Wiki Posts
Search

BOO DOO THREE: Beach Blanket Boo Doo! 29 September - 1 October 2006

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
BOO DOO THREE: Beach Blanket Boo Doo! 29 September - 1 October 2006

Hello from Barcelona and welcome to the official thread for the 2006 Barcelona Event, called Beach Blanket Boo Doo!

In 2004, we did a Gaudí tour and in 2005 a Gothic Quarter tour, both in the center of Barcelona. Ths year I decided we would try something a little bit different. We can’t have people getting bored, now, can we? This year, BOO DOO™ will be held in Sitges, a lovely historic beach town just outside of Barcelona. The dates are September 29 through October 1, 2006. I moved the dates up a bit to avoid a conflict with other events in the town and also to coincide with beach weather. Not coincidentally, this is also the weekend of Sitges’ Menjar de Tast, the annual gastronomy and wine festival held to celebrate the end of the grape harvest. There will be some good eatin’, oh yes there will!

Here's the schedule of events for the weekend. Sitges is small enough that everything is just a short walk away.
  • Friday night 29 September, we'll all meet up for cocktails at Mitja Lluna (C/Santa Tecia 8) for a little meet-and-greet.
  • Later Friday night, we'll head over to Bianco (Passeig de la Ribera, 34) for a fabulous dinner at 10PM. Bianco is the new home of the chef from Bestiari (yes, there will be foie!) and this will be a great way to kick off the weekend. Menu details TBA
  • Saturday at noon, we'll do a tour (led by yours truly) of the Ruta Romántica of Sitges to see architecture from the 1100s to the 1800s, including a house designed by Gaudí, one of Hemmingway's old haunts, and three stunning museums.
  • The big meal this year will be Saturday at lunch. We'll head up into the mountains above Sitges for a calçotada at La Vaquita starting at 3:00PM. They are providing a free shuttle bus that holds 24 people at a time. It's only a 5 minute drive, so we can take people in groups if need be. Full menu, including wine, coffee, and dessert, is 25€. A group of us tried this last year on Sunday and it got universal rave reviews.
  • Saturday afternoon is free time to enjoy the beach, do some shopping, or just lay around and digest.
  • Saturday evening is the main night of the Menjar de Tast festival and people are encouraged to walk around the village, stop into restaurants, and try any number of local specialties on offer. All the local restaurants participate and try to out-do one another. As if you'll have room after lunch.
  • Saturday late-night, we'll meet up for more cocktails at Mandela (C/Bonaire 24).
  • Those still around on Sunday can have brunch and relax on the beach. This time of year will still be warm and sunny but the tourists will have gone, so it will be almost all ours.

Hotel Details
We have a group rate at the beautiful, just-renovated, four-star Calipolis right on the beach in the center of Sitges. All our rooms are beachfront, have stunning views, and a big terrace. Singles are 120€, doubles 135€. This hotel is currently going for $225 on an Expedia prepaid rate, so this is really a great deal.

To reserve, just send an email to [email protected] with your name and dates and ask for the "FlyerTalk Rate". You can cancel anytime up to August 1 with no charge.

Getting There
BCN airport is actually halfway between Barcelona and Sitges, and you can take a train, bus, or taxi. Details will be mailed out to confirmed attendees.

Francisco and I are looking forward to another great time with friends from all over the world this year. So go ahead and sign up already!

Here's the list of attendees and wannabes. I know of several people who have yet to sign up. C'mon people! It's SPAIN. With a BEACH. And alanw FOOD. And Willy Pete in a Speedo.

izzik
robb +1
PHLbuddy
belle3388 +1
Willy Pete
flysurfer
Escocesa
berlinflyer
KLC +1
BOB W
couscous +1
SkiAdcock
monitor +1
puppysara
SeeYa
aviationkiwi
Kiwi Flyer
cawhite
techgirl
kudzu
tmartazu+1
nroscoe
mot29

Here's a webcam of the village from the mountain! Our hotel is just down the street from the church.

Useful Links

The Big Onion: Catalunya's Calçotada
Sitges Official Web
Hotel Calipolis ****
L’Atlantida Disco Beach

Last edited by alanw; Aug 22, 2006 at 5:33 am
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I'll be there, somehow, someway. Had too much fun last time and I must visit Bestiary again, though I hear we will eat even better in Sitges, though how that would be possible... ^

I've locked in my hotels for Sitges and Barcelona. Flights will be later (need to first earn the extra 40K I need to try and book my Star Alliance Award First World Tour), but if I have to slum it in 46E on LH469 PDX-FRA, I shall do so.

Last edited by SEA_Tigger; Mar 13, 2006 at 8:57 pm
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I will try to make this one ^
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
woohoo - I'm almost definitely in
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
That's the weekend of the Great American Beer Festival.

www.gabf.org
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Count me in

Put me on the Confirmed list. Gracias.

Last edited by aviationkiwi; May 2, 2006 at 8:33 pm
Old Mar 12, 2006, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
I'm in! :)

Alan,

Please put me on your confirmed list! There is no way I will miss this, although finding good fares is a challenge.
I am sooooo looking forward to this! In fact, just for you I might just check luggage
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
We missed the last two and really really want to be there. Missed Stiges on the last trip to BCN. Will do our best to book this.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:56 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Unfortunately it seems that I will not be able to come to BCN in 2006. Maybe my plans change, but I do not think so.

Alan, you are four weeks too early ....

Jan
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The Boo DO has been on our radar for the past two years, but we have never been able to clear the time. #3 is back on it again, and this time we are going to try to keep that weekend open.
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
...Alan, you are four weeks too early .... Jan
That sounds like you have the proper weekend available for Ljubljana. I guess that will be a topic of discussion this weekend in Berlin . Looking forward to meeting you there.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:28 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by monitor
The Boo DO has been on our radar for the past two years, but we have never been able to clear the time. #3 is back on it again, and this time we are going to try to keep that weekend open.That sounds like you have the proper weekend available for Ljubljana. I guess that will be a topic of discussion this weekend in Berlin . Looking forward to meeting you there.
Chris was really fast, I have posted it and got a PM just seconds later about Ljubljana - CU in Berlin next weeked .
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:03 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Did someone say foie? Will there be calcots and salxixa too?

I'm calling dibs on the couch.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Per the norm I'm a definite maybe. If clients (ie, $$) allow I'm in. Have heard so many good things re: this event I definitely want to be there. Note to self - buy lotto ticket. Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 6:28 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Couscous and Mrs Couscous are strong maybezzzz.. shopping for award tickets..
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:47 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I have already reserved a room so count me in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.