Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2006, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0060518a2.html

Looks like almost all "foreigners"will fall under this dubious
new law.

A few snippets from the article:

"A bill requiring fingerprinting and photographing of foreigners upon entry to Japan was passed Wednesday as a way to prevent terrorism.

With the revision of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Law, an estimated 6 million to 7 million foreigners entering Japan every year will be obliged to have their fingerprints and photographs taken, along with other personal identification information.

The measure exempts people under age 16, ethnic Koreans and other special permanent residents, those invited by the government and people entering Japan for diplomatic or official purposes.

Other than that, all foreigners will be targeted. For people already living here and regardless of having a permanent, work or spouse visa, all will be obliged to be fingerprinted and photographed when re-entering the country.

Teranaka pointed out that foreign spouses of Japanese will now be treated differently than their partners."

Last edited by Q Shoe Guy; May 18, 2006 at 12:28 am
Old May 17, 2006, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stirring vote of confidence in the article in the quote from an anonymous Justice ministry official: "We know that many of the foreigners are neither terrorists nor criminals."

The U.S. invited this garbage when they started the U.S. program, which AFAIK has in its entire existence not found a single terrorist.
Old May 17, 2006, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Stirring vote of confidence in the article in the quote from an anonymous Justice ministry official: "We know that many of the foreigners are neither terrorists nor criminals."

The U.S. invited this garbage when they started the U.S. program, which AFAIK has in its entire existence not found a single terrorist.
Such a nice new law, especially after we got them to get our fingerprints off of the "Gaijin Cards". I am not pleased about being photographed everytime I come back in (along with all the other non-visa types), it is really going to slow things down for me at immigration . I thought it was one of the few perks about being "a permanent" here!!!!
Old May 17, 2006, 8:05 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The US doing this is one thing, Japan with it's soured relations to China, Korea etc. another. Let's see how the neighbours react. The mutual visa regulations between Japan and Korea were just about to be loosened...
Old May 17, 2006, 8:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Let's see how the neighbours react.
I can understand Korea or China being more angry if it were specifically targeted at Korean or Chinese citizens, but since it applies to *all foreign nationals, though I'm sure it would create stir, I don't think it could create as much a stir in China or Korea than if it were specifically targeted at Chinese or Korean citizens.

My guess (and its only a guess) would be a response by those governments requiring Japanese citizens (and or other citizens) visiting/staying fingerprinted and or photographed. Sorta like how Brazil responded to the US-visit program where they required all US Citizens visiting Brazil to be photographed and fingerprinted.

If I read correctly, according to USAToday the program in Japan should be in place by November 2007.
Old May 17, 2006, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
If I read correctly, according to USAToday the program in Japan should be in place by November 2007.
If they are going to make me go through the visitors line for this crap, I'm out of here by then. Their loss, idiots.
Old May 17, 2006, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
If they are going to make me go through the visitors line for this crap, I'm out of here by then. Their loss, idiots.
My thoughts too.......
Old May 17, 2006, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When this nonsense goes into overdrive, watch the lines get worse.
Old May 18, 2006, 1:16 am

It's lucky there are no Japanese terrorists.....oh wait...
Could be an upside to this though, it may convince the missus it's time to try pastures new.
Old May 18, 2006, 2:10 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
What buggers me most is that the people passing these laws know they are not going to have go through this humiliation when travelling. The VIP guests will still be exempted for the benefit of those dutiful American and Japanese lawmakers.
Old May 18, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
"Teranaka pointed out that foreign spouses of Japanese will now be treated differently than their partners."
In other words, foreign spouses are to be separated from their families and use the "tourist line" I assume.

Originally Posted by mosburger
What buggers me most is that the people passing these laws know they are not going to have go through this humiliation when travelling.
What we need is legislation abroad that will require all Japanese Parliamentarians entering any other country to go through a full body cavity search...and have their ID photograph taken in the process. And let's not forget to apply such "special attention" practices to the people who are taking this beyond all reasonable levels in the US as well.

Last edited by DoubleJ; May 18, 2006 at 9:41 am
Old May 18, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I say we go beyond basic compliance - In addition to finger prints, photographs and iris scans at the point of entry, I might also provide a urine sample to the lawmakers who approved these entry requirements.

After all, they're taking the p**s with this legislation.

Last edited by jib71; May 18, 2006 at 10:02 am
Old May 18, 2006, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
[url]Teranaka pointed out that foreign spouses of Japanese will now be treated differently than their partners."
Most of those arrested or found guilty of terrorist acts in Britain have been British citizens (born and bred here) who went and got a 'special' education abroad.

Japan seems to be one of the few 'Western' countries where the most tangible terrorist threat is completely home grown. Which leads me to a personal conclusion that it would be less damning for the government if Japan were to endure another terrorist attack by Japanese nationals (perhaps partly because Japan as a whole might feel obliged to shoulder a collective sense of responsibility) than to suffer at the hands of some dirty foreigners - when fingers would point solely at the government.

Point being that foreign terrorists are a greater threat to the government than Japanese terrorists are, even if the threat to Japanese citizens by either kind of criminal is the same. Fingerprints and photos, and the enormous costs involved of harvesting and filing them, are safeguarding the careers of some ministers, not the country.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:15 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by LapLap
Fingerprints and photos, and the enormous costs involved of harvesting and filing them, are safeguarding the careers of some ministers, not the country.
Ironic to think that my tax Yen will be helping to get me fingerprinted and photographed...
Old May 18, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Just curious - why is this a big deal? Is this an immigration-entry line congestion issue (perhaps all foreigners - permanent or not - will have to use the same line?). Or something else?

As noted, my country (USA) already does this. Is this a case of the when the shoe is on the other foot...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.