) will consider writing the handluggage policy for them. We all saw what a hash they made of LHR security recently by helping the BAA out!

The thing to consider is that most Club passengers will be able to take what they need with the new allowance (not all, but most), it shouldn't matter too much what others are allowed, does it allow you to take what you need? Hopefully it will.....
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Are They Nuts?

What drugs are the people on that advised BA their customers would be happy with this. I fly CW and First very often and I don't even see the extra baggage as a perk. ITS INCLUDED IN THE DAMN PRICE OF THE TICKET!

This is just NUTS again I say it NUTS!

Sort yourself out BA or people are going to start to move on.

Many other airlines out there after all!
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
That is the whole problem though. The DfT want one consistent handbaggage policy and are not prepared to make ammendments to what ammounts to the UK policy for all airlines. BA has flexed the wording of the DfT to allow the maximum it can get away with. Any reduction would affect all classes. In short BA are not thrilled either (certainly at the front line)! As I mentioned previously the DfT will monitor progress with conformance and if not satisfied (when are they ) will consider writing the handluggage policy for them.
Again, most of the complaints in this thread are related to the lowering of the individual piece weight for CHECK-IN LUGGAGE from 32 to 23kg. And this is nothing to do with the Dft. BA lowered this for all pax, while other airlines still allow 32kg per piece for premium pax. Guess who'll be getting premium pax now.

I'm off to YYZ for a conference in July. I will have about 10-12kg of paperwork with me in my checked bag, along with clothes and other personal items. Total weight would be about 25-28kg. I am not willing to take 2 items of check-in luggage. Instead I've just moved my (flexible J) ticket to AC. I plan to send a quick email to BA, with both my old BA and new AC PNRs. And state my reason for the switch.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:23 pm

Again, most of the complaints in this thread are related to the lowering of the individual piece weight for CHECK-IN LUGGAGE from 32 to 23kg. And this is nothing to do with the Dft. BA lowered this for all pax, while other airlines still allow 32kg per piece for premium pax. Guess who'll be getting premium pax now.

I'm off to YYZ for a conference in July. I will have about 10-12kg of paperwork with me in my checked bag, along with clothes and other personal items. Total weight would be about 25-28kg. I am not willing to take 2 items of check-in luggage. Instead I've just moved my (flexible J) ticket to AC. I plan to send a quick email to BA, with both my old BA and new AC PNRs. And state my reason for the switch.
AJ, don't email, write to Willie Walsh at Waterside instead. It'll get read there, unlike the email to the useless contact centre. I know it takes a few more minutes to do, but hopefully it will make a difference.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Greg66
And how accurate are the scales at check-in? How often are they calibrated, and by whom? This looks like a profit centre in the making, so will Trading Standards be round to check up on the check in scales? Why do I doubt it?
I suspect that if these scales are used for the weighing of items for determining a cost to the consumer, then they would have to be inspected, a la Sainsburys, Tesco etc. Hounslow Trading Standards will be busy.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dave_C
AJ, don't email, write to Willie Walsh at Waterside instead. It'll get read there, unlike the email to the useless contact centre. I know it takes a few more minutes to do, but hopefully it will make a difference.
Good idea! Will do just that.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:49 pm

Good idea! Will do just that.
But also, I've just noticed, the new policy for checked bags doesn't apply until October, so you're actually ok for up to 32kgs until then.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Weights and Measures Act 1985

It would appear that the above act is relevent as witnessed below.

Originally Posted by Hants.gov.uk
The Act establishes a hierarchy of standards of weight, length, area, volume and capacity. The Service is responsible for maintaining Local- and Working-Standards and for ensuring that all weighing and measuring equipment in use for trade is accurate. A very wide range of equipment is involved, from the barrow boy's vegetable scale, to sophisticated bulk fuel metering systems and computerised packing equipment in factories.
So make sure that you ask to see the paperwork relating to the scales that you're stuff is weighed with, this might be a only be an official sticker on the machine, but if they try and charge me & that's missing.....

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jun 13, 2006 at 2:05 pm
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:55 pm

From what i have heard this will be implemented worldwide by all airlines. Someone had to do it first and the Bearded one from Virgin has not got the spine to be the first. Wait for BA to get all the flack then slide it in soon after (like when they rais there fuel surcharge wait for BA then do it straight after).

