Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
According to the beeb, the UN has brokered a cease fire:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/5024482.stm

I wonder how long that will last?
Old May 28, 2006, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted several months. This is not the first time there has been an exchange of fire like this, although it has been several years since it was on such a widespread scale.

I am finding it interesting how the various news media are reporting it.

The BBC reported it with about two sentences which made it seem like only military targets were hit by either side.

CNN had a slightly longer report and on its website is saying "Around 3 p.m. (8 a.m. ET), Hezbollah fighters began firing Katyusha rockets, mortars and machine guns into several Israeli towns and villages."

(That timing coincides with when I started this thread.)

The Jerusalem Post did not name the areas which were hit but Israel's Channel 2 television listed them, and included my kibbutz (Yiron) and our neighbors of Avivim and Dovev.

It is true that Yiron was hit but not in any populated area -- only in our apple fields.
Old May 28, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Stay safe Dov.

(Complete nonsequiter, but one you might find amusing...I just sent an email to family and friends announcing the birth of our son this morning. Within 3 minutes I then called family in Gedera that I know doesn't have email, and they answered the phone Mazal Tov (congratulations) because someone else in Israel had already called them....at which time I realized, if I don't start calling people over here in the US immediately, the Israeli phone tree is going to spill the beans before I have a chance.)
Old May 28, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Mazel Tov Jakebeth. Congrats on the birth of your son. Hope mom and babe are doing well
Old May 28, 2006, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Congrats, Jakebeth. Of course, this is not the first I had heard of your son's birth.

My daughter called me to tell me...she heard it from the guy who runs the felafel stand in Kiryat Gat.

Dov
Old May 28, 2006, 9:31 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by Dovster
It appears now to be over. There has been no shooting for a while, the television news announced that there has been a ceasefire, and Dementia has returned to her house.

We are still, however, being told to stay in our homes.
So you get custody of the dog?
Old May 28, 2006, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Congrats, Jakebeth. Of course, this is not the first I had heard of your son's birth.

My daughter called me to tell me...she heard it from the guy who runs the felafel stand in Kiryat Gat.

Dov

That's all the funnier given that I know the Gedera folks through a wonderful family from where else?....Kiryat Gat. They, of course, were the last to know about baby Jakebeth, as they're currenty vacationing in...Chicago.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoldFlyer
So you get custody of the dog?
Now, you know that's not a nice way to refer to Dementia.
Old May 29, 2006, 3:57 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Stay safe Dov.

(Complete nonsequiter, but one you might find amusing...I just sent an email to family and friends announcing the birth of our son this morning. Within 3 minutes I then called family in Gedera that I know doesn't have email, and they answered the phone Mazal Tov (congratulations) because someone else in Israel had already called them....at which time I realized, if I don't start calling people over here in the US immediately, the Israeli phone tree is going to spill the beans before I have a chance.)
We got a call from Israel yesterday too.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Same story today:

Within the last few minutes eight Katuysha rockets were shot in my general direction (they sounded like they were very close).

I have a feeling that you are going to be seeing more about this (and Israel's inevitable reaction) on the news very soon.

Earlier this week, I was very happy to bring my daughter back to the kibbutz. She had just finished college near the Gaza Strip and there had been a number of Kassam rockets being fired in her area.

Now, she is experiencing Katuyshas being shot from Lebanon.

(The Army just sent us SMSs telling us to go to our bomb shelters. It was followed by a second SMS telling us that they are now shooting at Hizbollah outposts.)

No news as to whether my ex and her dog will be coming to my house.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:20 am
nfc

Programs: WN AList; Delta Nada; Hilton DIamond; Marriot Gold
Stay safe!

What's Hizbollah's excuse for firing rockets this time? As if there has to be one
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nfc
Stay safe!

What's Hizbollah's excuse for firing rockets this time? As if there has to be one
It's too early for any reason to be given. Right now, they are too busy trying to avoid Israeli return fire.

I got back from Italy on July 4 and put a big American flag in front of my house to celebrate Independence Day. It is still up there and we are close enough to the Lebanese border that it can be seen by Hizbollah with a decent pair of binoculars.

I hope they are not using it as an aiming point!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:47 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Sounds like you are living quite a dangerous life out there in your Kibbutz, Dovster. I hope the attacks won't get you hurt, or any of your family and friends. I wonder if/how/when this will ever come to an end.
Merci for your reports mon cher ! Stay safe.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:51 am
nfc

Programs: WN AList; Delta Nada; Hilton DIamond; Marriot Gold
I can think of a few things in Arabic that I'd love to put on a sign for Hizbollah to see

Oh! and I look forward to reading the UN condemnation of this attack on Israel

It's too early for any reason to be given. Right now, they are too busy trying to avoid Israeli return fire.

I got back from Italy on July 4 and put a big American flag in front of my house to celebrate Independence Day. It is still up there and we are close enough to the Lebanese border that it can be seen by Hizbollah with a decent pair of binoculars.

I hope they are not using it as an aiming point!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Apparently, Hizbollah launched the attacks all along the border (I could only hear what was happening near my own home) usings both mortars and rockets.

Its purpose was to serve as a diversion during which time it entered Israel and kidnapped two Israeli soldiers serving on the border.

Israel is now involved in a number of retaliatory actions (as far as I know, they involve shelling and air attacks but no ground forces).

Given the situation in Gaza after the rocket attacks on Israel and the kidnapping of one soldier by Hamas, it is very possible that South Lebanon will soon be facing a similar situation.

This would be tragic for the people living there, most of whom have no desire for a war with Israel, but on the other hand Israel can not allow its citizens to come under rocket fire and its soldiers to be kidnapped.

Moreover, as Hizbollah operates only with the cooperation/permission of Syria the potential for a much wider-spread conflict can't be ignored.

BEYFlyer and I have a long-standing agreement to meet for drinks somewhere along the border as soon as our respective countries make that possible. Sadly, it seems like today's events have pushed back that meeting even further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.