Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2004, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Arrow Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

We just returned from a 15 day trip to Japan. I just wanted to say how great the Westin Osaka was. Definitely our favorite western style hotel of the trip. We were traveling with our 2 teenage sons so we rented two rooms since hotel rooms in Japan are notoriously small.

We were checking in for one night, then leaving our bags at the hotel while we spent a night at a monastary at Koyasan, then retuning to the Westin on the third night.

The Osaka Westin rooms were very large--even by US standards. They were well-decorated with lovely huge bathrooms. Even more importantly, the service was wonderful.

Apoparently (I slept through it) on the first night we had a knock at the door around 10 p.m.--we were confused with another party that wanted to change rooms. As I checked us out the next morning, tha manager came up to me and apologized profusely (Can you imagine this happening in the U.S.?) *laughing* I had to ask my husband what he was talking about!

Not only were the bags kept free, but when we checked in again, the bags were already in the rooms. When we checked in for the second time, they had all the check-in information compuerized on the sheet. Then both rooms had a little appreciation snack of furits and chocolate truffles.

There is a free shuttle to Osaka Station.

The main downside to this hotel is location. It is a bit our of the way of the main shopping or tourist areas. The other is that high speed internet access (available in the room) costs an additional 10000 yen per night (about $10). Also, the gym is an extra charge. (But this is balanced by the fact it was a much lower per night cost than other hotels we stayed at in big cities.)

On the other hand, it is right next door to Umeda sky tower, which is nice for viewing and there is a fun little floor of Japanese restaurants (about 15 or so I would say). The sushi bar there is great and fun and friendly!
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
For the free shuttle to Osaka station, is this something that occurs every 30 mins (or whatever) or is it by request only?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 4:42 pm

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
I love Westin Osaka as well. The shuttle bus occurs every 20 mins.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
yasuki Keep posting. We need more resident Japanese experts. I also enjoyed the Westin. The Ritz is exceptional in Osaka.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 5:46 pm

Yes, loved the Westin. Rooms are really large, I'm still using a pair of the terry slippers supplied with the room. Loved the big bathroom. Do you still need to press the "special" button on the remote to get english language shows? I didn't know about this the first visit. Good Japanese style restaurant but also a nice Western breakfast in the lounge.
I liked the rooms better than the Osaka Imperial although that is also a good hotel
Old Aug 6, 2004, 7:11 pm

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
PLT treatment good at Westin Osaka

Stayed for one night back in April and was given a very nice full one bedroom suite on the very top floor (darker more formal decor) had two full bathrooms and large living room with great view of Shin Umeda tower. Breakfast was in Exec lounge where the service was very personable (a little unusual for Japan) as it is usually polite and reserved .. here they were even inquisitive (politely of course) about how my day was and where I was going to next on my trip. Very nice drinks and hors d'ouevres spread .. served at your seat after you inspected the table. Breakfast done in the same service manner. Small lounge so cant imagine when hotel exec floors are full. there is a pc for internet use in the exec floor business centre which has to be opened up by an attendant and a fairly high usage charge (cant recall exactly how high).
Nice pool as well.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by yasuki
I love Westin Osaka as well. The shuttle bus occurs every 20 mins.
Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:03 am

Another one in Japan here
Yes the Westin Osaka is overall a nice hotel but I know they were not upgrading
Platinums to executive floor rooms and denied access to the club lounge for
a loooong time. But they really improved their services and are now compliant
with SPG benefits including "real" suite upgrades.

The service, however, I personally think is standard here in Japan.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 1:25 pm
Permanently Banned

What is there to do around the hotel, and how far of a walk is it to the main touristy/shopping areas?
Old Aug 10, 2004, 2:09 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Originally Posted by ExploreTheWorld
Another one in Japan here
...but I know they were not upgrading Platinums to executive floor rooms and denied access to the club lounge for a loooong time.
I think this changed partly due to our good friend The Starwood Lurker...
Old Aug 10, 2004, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
More

The service, however, I personally think is standard here in Japan.
Well, I agree overall service in Japan is exceptional. We stayed at three "Western-style" hotels (New Miyako in Kyoto and Renaissance Tobu Ginza in Tokyo)--while the other two were very good--far beyond most U.S. properties--I found the Westin Osaka service beyond the others. Just my experience....since I'm not a platinum--the upgrades & amenities were not an issue.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:01 am
Suspended

Osaka : Westin or Hilton

Has anyone stayed at the Westin Osaka recently ?

It appears that the Osaka Hilton is in a better location (train station for easy transfer to KIX etc) and looks newer, but with the current "double stay credit & double points" promo with Starwood I am a little reluctant to give up an extra stay credit.

Is the Osaka Hilton way ahead of the Westin Osaka, or just marginally better ?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I have the highest status with Hilton and Starwood. I will be in Osaka for one night in March 2005. I picked the Hilton after research. I have actually stayed at the Westin Osaka on my first visit to Japan. It was ok but the area around the Hotel at least at that time was nothing. Pass. IMHO
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:13 pm

Hi RTWSTARALLIANCE, I thought time travel was still fiction but am glad to see you stayed at the Westin Osaka in March 2005 I did stay at the same Hotel in Oct 2004 with my wife and as Platinum was upgraded to a suite, had full lounge access for both of us and when I had to leave Osaka quickly and cancel my bookings at Yokohama and Tokyo (Typhoon was on its way) the staff in the lounge were extremely helpful and did all the cancelleations for me. Tha station being nearby was quite handy.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:10 pm

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
Well I am mostly staying when I am on Business trip in Osaka at the Hilton, since it is our company hotel.

Well I stayed over the last years more 6 weeks in total, it is big, very comfortable and if you have a HH Honors Gold status, they will upgrade you to the Eexecutive Floor their lounge is very nice. The Westin is certainly the same quality as the Hilton, better at the WEstion are for sure their heavenly beds , which are better than Hilton.

But the Hilton certainly has the better location being opposite the Umeda station and being inside of a shopping mall, which unfortunately is very expensive, it is also opposite of Yodobashi, one of the biggest electronci shops in Japan.

The hilton is certainly more convenient if you want to go out in the evening and not taking a shuttle service ( which I heard the WEstin has) or a taxi.

So in the end it comes down to preference and maybe with what Hotel chain you have the better status.

It is in my opinion a matter of personal preference, since I honestly think that both hotels are about the same quality, but me personally I always liked Westin more than Hilton, but unfortunately I have to stay at the Hilton because of company policy,

but if you want to have a real treat, go to the Ritz Carlton, Osaka, Club floor level, very near the Hilton.... this is a different league, I can assure you, I loved it there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.