Ok before in F or J you could take a 30kg case to India, China or Auz. Now you can take combined 46 KG's of baggage but it has to be split over 2 bags equally. Ok its not ideal but since when has anything in this world been ideal?

Also for the person saying baggage handlers are getting lazy, maybe you can try crawling round on your hands and knees trying to move and pile a 32kg bag around a aircraft hold. While not been a baggage handler myself i can appreciate how hard it must be for them.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dave_C
But also, I've just noticed, the new policy for checked bags doesn't apply until October, so you're actually ok for up to 32kgs until then.
True enough. But I guess they can consider it a pre-emptive strike at WW!
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Railgun
Also for the person saying baggage handlers are getting lazy, maybe you can try crawling round on your hands and knees trying to move and pile a 32kg bag around a aircraft hold. While not been a baggage handler myself i can appreciate how hard it must be for them.
If someone doesn't LIKE being a bag-handler because "it's too hard" on them then maybe they should STOP being a bag handler....

It's not like their is a GUN to these people heads...there are plenty of professions at all education levels you can pursue if you CANNOT DO THE WORK REQUIRED to be a bag-handler...

My question is that do these bag handlers get a reduction in pay for carrying lighter loads? I mean the job will be easier now, won't it...maybe they should take a pay cut to reflect the reduced bag weight....

- HF
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
If someone doesn't LIKE being a bag-handler because "it's too hard" on them then maybe they should STOP being a bag handler....

It's not like their is a GUN to these people heads...there are plenty of professions at all education levels you can pursue if you CANNOT DO THE WORK REQUIRED to be a bag-handler...

My question is that do these bag handlers get a reduction in pay for carrying lighter loads? I mean the job will be easier now, won't it...maybe they should take a pay cut to reflect the reduced bag weight....

- HF
Hopefully in years to come people will be forced to load your own bag into the aircraft hold. We will then see how long they last before reducing the weight of you checked baggage due to back problems.

Also H & S incase people did not know is there to improve peoples H & S. Thats why you can no longer do things you used to be able to in the work place .

Last edited by Railgun; Jun 13, 2006 at 2:21 pm
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
To be honest, for me these changes are more positive than negative. I concur with the problem related to travelling with children and too many suitcases. When we travel with kids in tow, we have at least one large suitcase which we struggle to keep to 32KG. But I think that overall, this is manageable. Personally, since I mainly travel in WT for leisure I stand to benefit from the changes.

More importantly however, most of my travel with BA is for business and is usually for 4-5 nights. I can easily fit everything I need (suit, change of clothes, toileteries, and work-out gear) in a roll-on but have fallen fowl of strict check-in agents that have enforced weight restrictions. This will make my business travel much easier. Even when travelling for a fortnight it's simple to use hotel laundry services and use a roll-on only.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Railgun
Hopefully in years to come people will be forced to load your own bag into the aircraft hold. We will then see how long they last before reducing the weight of you checked baggage due to back problems.

Also H & S incase people did not know is there to improve peoples H & S. Thats why you can no longer do things you used to be able to in the work place .

Hey if they LET ME I would, if I got a reduction in my ticket cost (can I give YOU the rolleyes now? )...If I pull my back out with MY stuff then that's MY problem...I lug my bags from my bed where I load my suitcase, I carry it out to my car or taxi and I drag it into the airport...I lift my bags ALL DAY LONG when I travel....if I PAY someone to lift and transport my bags, I shouldn't have to worry about it as long it's a reasonable weight...32 kgs (especially on a F,J ticket) is absolutely reasonable.

If I pull my back out because my job is to be PAID to load airplanes with heavy bags, well maybe I should consider another career that doesn't require me lifting heavy things...people are not stupid, you don't like to or cannot lift heavy objects, get a different job...

These rules have VERY LITTLE to do with Health and Safety to workers...that's just a shill to make workers job easier (for the same pay) to the detriment of customers. These new rules have everything to do with fuel costs and reducing weight on the airplanes for the company. Regardless, if the bags are 23 or 32 kgs the cost of workers H&S are negligible...the issue is weight for fuel.

I guarantee if each person on a bag handling crew on a flight were paid an extra $10 a bag to lift anything between 23-32 kgs; they would have NO problem doing it...

This is about fuel costs and if you pay 1000 GBP for a J ticket should be able to have a 32 kg bag....

- HF
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:22 pm

It not worth the time.

Last edited by Railgun; Jun 13, 2006 at 3:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.