Where can I buy a MetroCard for AirTrain in JFK?

Subscribe
I hope I can buy one in the airport, but can't find any information.

Thanks.
The airtrain is completely free if you're taking it around the airport (from terminal to terminal, or to the long-term parking). It only costs $5 if you take it to Jamaica Station or Howard Beach Station, and you can buy the metrocards when you get to those stations. It kinda weird how it's set up, because you have to pay to leave the airtrain at said stations, but it's well worth the slight confusion (aka ...?) for its immense convienence.
In the news stands at the airport.
Thanks. I am planning on going to Jamaica Station.
Quote: Thanks. I am planning on going to Jamaica Station.
If you have cash or credit card with you, I generally find it easier to buy the ticket at the Airtrain station itself. I just buy it later like dinosims mentioned.
I'd still get it at a news stand on the way out of the airport, if I had a dollar for every time I've gone to a metro card vending machine and it was out of service (I always carry two cards with me now, so I never get stuck having to find another one)
Quote: if I had a dollar for every time I've gone to a metro card vending machine and it was out of service

Really? At Jamaica they have like 20 of them, along with a teller (I'm pretty sure), so it's not that much of a risk.
Buy the Metrocard when you get to Jamaica Station
I would recommend buying the Metrocard when you get to Jamaica Station. There is a limited variety of Metrocard denominations available when you buy at the newstands at JFK. When you purchase a Metrocard from the vending machines at Jamaica Station, you can buy exactly the amount that you need, whether it's just $5.00 to pass through the AirTrain fare gate, or more, to use on NYC subways and busses. And remember: if you spend $10 or more on a single Metrocard (either at the JFK newstands or at a Metrocard vending machine) you will receive a 20% fare "bonus": so paying $10 will get you a $12 Metrocard; paying $12.50 will get you a $15 Metrocard, etc.

As previously noted, there are lots of Metrocard vending machines available at the Jamaica AirTrain terminal. It is inconceivable to me that they would all be out of service at the same time, and if they were, I expect that the attendants would have to open the fare gates to let arriving passengers through for free, rather than hold them hostage until the machines were fixed.
Quote: Thanks. I am planning on going to Jamaica Station.
Do you need any directions once you arrive at Jamaica? We're all pretty good at offering assistance if you need it.
bump this really old thread, is this stil lthe case? where can I buy the metro pass at JFK , since I am arriving from AA terminal? Thanks so much!
I would recommend instructions the below; it's still current and valid (except for the bonus rate as noted later in this thread).

Just catch the AirTrain to Jamaica (or Howard Beach, depending on your final destination) and there will be a bank of Metrocard machines within the gated area (you will need to swipe a valid card to exit the station and get to the subway).

Quote: I would recommend buying the Metrocard when you get to Jamaica Station. There is a limited variety of Metrocard denominations available when you buy at the newstands at JFK. When you purchase a Metrocard from the vending machines at Jamaica Station, you can buy exactly the amount that you need, whether it's just $5.00 to pass through the AirTrain fare gate, or more, to use on NYC subways and busses. And remember: if you spend $10 or more on a single Metrocard (either at the JFK newstands or at a Metrocard vending machine) you will receive a 20% fare "bonus": so paying $10 will get you a $12 Metrocard; paying $12.50 will get you a $15 Metrocard, etc.

As previously noted, there are lots of Metrocard vending machines available at the Jamaica AirTrain terminal. It is inconceivable to me that they would all be out of service at the same time, and if they were, I expect that the attendants would have to open the fare gates to let arriving passengers through for free, rather than hold them hostage until the machines were fixed.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Just want to note that the "bonus" on Metrocard purchases or refills of $10.00 or more is now down to a mere 7%. So a purchase of $10.00 yields a pay-per-ride card valued at $10.70; a purchase of $18.70 yields a pay-per-ride card valued at $20.01.

Depending on how long a visitor plans to spend in NYC, and how often (s)he plans to ride the busses and subways while here, it might make sense to use a pay-per-ride card just for the AirTrain, and an unlimited weekly Metrocard for the busses and subways. Both types of cards are sold at the Metrocard vending machines found at the AirTrain terminals, and at every subway station.
Quote: Really? At Jamaica they have like 20 of them, along with a teller (I'm pretty sure), so it's not that much of a risk.
+1, never had a problem with this.
I found a Metrocard that I bought while in NYC last year. Expiration date 9/30/12, so it should still be good. I've looked through the MTA website but I can't see a way to do the following--

* see if/how much is left on it
* add to the card

I'll be going to NYC in a few weeks, flying to JFK with my other half, taking the airtrain to subway, and taking that to our hotel in the financial district (the NYC Conrad). Ideally, it would be great to have the card all set for us both to get from JFK into the city...any way to do this online?
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Quote: I found a Metrocard that I bought while in NYC last year. Expiration date 9/30/12, so it should still be good. I've looked through the MTA website but I can't see a way to do the following--

* see if/how much is left on it
* add to the card

I'll be going to NYC in a few weeks, flying to JFK with my other half, taking the airtrain to subway, and taking that to our hotel in the financial district (the NYC Conrad). Ideally, it would be great to have the card all set for us both to get from JFK into the city...any way to do this online?
No, but this should not be a problem. When you get off the AirTrain at either the Jamaica or Howard Beach terminals, proceed to the Metrocard vending machines before passing through the fare gates. Select "Refill Metrocard" from the on-screen options. You will then be instructed to insert your Metrocard. When you do, the screen will display your current balance. If the balance is sufficient for your purposes, press "Cancel," and the card will be returned to you; otherwise, select an amount that you want to add, and pay with cash or debit/credit card.

The whole process should take about one minute.