Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Hotel Eden - Rome, Italy [Master Thread] (Left Starwood Sep. 18, 2013)

GONE : Hotel Eden - Rome, Italy [Master Thread] (Left Starwood Sep. 18, 2013)

Old Oct 29, 2003, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, DL 1MM, Marriott PLAT, AVIS CHRMn Club, NATIONAL Exec Elite
Arrow GONE : Hotel Eden - Rome, Italy [Master Thread] (Left Starwood Sep. 18, 2013)

Anyone has the scoop? Thinking of staying there for new years

Old Oct 29, 2003, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Eden Rocks! Its a great hotel, service is excellent and the dining room on the top has the best view of Roma I have ever seen. If you want a view of your own be ready to pay big bucks. Its my favorite place in Roma! If you are AMex Platinum or Leaders Club you may get an upgrade I did but still no view. My room was small but cozy and charming. Heated towel bars and a very nice bathroom. The hotel is very old but has great character and wood burning fire places in the lobby. You can walk to the Spanish Steps and enjoy the view and the crowd. Have a great time!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d191331-Reviews-Hotel_Eden-Rome_Lazi o.html

http://www.holidaycityeurope.com/eden-rome/

[This message has been edited by coplatua1k (edited 10-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by coplatua1k (edited 10-29-2003).]
Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:22 am

I also thought the Eden was a very nice hotel. I had a inside room because I'd rather not be on the street. It was small and cozy. The only problem I had was that it was quite warm for April, but the AC wouldn't be turned on yet. It's that Itlian thing that no matter how hot it is, they won't turn on the AC until May 1 or June 1 or whatever. I therefore asked housekeeping to keep the windows open so that a breeze could come in at night. Well every night I got home (after the turn down service)the windows were shut and it was HOT. I called and read them the riot act. Unfortunate. Nevertheless, I would stay there again.

[This message has been edited by elsie (edited 10-30-2003).]
Old Oct 30, 2003, 8:30 pm
MGR

Programs: CO Gold, AA PLT, HYATT PLT
I also hear it is wonderful though I have not stayed there yet. I booked a Junior Suite for the end of November. Is this also "small and cozy" or can I expect a larger than typical-European-size room?
Old Nov 2, 2003, 9:41 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
Nice hotel and I would happily stay there again. The restaurant and view are great.

Lately, I've come to prefer the Hassler, just a few blocks away.

The location is better, the concierges seem better as does the service. The rooms vary a lot, however.

I just had what must be the best room in the Hassler short of a suite. It's room 403 (how do I remember - I took a digital photo of the door so I would remember - that's how good this room is).

Ask for it - but try to avoid those times when I'll be there!
It's in the corner closest to the Spanish Steps so you actually have a view of them and Via Condotti.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We stayed there about 5 years ago for one night. I would stay there again in a minute. Their bathroom amenities are Etro, very nice. The rooftop bar does have a great view.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Hotel Eden is wonderful. The rooms are rather small but nicely done. Baths are recently updated, on the larger side and nicely appointed. Service is stellar, the best part of Eden is the view from the roof top restaurant. D'ont miss it even if you stay elesewhere! You have a commanding view of Roma. Its location is also excellent. Its an oasis; descrete, luxurious, and situated in the heart of it all.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:54 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Arrow Hotel Eden - Rome [Master Thread]

I've been looking at the Westin Excelisor and just recently found the Hotel Eden on SPG.com.

I've did a search on flyertalk and didn't find a thing.

Has anyone stayed here recently? Any successes with Plat upgrades, is the condition of the hotel worth 20k a night?

flyfarfar
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

A quick search on the Luxury Hotels Forum produced some good results.
Here is one which you may find of interest.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=eden
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The Eden is a spectacular hotel.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:47 am

Programs: AC*Elite, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Eden is right around the corner of Westin Excelisor. I am not sure it is worth almost double the points of Excelsior.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:17 pm
JBD

I'm very interested in this hotel as well - I was just checking out the Free Nights promos:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...egory=GENDRE_H

and was very happy to see the Hotel Eden available for several of the dates I put in - and for all the different promo variations...

I've seen the St.Regis Rome too (available for these promos) but never the Westin Excelsior. I wonder if these promos work like airline fares and that when the "fare bucket" is sold out the rates are gone - or - maybe the Excelsior has never "signed up" for these?

