Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia 343 to Johannesburg - new J seat chances?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:09 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP

Trying to snag J award tickets to JNB for this Aug-Sept. and it looks like only IB is available (not BA or LX). The timetable shows this route being served by a 343. I understand not all the 343s have been (or will be?) fitted with IB's new J seats, but is there a rollout schedule posted anywhere? Thanx.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Was on IB6050 and IB6051 end of last year and both flights had the new bed seat in business
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Trying to snag J award tickets to JNB for this Aug-Sept. and it looks like only IB is available (not BA or LX). The timetable shows this route being served by a 343. I understand not all the 343s have been (or will be?) fitted with IB's new J seats, but is there a rollout schedule posted anywhere? Thanx.
From what I've seen:

343: A340-300 with new seats
340: A340-300 with old seats
346: A340-600 (all have new seats)

There was a post somewhere with more details on this, I'll see if I can find it. On some routes you will see that the equipment alternates on different days, and I am not sure that if you see 343 now that you will be guaranteed new seats. In general though, you can verify the new/old seats by looking at row 1 in business, if it only has five seats, it's the old config.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:37 pm

This is the post I was referring to:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315764
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:26 am

Programs: Iberia Platinum
lately every 340-300 or 340-600 where I have been has the new configuration, I wonder if there still any with the old one
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by flyerLPA
lately every 340-300 or 340-600 where I have been has the new configuration, I wonder if there still any with the old one
I didn't check every route, but for example on 3/30, MAD-BOG, MAD-JNB, MAD-SJU (and returns of course) get the old config. On 3/31 MAD-BOG, MAD-SJU.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:25 am

One problem in trying to figure this out is that the MAD-JNB route gets flown by a different a/c type (340, 343, and 346) each day. So even if the schedule now shows one type for a specific date, there's good likelihood of a/c change (with the likelihood increasing in proportion to the distance between today and the date chosen).

And, yeah, I'm also in IB business MAD-JNB in August, hoping for the best and figuring I probably won't know for sure until I step on the plane.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, OW Emerald
Iberia Business Class Seat Assignments

I posted this in another forum, but thought I would try here.
I'm flying on American Airline miles from LHR-JNB in August 2006. I'm having difficulty getting Iberia to give me seat assignments on the Madrid-Joburg legs. I called them and they said it won't save in their system, and that I need to get my seats when I get into Madrid (which makes me a little nervous). I'm a Oneworld Emerald (AA ExecPlat), does anyone know who to call to 1) get these seat assignments; 2) get a copy of my itinerary from Iberia with those assignments. I even have called AA Exec Plat desk and they have sent a message to Iberia re: seats. Is it too far out right now for them to give assignments? They did give our seat assignments for the Madrid Miami leg though. Thanks!

3/31/06: Looks like I have the seat assignments now. I had to have the AA EXP desk call Iberia and request the seats.

Last edited by jenappling; Mar 31, 2006 at 12:53 pm Reason: *UPDATE*
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by jenappling
I posted this in another forum, but thought I would try here.
I'm flying on American Airline miles from LHR-JNB in August 2006. I'm having difficulty getting Iberia to give me seat assignments on the Madrid-Joburg legs. I called them and they said it won't save in their system, and that I need to get my seats when I get into Madrid (which makes me a little nervous). I'm a Oneworld Emerald (AA ExecPlat), does anyone know who to call to 1) get these seat assignments; 2) get a copy of my itinerary from Iberia with those assignments. I even have called AA Exec Plat desk and they have sent a message to Iberia re: seats. Is it too far out right now for them to give assignments? They did give our seat assignments for the Madrid Miami leg though. Thanks!
My response to your question here, would be the same as the one I gave you in the oneworld forum here. To me, it looks like you can't get seat J assignments in advance on the routes where the equipment varies by day (such as MAD-JNB, MAD-LIM) when booking as an AA award, but that is just my guess.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, OW Emerald
I understand what you are saying, but I have never heard that before on international routes. I have taken other OW airlines (Qantas/Cathay), and had no issues with seat assignments. Plus, equipment can change with other carriers as well. They should be able to give you an assignment on the anticipated equipment and then change your seats if the equipment changes.
Has anyone else had a similiar problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.