Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Bellevue Sheraton gave me a key to a taken room. Happen often?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold, starwood fanatic

Does this happen often? At one time the staff at the Bellevue WA Sheraton were the best, they seem to have really slipped and their prices jumped with less service.
Last year a room was $89.00 with breakfast, appetizers and amazing staff.
Now it is $109.00 with no free food and you practically have to beg to get the club floor upgrade.

When I check in last Saturday I asked for a room away from the freeway and top floor.
I received a room on the Top floor, freeway side and with people already checked into it. Talk about pissed and embarrassed when you insert a key and open a door that already has people in it. I went down stairs and told that staff what happened. They acted as if it was no big deal and gave us a different key.

Anyone else ever run into this? What did you do or and idea what I should do if anything.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:31 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Dirk1609
Does this happen often? At one time the staff at the Bellevue WA Sheraton were the best, they seem to have really slipped and their prices jumped with less service.
Last year a room was $89.00 with breakfast, appetizers and amazing staff.
Now it is $109.00 with no free food and you practically have to beg to get the club floor upgrade.

When I check in last Saturday I asked for a room away from the freeway and top floor.
I received a room on the Top floor, freeway side and with people already checked into it. Talk about pissed and embarrassed when you insert a key and open a door that already has people in it. I went down stairs and told that staff what happened. They acted as if it was no big deal and gave us a different key.

Anyone else ever run into this? What did you do or and idea what I should do if anything.
It happens from time to time. Sorry if this happened to you. If it were me, I would report it to Corporate Customer Service by calling them toll-free at 800-328-6242.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
I had this happen where I was the person already in the room, not at a Starwood property, but at the Hilton Santa Fe. I had just walked out of the shower when someone walked in. I was not happy. When I went to the front desk, they kind of acted the same way, as if it wasn't a big deal...but I made sure they knew I was *displeased*. They knocked off $30 or $40 (can't remember) off the rate....which was marginally acceptable.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
This has happened to me too, both as the guest already in the room and the guest going into the room. I can't remember at which hotels though. Fortunately in both cases there were no embarassing situations for both parties concerned, just some startled guests. I would think the system that encodes the keys would be smarter and have some built-in interlocks to prevent such things from occuring but I guess not.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
People....LOCK YOUR FREAKIN DOORS!!!!!

This has happened to me a few times both as being in the room and being the new guest. Kind of scary if you think about it. Make sure your lock your door, deadbolt and chain. Sucks to read about some hotel screw up like this but it would be much worse to read about at FT member getting mugged or injured because of this.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:57 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Not to blame the person already in the room, but there is an easy way to avoid somebody walking into the room when you are there: use the chain/sliding bolt and/or the deadbolt!

I acknowledge there is still a problem if you are out of the room and the front desk gives someone else a key to your room...
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Look at my post #41 in this thread.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:44 am
Original Poster

I have a email into starwood customer service, I guess it takes up to 5 days for a response.

Originally Posted by tmartazu
I had this happen where I was the person already in the room, not at a Starwood property, but at the Hilton Santa Fe. I had just walked out of the shower when someone walked in. I was not happy. When I went to the front desk, they kind of acted the same way, as if it wasn't a big deal...but I made sure they knew I was *displeased*. They knocked off $30 or $40 (can't remember) off the rate....which was marginally acceptable.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:45 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by DivMiler
Not to blame the person already in the room, but there is an easy way to avoid somebody walking into the room when you are there: use the chain/sliding bolt and/or the deadbolt!
This has been talked at length in another thread

Personally, I am appalled at the number of times people have reported this happening. Yes, you should deadbolt your door when you're in, but there is NO excuse for a hotel chain allowing this sort of mix-up. Forget the box of chocolates on my pillow, I want them to keep me SAFE. Remember, even if you are religious about deadbolting your door, this does nothing to prevent someone from entering the room when you are OUT.

