Search

5 Day requirement for OLCI?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:46 pm
JRS
Original Poster

Location: Pittsburgh - SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, US Chairmans Pref
5 Day requirement for OLCI?

I rarely fly Delta so I need a confirmation from you regulars. I bought a ticket on Delta.com today for a flight tomorrow. I tried to check-in online tonight and while it shows my reservation, it then says it cannot find a valid reservation to check-in. I called the web support line and was told that it is not possible to use OLCI for a reservation that was booked within the past 5(!) days. He said it was not a Delta requirement but one of the credit card companies. I know that is bunk because I've often bought tickets on USAirways.com for next day flights and used their online checkin without issue. Is this true about OLCI on Delta.com?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Smile

When travel is 5 days or less...the credit card used to purchase the ticket must be presented at check-in at the airport. This is a security measure that has been in place for a while. This measure prevents fraud, since last minute tickets are more expensive than advanced purchase tickets. As well, as on advance tickets if there is fraud, there is a great opportunity to cancel the ticket out as opposed to 5 days or less before departure.

Jwhuffman
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Ssss.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jwhuffman
When travel is 5 days or less...the credit card used to purchase the ticket must be presented at check-in at the airport. This is a security measure that has been in place for a while. This measure prevents fraud, since last minute tickets are more expensive than advanced purchase tickets. As well, as on advance tickets if there is fraud, there is a great opportunity to cancel the ticket out as opposed to 5 days or less before departure.

Jwhuffman
I have bought several tickets within that time frame and I haven't ever shown the credit card.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by JRS
I rarely fly Delta so I need a confirmation from you regulars. I bought a ticket on Delta.com today for a flight tomorrow. I tried to check-in online tonight and while it shows my reservation, it then says it cannot find a valid reservation to check-in. I called the web support line and was told that it is not possible to use OLCI for a reservation that was booked within the past 5(!) days. He said it was not a Delta requirement but one of the credit card companies. I know that is bunk because I've often bought tickets on USAirways.com for next day flights and used their online checkin without issue. Is this true about OLCI on Delta.com?
Was this the first time you've bought a ticket with Delta with that particular card? If you have a transaction history with Delta they shouldn't have blocked your OLCI, 5 days or not, as others have noted.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:27 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
It could be the Super Selectee Security Show - or the 4 S's.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:07 am

Programs: DL GM/CRC, AA Gold, UA Premier
I have several times bought a ticket online less than 5 HOURS prior to a flight, printed out the boarding pass, got on the plane, without showing anyone my credit card ...
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by mirage1228
I have several times bought a ticket online less than 5 HOURS prior to a flight, printed out the boarding pass, got on the plane, without showing anyone my credit card ...
I, too, have purchased tickets roughly 12 hours before a flight and checked in as usual at the kiosk with my Skymiles#/PIN and was never asked to show the credit card used to book the ticket. Never tried OLCI because I don't like it.

Note to OP your ticket should say: Note: If ticket purchase was by credit card and within 5 days of travel, you must present this card at time of travel. Allowing you to OLCI would defeat this purpose.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Angry

I buy almost ALL of my Delta tickets less than 5 days out. Sometimes I buy them over the phone while on the way to the airport. I have been a medallion for 7 years. In February I lost my medallion status due to fact that I fly mostly short haul flights and its tough to get the MQMs now. Purchased my first ticket as a non-medallion last week - no online check-in allowed. Inquired of the ticket counter agent and was told its because I am an occassional flyer [that's bunk!]. Then told that because I lost my medallion status I can expect this. Its not true that this happens in all airlines. I regularly buy tix on Southwest at last minute and never had to show my credit card. I bought a ticket with NW a few months ago at the last minute - checked in online with no problem. When I fly for business on Delta, most of the time I am on commuter jets where, if I have luggage, I drop bags at plane door, and the shortest route to the gate and the best parking is on the opposite side of the airport in Orlando from the Delta ticket counter - but thanks to Delta, I had to waste time going over to the ticket counter to show my credit card. Its also nice to know that after all my years of loyalty and flying with Delta, that I am now tagged as a potential credit card fraud - also in spite of the fact that I have been charging my tix to the same card for years.

I inquired again in the Crown room and was told that it was something new at Delta and that once I checked in for the flight, some code was removed. However, I was also not allowed to use online checkin for my return flight. I think Delta is TRYING to drive business travelers away.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
I have bought several tickets within that time frame and I haven't ever shown the credit card.
Originally Posted by mirage1228
The policy has been in place for a very long time but does not apply to Medallions.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:06 am

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Before you purchase a fare less than 5 days out, you physically have to agree to a seperate page disclaimer knowing about the credit card rule. A kiosk WILL ask you to swipe the card before it allows you to check in...
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I was never aware of this rule. Guess being a Medallion help. But what's the reason behind this DL policy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.