Anyway, if you're considering the Hotel Eden check your dates for the free night promos -

if you happen to be going now you could get awesome 6 nights for the price of 4 rates. specifically, i looked at the 6 nts for the price of 4 at the default date setting, April 8 to April 14 and saw a rate of 290 or 1160 total for all 6 nts, VAT not incl. That was for a single. For a queen there was a rate of 310 or 1240 total. amazing rates.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:54 am

Another good promo for Hotel Eden (includes breakfast buffet and 3 pm checkout):

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...HP_TL_LM_BREAK

It's good for "weekends" but different properties have different definitions of "weekend." Apparently Hotel Eden counts Thursday through MONDAY nights as "weekends."

I used this one for our upcoming trip and got the best rate I've found anywhere. The included breakfast will be nice since I have read it's currently priced at EUR38 per person if you have to buy it yourself!
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:11 am
JBD

Originally Posted by free101girl
Another good promo for Hotel Eden (includes breakfast buffet and 3 pm checkout):

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...HP_TL_LM_BREAK

It's good for "weekends" but different properties have different definitions of "weekend." Apparently Hotel Eden counts Thursday through MONDAY nights as "weekends."

I used this one for our upcoming trip and got the best rate I've found anywhere. The included breakfast will be nice since I have read it's currently priced at EUR38 per person if you have to buy it yourself!
Good for you

If you can, please post a trip report and let us know how your stay goes - and if you are SPG Gold or Platinum it would be very good to know if and how that is recognized.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old May 1, 2006, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by JBD
If you can, please post a trip report and let us know how your stay goes - and if you are SPG Gold or Platinum it would be very good to know if and how that is recognized.
Wish I had better things to say about the Eden. It's fine, but not a 5-star hotel in my opinion. More like a 4-star.

I am SPG Gold and ALSO have a "Preferred Business" account. At check-in they didn't have my SPG # on the reservation, which was odd since I booked through SPG.com. I told them I was Gold but didn't have the number with me. At that point I was told we were upgraded to a Deluxe Room from Superior.

However, there was a problem with the rate. Apparently the promo web page I used defaults to single occupancy and I hadn't noticed this. They said this happens all the time. I checked my confirmation and sure enough, I had booked a King room, but with single occupancy. I was informed that since there were two of us, I would be upcharged EUR80 per night plus tax. Ugh. This made my "deal" (see earlier post) not such a great deal. Net cost with tax and breakfast was EUR470 per night.

When I went by the front desk to check on something later, I was informed that they had looked me up in the system and I was NOT Gold, but "Corporate." The implication was that I got an upgrade I didn't deserve. Um, no. I am indeed Gold. Fortunately they let it drop. I really wasn't in the mood for a fight -- and they would have gotten one at that point!

Our Deluxe room was pleasant, nothing special. Nice linens. Small, as is typical in Europe. I would hate to see a Superior room -- they must be tiny. Nice big bathroom, Penhaligon toiletries.

The main thing you have to know about the Eden is that all of their dining is wildly overpriced. Continental breakfast is EUR30.80 per person. Buffet breakfast is EUR49.50 per person. It was included in our rate, thank goodness. The buffet is quite good but nothing worth that kind of money -- it's not like they're serving you crab claws or anything.

Since the restaurant (La Terrazza) is a Michelin 1-star, they have an inflated idea of what they should charge, IMO. We ate dinner there one night. We both ordered the tasting menu at EUR160 per person with the wine flights, and were sadly underwhelmed.

(I have to say, we ate SO much better at a little place in Florence -- Osteria Cinghiale Bianco, for those who are interested -- for a total of EUR116 with a fabulous bottle of wine. And I had an amazing dish of fresh pasta covered in shaved white truffles there! We also really enjoyed the Grand Hotel in Florence, another SPG property, where they upgraded us to a Junior Suite -- for EUR175 less per night.)

Needless to say, room service at the Eden is even more outrageously priced. In short, eat elsewhere.

The terrace bar charges EUR14 or so for most drinks. However, we soon discovered such pricing isn't THAT far out of whack in Italy, sadly. And the bar does have a stellar view of Rome. They also give you lovely complimentary snacks with your drinks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.