If this continues, something horrible is bound to happen sooner or later. Why hotel chains don't fix this problem is beyond me. I can't imagine any jury would be sympathetic to the hotel chain that handed a customer's hotel room key over to a stranger.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Indeed, when I am in my room I always keep the door locked. I would figure then that anyone trying to enter the room would know its being used or something atleast - sure beats walking out of the shower and someone walking into the room .

-Vincent
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Just received this email. Funny no mention at all about the wrong room key. Any ideas on how to respond or what I should ask for in compensation??

Hello

I had received your comments from Starwood in relation to your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Bellevue Hotel. I would like to personally apologize for any frustrations you may have had. It is our goal to ensure a pleasant stay for each of our guests and it sounds like we did not meet that expectation with you during your visit.

While we do attempt to upgrade Gold Members, your comments in relation that some hotels state upgrades are for Platinum Members only, this is true in some aspects, but we do make an attempt to upgrade each of our loyal Starwood members when available.

I would also like to clarify the sign posted on the Front Desk in relation to the 42” Plasma Televisions, that sign states that the Club Lounge is equipped with that television, the guest rooms are not equipped with Plasma Televisions until the renovation of our property begins later this year. It is going to be a beautiful addition to our hotel and we currently have 1 room renovated with the new deign, which is used as a show room.

I show that you were offered compensation for your troubles, but I do not feel that we had satisfied you to your expectations and I am sorry that we fell short. I would like to offer further compensation to make up for the dissatisfaction and would like to know what you feel is necessary.

Please get back with me and I will see what I can do in meeting what you feel is necessary.

Thank you again for your comments and I will be looking into the issue you have described.

All my best,
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
SLC Sheraton

Last night (3/8) I checked into the SLC sheraton. First upon my arrival at 2:00 p.m. I went from SLC to the hotel to see if I could drop my bags and at check in they said, if you want a club room you'll have to wait 45 minutes to get a clean one. I said no problem, I'll just go to work. They were nice and said thank you and promised to hold it for me (club level room)

I got back to check in again at 9 p.m. and they gave me room which didn't sound like the club level but then again I didn't know for sure. So I took it went up to the club lounge for a soda first and the key didn't work. I figured they forgot to give me access which I'd fix later. Then I went to my room on a lower floor and the key doesn't work but I also hear a TV on. I assume that its the TV in the next room as the doors to the two rooms are real close

I try the key three times and get the yellowand red light. I schlep my butt back to the lobby and now am waiting behind and airline crew for the one front desk person. I finally after five minutes, walk to the bell hop and ask him if he can help. He gets another gal to come out and she just re-keys it. I go back up and try it again, hear the same tv and this time some lady starts yelling, Who are you? What do you want? I'm calling the police?? I say I was just put in this room, she says well I've been here all day. I say I'm not questioning you, just telling you why i'm putting my key in the door.. she yells well go back to the front desk.. so I get to the elevator, and I'm pissed now and dial zero and give an earful to whomever answered the phone. I tell them to come to me and bring me a key that works in a room thats empty.

An engineer shows up in about 2 minutes and he didn't have a clue to what I was talking about (he had come to do something else). right behind him was a manager who brought me to the front desk and said he had no idea why they put me in that room as it wasn't a club floor and that was in my notes.

He puts me on the club floor and goes up with me to make sure the key works

All was well
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:58 am

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
...what I should ask for in compensation??
Nothing. You are a Gold and did not get the top floor away from the FWY because they have only a hand full of rooms on that side. The lounge and two full suites are on that side, leaving maybe 5 or so rooms. Additionally, that property has a high occupancy rate and average 10+ Plats per night – you were lucky to be on the top floor. Besides your rate is very low and not what is typically charged these days – there’s your compensation.

Get some therapy and move on.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Originally Posted by MIKEM
Get some therapy and move on.
LOL! Therapy is only necessary if you're planning a lawsuit
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Received 7000 starpoints from the manager. Much better than doing nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.