Do we need transit visa in London for Indian citizens

Subscribe
My parents are flying from India to US on British Airways. They have US visiting visa stampted for 10 years. They have a stop over in London. Do you guys think they need UK Transit visa? They dont intend to come out of the airport.
Your parents as Indian citizens will require a Direct Airside Transit Visa to transit through a U.K. airport. This will allow them to either remain on a plane that is enroute to the U.S. or connect to another flight while remaining airside.
Quote: Your parents as Indian citizens will require a Direct Airside Transit Visa to transit through a U.K. airport. This will allow them to either remain on a plane that is enroute to the U.S. or connect to another flight while remaining airside.
Sorry, but that is 100% incorrect for the scenario posted by the OP!

See:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/UK...location=India

Quote:
You asked if a national of India needs a visa to pass through the UK in transit.

Yes, you need a Direct Airside Transit (DAT) visa, unless you qualify for exemption because you hold one of the following:

- a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from another country or territory to the country in respect of which the visa is held;
- a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from the country in respect of which the visa is held to another country or territory;
Quote: Sorry, but that is 100% incorrect for the scenario posted by the OP!

See:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/UK...location=India
Apologies for the incorrect answer, But I checked into this for a colleague a month ago and at that time it appeared the only exception was when traveling FROM the U.S. and holding a valid visa. Therefore, at that time it would have been necessary to obtain a DAT visa for travel TO the U.S.
Quote: Apologies for the incorrect answer, But I checked into this for a colleague a month ago and at that time it appeared the only exception was when traveling FROM the U.S. and holding a valid visa. Therefore, at that time it would have been necessary to obtain a DAT visa for travel TO the U.S.
I personally know individuals who have been using this visa exemption for travel FROM India TO Canada/U.S. from much longer than a month ago.
Quote: I personally know individuals who have been using this visa exemption for travel FROM India TO Canada/U.S. from much longer than a month ago.
Whoppee for you mate!
This is what I use for a first-run to figure out what is needed.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp
An Indian national flying from India to the US via the UK does not need any UK visa if doing an airside transit at UK AND if having a valid US visa or permanent resident card. The same applies for Indian nationals flying from the US to India via the UK.
From the timatic link I supplied earlier

Quote:
/ 11FEB06 / 0945 UTC
National INDIA (IN)
Transit UNITED KINGDOM (GREAT BRITAIN) (GB)
Destination U.S.A. (US)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

UNITED KINGDOM (GREAT BRITAIN) (GB

Visa required, even when in direct airside transit.
Exemptions apply when holding specific resident permits or
visas for Australia, Canada, New Zealand, U.S.A. and E.E.A.
countries (TIRGL/EEA )and TWOV is then permitted.
For information & conditions on:
- exemptions, see: For details, click here ; and
- TWOV facility, see: For details, click here .

Type of transit visa required depends on type of journey:
- if passenger is in transit with same-day, same-airport
transfer, "A-Direct Airside Transit" visa (DATV) is required.
This visa must be obtained prior to arrival in the UK and
will allow the passenger to transit between terminals at the
same UK airport as the passenger remains airside;
- if passenger is in transit and must change airport in the
U.K., or has an overnight stop in U.K., a valid U.K. visa
with any endorsement other than "Direct Airside Transit
Visa" is required;
- if passenger is in transit to the Channel Isl., Isle of
Man, or Ireland (Rep. of), a valid U.K. visa with any
endorsement other than "Direct Airside Transit Visa" or
"Visitor in Transit Visa" is required.

Minors:
if children are registered in parent's or guardian's passport:
- they may not travel without holder of passport; and
- visa in passport (if required) must indicate it is also valid
for the child(ren).

Non-compliance with transit requirements (incl. forged
documents) results in fines for carrier of GBP 2,000.- per
passenger and either deportation or indefinite delay for
passenger at point of transit (detention costs at carrier's
expense).

Flights from/to United Kingdom to/from Channel Islands, Ireland
(Rep. of) and the Isle of Man are domestic flights therefore
there is no immigration control.
This is truly a useful link for most cases:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp
This really is a very useful link.
http://www.delta.com/planning_reser...ation/index.jsp

Thanks GUWonder ^
Quote: This really is a very useful link.
http://www.delta.com/planning_reser...ation/index.jsp

Thanks GUWonder ^
Nothing of it. This is one of the few things I actually thank Delta for.

There is a sticky that is a collection of bookmarked websites that may be useful for a whole variety of things. Check it out in the Travelbuzz forum here on FT.
Quote: But I checked into this for a colleague a month ago and at that time it appeared the only exception was when traveling FROM the U.S. and holding a valid visa. Therefore, at that time it would have been necessary to obtain a DAT visa for travel TO the U.S.
Not only is this story wrong (the current rules have been in place much longer than that), but it makes no sense. Why would an US visa be acceptable only when leaving the US?
Quote: Whoppee for you mate!
WHy not just admit you were WRONG PhlyingRPh?