O7 to operate BNE/SYD-NLK (OBQF)

Old May 15, 2006, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Exclamation O7 to operate BNE/SYD-NLK

Norfolk Island Government

Effective WED 24 MAY, OzJet will operate Sydney and Brisbane to Norfolk Island services on behalf of QF. Qantas will continue to codeshare on the route and flights will continue to operate thrice weekly, on WED/SAT/SUN, however, there will be a change in flight numbers. 737-200s will operate the flights, however, seating has increased to 108 (up from 60). It hasn't been confirmed whether the leather seating remains or whether it has been replaced.

Either the ON/QQ wet-lease agreement went pear shaped or O7 were able to offer a ridiculously good contract. Air Nauru will take delivery of their 'new' 733 N323AW this week which was to feature on the NLK runs.

Personally, can't see this lasting. A 737-200 is a fuel-guzzler, carriers minimal freight and costs twice and much money to run as the F100. I can see this contract costing the NLK far too much in the long term. Apparently, also 07 haven't been quick to pay their maintenance bills and do not have the ETOPs ratings required for these flights. Interesting how they'll pull these new flights off. If I'm not mistaken, it's my understanding OzJet don't yet have an International AOC [although don't quote me on that].

Flights have been loaded into the QF system and the schedules have been updated accordingly.

Regards

Code:
Flight:QF331

Operator: 	Operated By OZJET O7331

Departure:	Brisbane
Date:		Wed 24 May, 2006
Time: 		07:30

Arrival:	Norfolk Island
Date:		Wed 24 May, 2006
Time: 		11:05

Flight time: 	2:05 hours
Aircraft type: 	Boeing 737-200

Last edited by QF NB; May 15, 2006 at 5:04 am
Old May 15, 2006, 5:24 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by QF NB
Apparently, also 07 haven't been quick to pay their maintenance bills and do not have the ETOPs ratings required for these flights. Interesting how they'll pull these new flights off....

Code:
Flight:QF331
Flight time: 	2:05 hours
Aircraft type: 	Boeing 737-200
With a shceduled flight time of 2:05, the route must be very marginal for requiring ETOPS certification. ETOPS is only required for operations where a suitable alternate airport cannot reached within 60 minutes operating on a single engine. Obviously when operating on one engine the aircraft is going to be altitude constrained and hence will fly with a slower ground speed. So if ETOPS is required, I expect it must be only just outside the 60 min window for a 732 on one engine.

I guess being a route with little competition, QF can charge a higher fare to cover the higher operating costs of the 732 aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.