Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger reclined the seat to my knees- so I grabbed and pulled the seat often

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Passenger reclined the seat to my knees- so I grabbed and pulled the seat often

I know there are many postings discussing the pros and cons of reclining your seat all the way back. How about my right to steady my self (by grabbing the seat in front of me) as I get up from my seat? Is this OK after the person in front of me decides they do not care about the comfort of the person behind them?

After the person in front of me ignored my appeal for a compromise on how far they should recline their seat-- I decided that I would get up from my seat on a very regular basis to walk around the plane. I did not want to fall when I got up, so I grabbed the seat in front of me and pulled on it very hard to steady my self. After the forth time, the passenger complained. I told them I needed support due to a bad knee. By the sixth time a Flight Attendant was called. I told her about my bad knee and doctors order that I get up and exercise on a regular basis. The passenger in front of me, moved his seat so it would not recline into my knees. I HAD WON THAT BATTLE!

I THINK I WILL DO THIS EVERYTIME THAT A SELFISH PASSENGER RECLINES HIS SEAT INTO MY KNEES.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Your behaviour is repugnant.
Makanmata and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:08 am

Programs: UA, NW
Everyone gets roughly the same seat in a given class of service with the same amount of leg room, width and recline. Everyone is entitled to use their seat as they see fit, pending a ruling from a FA if there's a dispute. How you use the space and options is up to you.

Forcing someone to not recline to their satisfaction means that they are less comfortable than they could be. That's a selfish imposition on them. Lying about a medical condition in order to convince a FA to allow harassment of someone who wants to recline is, IMHO, pretty low. This is from someone who is 6'5" and did a couple of trans-Atlantics shortly after knee surgery last year.

Until the airlines remove the ability to recline (or allow more leg room in cattle - fat chance), this will continue to be an issue. If someone is so irritated by other pax reclining that they must harass the other pax for doing so, that person really ought to either select seats a little more carefully, fly in a higher class of service or just give up flying as a bad deal.

Edit: this thread should probably be combined with the long one below, it doesn't really add anything but vitriol...mine included...

Last edited by wittingm; Mar 7, 2006 at 8:24 am Reason: dup thread
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by greenery
I THINK I WILL DO THIS EVERYTIME THAT A SELFISH PASSENGER RECLINES HIS SEAT INTO MY KNEES.
Dont forget to post here when one day the captain handcuffs you inorder to restrain you from causing further nuisance to fellow passengers.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
.......... I HAD WON THAT BATTLE!

It sounds like you are actually PROUD of your behavior!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:39 am

You are an amazing human being, and I'm sure the people in your life are proud to know you.

Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:39 am

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
get there early and get an exit row! problem solved.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
Your behaviour is repugnant.
I agree
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So you do not think that the seat in front of the passenger should be used to steady ones self as they get up?

By reclining the seat all the way back my moving knees will get in the way of the comfort of their back. I will move my knees as much as I want because I am in my personal space. The selfish passenger has moved their seat into my knees-- so any movement of their knees is going to affect their back. It is only fair.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First time in a plane, greenery?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: star alliance
So you do not think that the seat in front of the passenger should be used to steady ones self as they get up?

By reclining the seat all the way back my moving knees will get in the way of the comfort of their back. I will move my knees as much as I want because I am in my personal space. The selfish passenger has moved their seat into my knees-- so any movement of their knees is going to affect their back. It is only fair.
I assume that out of principal you do not recline your own seat??
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
So, how do you manage get up from normal chairs? If you don't have a seat in front of you, how do you get up from, say, a dining chair or an office chair? Are you simply stuck until someone can bring another chair for you to pull on?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:30 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Avianca Platinum Exec
No, I don't. I use the armrests to steady myself, never the chair in front of me.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:43 am
Suspended

I would like to know how the OP behaves when driving a car on public roads...
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
He probably taps bumpers every time there is someone in HIS lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.