Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How Many SE, E & P? Here's the facts from AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A Few

I know I've seen this discussed here before, but I don't think anyone knew for sure. This is from todays Daily:

ACE facts - Did you know? Aeroplan is Canada’s premier loyalty marketing company with approximately five million active members. Aeroplan members can accumulate Aeroplan Miles through a network of more than 60 commercial partners, representing more than 100 brands, in the financial, retail and travel sectors and redeem those miles for rewards, including airline seats to more than 700 destinations worldwide. Other travel rewards include hotel rooms and car rentals, selected electronics merchandise and a diversified selection of experiential and specialty rewards. Depending on the number of Aeroplan Status Miles collected over the year, a member can reach Air Canada Prestige, Elite or Super Elite status. To make Super Elite status a customer has to fly 100,000 miles a year. There are 9,000 Super Elite 68,000 Elite and 57,000 Prestige customers.

Last edited by yycworldtraveler; Jan 19, 2006 at 1:28 pm
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:33 pm

Programs: QR P; TK E; FB S; BA S; UA S; MB LTT; HH D; IHG DAmb
Nice find, yycworldtraveler! There are slightly more SEs and rather fewer Ps than I would have guessed from earlier discussions.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:39 pm

Keep in mind that there's only 10K miles difference between P and E.

I'm guessing that

a) many people who fly 25K might not be as avid when it comes to FF programs, and
b) people who are avid find the minimal requirement for an additional 10K miles easily worth the big jump in benefits to go from P to E.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks for the revelation. It has been a matter of speculation over the past several years as there have been no official numbers since 2001 (pre-9.11 and the .com collapse, etc.). Back then there were: 10K SEs, 83K Es and 210K Ps. My speculation as posted many times on such threads was that post-9.11 and through last year there were: 8.8K SEs, 65K Es and 150K Ps.

These new numbers reveal the impact of upping PRESTIGE to 25K from 18K, going from around 210K in 2001 to just 57K in 2006. This certain does save AC/AE a big chunk of money supporting with kits and other services. But it also shows a big drop in ELITEs from 83K down to 68K as well.

As to KH's observations, it actually shows a decline in both Es and Ps, the latter for the reasons I've already mentioned. However, why the drop in Es? If they moved the requirement to 50K, I suspect this would drop to about half the current level, and of course pump up the number of Ps. SEs seem to have returned to a steady level, though how much of this is attibutable to fast-track promos versus a steady upper end base is anyone's guess.

Last edited by Shareholder; Jan 19, 2006 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 19, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: Sans souci
We have sometimes discussed whether the AC FT community is representative of AC's upper tier members. Well, there might be a couple of hundred of us who post here, so that's only a tiny fraction of the 134,000 SEs, Es, and Ps.

That's probably good news for AC. Just imagine if the other 133,000+ upper tier members were like us ... scheming opportunists looking for every Q mile and staying up half the night to call in upgrades. What a nightmare.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 6:08 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne

That's probably good news for AC. Just imagine if the other 133,000+ upper tier members were like us ... scheming opportunists looking for every Q mile and staying up half the night to call in upgrades. What a nightmare.
Hmmm, I guess this why I felt I belonged and better get out of the shadows.

Old Jan 19, 2006, 6:42 pm

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by anti_ice

You are obviously one of us. ^

Welcome aboard.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by anti_ice

Welcome... aboard!
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC E, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Keep in mind that there's only 10K miles difference between P and E.

I'm guessing that

a) many people who fly 25K might not be as avid when it comes to FF programs, and
b) people who are avid find the minimal requirement for an additional 10K miles easily worth the big jump in benefits to go from P to E.
I would say that the jump in benefits is not that significant between P and E. With a few hundred dollars you can buy lounge access and priortiy check-in.

PJB
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:47 pm

But you can't buy the upgrade options or time thresholds.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
But you can't buy the upgrade options ...
Buddy of mine got E status by mid-november and got the E package in time for a vacation in FLA (MCO). I don't know what the hype is about the upgrade coupons - he couldn't use them for the fare he had (I guess he tried at check-in). As it turned out, they were oversold in coach and he and his wife and kid were UG'd anyways (and at the gate the bone-heads didn't ask for the coupons he tried to use at check-in).

For those of us who NEVER fly on full-fare economy tix, the UG coupons are worthless, as they have been for all the years I've ever gotten them.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Shareholder
My speculation as posted many times on such threads was
A serial speculator?
Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Joe Airman
For those of us who NEVER fly on full-fare economy tix, the UG coupons are worthless, as they have been for all the years I've ever gotten them.
I used to think the same, but SSWUs are actually very useful for international travel. I used 6 of them last year - ALL on deep discount fares from LHR. This year I'll only get 2, but I have no doubt that I'll be able to use them. I may even get a chance to use SWUs, but only if I can get a good deal.

Thanks,

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:19 am

I think that the drop in P's is almost surely due to people who used to do one big trip per year (India? Australia?) and just get over the 18k. The drop in E's probably comes from it being much more difficult to get miles on domestic trips. Lots of people who used to just buy the lowest fare might well get Elite if they had 100% miles. With 50% miles on some fares they just don't have enough. I assume that when I move back to Canada I'll have to give up the joys of Elite status pretty quickly.

Thanks,

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:22 am

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Originally Posted by Joe Airman
As it turned out, they were oversold in coach and he and his wife and kid were UG'd anyways (and at the gate the bone-heads didn't ask for the coupons he tried to use at check-in).
They’re not bone-heads; you don’t need a cert when on an operational UG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.