Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA sacks a large % of Australian workforce.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Just heard on the ABC TV news that UA has announced about 100 job cuts in SYD and MEL. I doubt there would be more than 200 staff nationally now, so that sounds pretty severe staff cutting, and I do wonder if it is a portent of worse news ahead?

Nothing showing on news links yet that I can see.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:41 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
I just heard this too. I'm flying in the morning, so we'll see what's happening! Doesn't sound like this was handled in the best way , so I hope that there isn't any disruption.
United Airlines has announced it is shedding about 100 jobs from its operations in Sydney and Melbourne as part of a streamlining of operations.

Ground handling and reservation functions in the two cities are being outsourced.

"Distress because their jobs are gone, anger because they were made to wait 10 hours because United Airlines did not have the courage to tell these workers what was happening to them until all its flights had left Sydney today,".

"An absolute disgrace, holding these workers and their future to ransom so that an American airline could leave Sydney on time."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitem...03/s1592702.htm

Last edited by wimpypipsqueak; Mar 15, 2006 at 5:04 am Reason: Make clear its a quote, and not me saying this.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:02 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
"An absolute disgrace, holding these workers and their future to ransom so that an American airline could leave Sydney on time."

This is one strange quote, from the union leader.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:11 am

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Moderator2

I have sympathy for the staff, but I dont think would have expected the company to announce this while they are turning round three 747s.

Who are defined as "Ground Handling"? I assume these are the checkin and gate agents?

Last edited by wimpypipsqueak; Mar 15, 2006 at 5:17 am Reason: Forgot that there were 3 747s here today.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Moderator2

Agreed. What does it mean "holding these workers...to ransom"? Entitlement-mentality doublespeak mixed in with some gratuitous America bashing.

If this is indicative of the worldview in this union, UAL is probably better off ending its relationship with the union.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This has been kept incredibly quiet if it indeed is occurring.

Not a word on either major newspaper sites, and both have gone to press now. Not a word on the UA press releases website.

Not a word on Google via web or news matches. Even the ABC news website data quoted above has been removed it seems.

Maybe it was wrong info? Altho ABC of all people would be unlikely to fall for a hoax.

Sorry, Page not Found

The page you are looking for, "http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitem...03/s1592702.htm" cannot be found. It might have been removed, had its name changed, or be temporarily unavailable.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:25 am

Programs: UA, IB, FB
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...3/s1592702.htm

Try this link.

I think this is really sad news but unfortunately not unexpected.

I feel sorry for them and wish them best of luck
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:37 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
oh fantastic. NOT.

First it was hell dealing with SYDRR once the CTO's closed, and now what... will we have to deal with Mexico or India???? This is sad... quite a number of UA staff, specially those at MEL I know in passing and folks I've spoeken to in SYD (along with the MP people) were usually good (except for one or two bad apples)...
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastflyer

Agreed. What does it mean "holding these workers...to ransom"? Entitlement-mentality doublespeak mixed in with some gratuitous America bashing.

Now we have a link that works, the entire comment makes sense:

Michael Flynn from the Australian Services Union says employees are distressed about the decision.

"Distress because their jobs are gone, anger because they were made to wait 10 hours because United Airlines did not have the courage to tell these workers what was happening to them until all its flights had left Sydney today," he said.

And yes it does certainly seem to be a real announcement.

Boy they have kept it secret tho.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Lifetime *G
Originally Posted by fastflyer

If this is indicative of the worldview in this union, UAL is probably better off ending its relationship with the union.
Sounds like some gratuitous Aussie bashing on your part, mate.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Well one can interpret the union leader's comments in one of two ways:
  1. That he is upset UA waited to tell them because UA believed that if they told them before departure, the staffers would have intentionally delayed the planes' departure as revenge and his staff was more professional then that;
  2. That he is upset that UA waited to tell them because if they had known, they would have intentionally delayed the planes' departure as revenge.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:13 am

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Why does it take a couple of hundred people to service a couple of flights a day?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Actually it does take a lot of people to service 3 747s a day. Reservations, check-in, other ground agents, mechanics, fuelers, baggage handling, catering, regional management, sales, gov liaisons etc. can add up. These functions can be outsourced (and that is probably what UA is now doing), but the raw number of people needed to make these flights happen does add up.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosesplus
Why does it take a couple of hundred people to service a couple of flights a day?
That was my question as well. I know nothing about airport ops, but it seems silly not to outsource in a place like MEL, with 1 flight a day.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: Lots
I'm not quite sure how broad "ground handling" is defined in this article, but I sure hope that the checkin/RCC/etc staff remain in both SYD and MEL. To me, they've been nothing but outstanding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.