Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA starts code-shares with South African on Jan. 14; still no elite miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:44 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

***Despite confirming with three agents before I posted this, it turns out you CANNOT EARN ELITE MILES with South African yet. They just released a press release about this and the latest news is they're now offering codeshares. Elite miles and awards are still a few months away - April, it says. ****

Here's the press release:
http://www.united.com/press/detail/0,6862,53577,00.html

I'm very sorry for the confusion. I deliberately didn't post until I had three different agents reading that to me off their screens - and I even got the name of one. Obviously, that still wasn't enough.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 18, 2006 at 4:53 pm
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:57 am

Sweet! I didn't think this would happen so soon. Will all SAA economy fare codes earn 100% EQM on United? SAA's Voyager program only gives 50% of mileage on T,V,L and X fares. That's one of the reasons I stopped flying them, thats a lot of miles to give up on a US -> South Africa long haul. Well, that reason and that little strike they had back in July.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:00 pm

I have been waiting for this for the past 3 yrs!!! FINALLY!!!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:11 pm

That's great... I hope there's no long delay for redemption to take effect. Would be nice, too, if they could make the IAD service truly non-stop to JNB/CPT, like SQ does from EWR to SIN, but hey, it's a lot to ask. Anything's better than IAD-FRA (wait 10 hrs) then FRA-JNB on LH.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
From united.com:

Discounted Economy 50% (T,V,L,X)
Paid Economy 100%(Y,B.M,H,Q,S,E,U)
Discounted Business 100% (Z)
Business Class 125% (C,D,J)
First Class 150% (F, A)

http://united.com/page/article/0,6722,51396,00.html
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by edizzle
From united.com:

First Class 150% (F, A)

Those numbers appear to be the RDMs and not the EQMs earned for those fares. Has anyone been able to find information on the EQMs earned on the various fares?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Well on their way to joining the *A mid-2006.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOChump
Those numbers appear to be the RDMs and not the EQMs earned for those fares. Has anyone been able to find information on the EQMs earned on the various fares?
I just called back to check. It seems like only the Hawaii MP reps have been well briefed on this as three of them confirmed it for me - one on Monday and two today who said they just had their briefing - but none of the other reps seem to be able to find the info.

Originally Posted by CaPreppie
Well on their way to joining the *A mid-2006.
Let's hope it's still spring, as all reps and info so far agree on that.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; National Emerald Exec Elite
I agree that EQM's is great (I'll fly them a number of times this year within Africa), but I wonder what the chances are of getting elite bonus when they are in *A? Just as 50% credit stinks on a flight that long, so does not getting 100% bonus. That would cost me about 23,000 miles to JNB. I'll take the 10 hour layover.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:19 pm

Yeah, I used to be really opposed to the Europe layover, but now I kind of like it. Its nice to get off of the plane for a while and grab a hotel room for a few hours of sleep. That 16-17 hr direct flight from New York/Atlanta/DC is brutal. I feel like I'm ready to jump out of my skin towards the end of it. Add to it a 5-6 hour trip to and from the West Coast and the stopover in Europe, with elite bonuses and more BIS miles, looks even more attractive. Besides, there is a far smaller that United/Lufthansa will stop flying for a week over a 3% difference in pay increase between management and FAs on a one year contract.

I wonder when we'll be able to search/book South African flights on united.com? I don't think I'll hold my breath for that improvement.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: United, KLM
Booking a flight with SA

I need to book LHR to Cape Town and would like to use SA. Can anyone give any confirmation about ability to earn EQM miles on this route. The India call centre we have in the UK is next to useless...

Thanks

UK Flyer
Old Jan 14, 2006, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FarAway
I wonder what the chances are of getting elite bonus when they are in *A?
My guess is three chances - slim, fat, and none. Only US and trans-atlantic LH flights give that bonus, and I doubt that will change any time soon.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by letiole
I just called back to check. It seems like only the Hawaii MP reps have been well briefed on this as three of them confirmed it for me - one on Monday and two today who said they just had their briefing - but none of the other reps seem to be able to find the info.
So that I don't let anybody down on this, do be sure and confirm this when you call. I confirmed with three MP international agents before I posted this, but, as I wrote above, other reps knew nothing about it when I reached a different call center later in the week.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, Starwood / Marriott Gold
Upgrading w/ MP Miles

When miles can be redeemed on SAA for tickets (sometime in April), will buying upgrades w/ miles (like on LH) be available at the same time?
Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by edizzle
From united.com:

First Class 150% (F, A)

Thank you for that infromation.. I am so use to getting 100% eqm in economy. I will be carefull when booking SSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.