Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-DEL confirmed as Trans Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Cent
ORD-DEL confirmed as Trans Atlantic

Just got off the phone with RTW desk. ORD-DEL is confirmed as transatlantic route.
I bought RTW ticket in Oct and was able to to designate ORD-DEL as transpacific.
AA is not willing to make any changes to my itinerary at this point due to this change.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:51 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Well then let the rule rewriting begin. ORD-DEL-HKG-SYD-LAX-ORD = xONE3?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:25 pm
ak

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Well then let the rule rewriting begin. ORD-DEL-HKG-SYD-LAX-ORD = xONE3?
What rule needs to be rewritten to allow this interpretation (assuming ORD-DEL is considered transatlantic)?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

Normally it would be xONE4 as you'd have to transit Europe to get to Delhi. Now, you can get there with no European transit. Thus, it should be xONE3 - hopefully.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:34 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

And this one...

90N . 2. TRAVEL MUST BE IN A CONTINUOUS FORWARD
91N . DIRECTION BETWEEN AREA 1-AREA-2-AREA 3.

ORD-DEL-HKG-LAX-ORD (which would be a xONE2 BTW) or ORD-DEL-HKG-SYD-SFO-ORD (xONE3) would bypass Area 2 (Europe/Africa) altogether. They would be 1-3-1s.

Would SCL-xLAX-HKG-DEL-ORD-LAX-SCL be allowed as an xONE3?

Curiouser and curiouser.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:18 pm
ak

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Normally it would be xONE4 as you'd have to transit Europe to get to Delhi. Now, you can get there with no European transit. Thus, it should be xONE3 - hopefully.
True, however, that was due to non-availability of flights and not due to the rules.

I didn't see any changes to the rules that would be required in order for it to be a xONE3.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:24 pm
ak

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
And this one...

90N . 2. TRAVEL MUST BE IN A CONTINUOUS FORWARD
91N . DIRECTION BETWEEN AREA 1-AREA-2-AREA 3.
I thought about this rule, however, it doesn't say that each "area" needs to be visited. This rule only seems to prevent backtracking between "areas".
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:52 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Resurrecting this old thread... I have colleagues who just did a DONE3 that was ORD-LHR-BCN-LHR-BOM/DEL-ORD. Wouldn't that make DEL-ORD trans-pacific?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
Resurrecting this old thread... I have colleagues who just did a DONE3 that was ORD-LHR-BCN-LHR-BOM/DEL-ORD. Wouldn't that make DEL-ORD trans-pacific?
Yes, but when was this routing ticketed? (as opposed to flown)
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:35 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Boy this is going to get confusing. AC's YYZ-DEL is transpacific.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO

AA changed their mind on this.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:57 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by millionmiler
AA changed their mind on this.
Now I'm thoroughly confused, as it sounds as if AA is, too.

My colleagues were ticketed and flew ORD-DEL as a trans-Pacific in their RTW.

Then, yesterday, I received an e-mail from AA announcing "American Airlines - India Fare Sale".

Deep in the small print (scroll down for bolding):
This spring, travel to the land of India. Celebrate the rich culture, luxurious textiles and distinct cuisine. Visit the city of Agra and stop by the glorious beach resort of Konark. Do it all for less than you think.

Fares are valid for outbound travel April 1, 2006 through May 15, 2006. Return travel must be complete by May 31, 2006, so plan your trip today. If you've got the time, we've got the deals. Tickets must be purchased by February 11, 2006.

Be sure to book your flight on AA.com where you'll always find our lowest fare guaranteed.

Visit our India Fare Sale page on www.aa.com to find out more details, see more great savings or to make your reservation today.

Here are just a few sample round-trip fares now available on AA.com

Boston, MA (BOS) Delhi, India (DEL) $769
Chicago O'Hare, IL (ORD) Delhi, India (DEL) $902
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) Delhi, India (DEL) $869
Denver, CO (DEN) Delhi, India (DEL) $864
Los Angeles, CA (LAX) Delhi, India (DEL) $959
Miami, FL (MIA) Delhi, India (DEL) $864
New York LaGuardia, NY (LGA) Delhi, India (DEL) $769
Phoenix, AZ (PHX) Delhi, India (DEL) $959
San Francisco, CA (SFO) Delhi, India (DEL) $959
Seattle, WA (SEA) Delhi, India (DEL) $959

For complete details and to make your reservations, visit www.aa.com.

When you visit AA.com this sale page can be viewed when you log in and click on Net SAAver And Special Offers.

Earn up to 1,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles and pay no online fees when you purchase your next flight on AA.com. For updates on recent changes to the AA.com bonus mile offer, visit www.aa.com/bonus.

*Terms & Conditions
Fares shown are for round-trip Economy Class travel purchased on AA.com, and are in U.S. dollars. Fares shown are valid daily. Fares are subject to change without notice. International fares are subject to government approval.

Fares do not include (a) a federal excise tax of $3.30 per U.S. domestic flight segment, defined as one takeoff and landing, of a passenger's itinerary; (b) up to $18 per round trip in local airport charges; and (c) September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport, up to $5 per one way or $10 per round trip. For international and Puerto Rico/U.S. Virgin Islands destinations, government taxes and fees of up to $160, varying by destination, are not included and may vary slightly depending on currency exchange rates at the time of purchase.

Reservations are required. Tickets must be purchased within 1 day of making reservations, but no later than 11:59 p.m. February 11, 2006 (CST).

Fares are valid for outbound travel April 1 through May 15, 2006. Return travel must be complete by May 31, 2006.

A Saturday-night minimum stay is required.

Travel is valid via Chicago O'Hare Airport on Transatlantic flights AA 292 or AA 293 (bolding mine).
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:04 am
Moderator, OneWorld

I was helping some friends plan a RTW and in December it was trans-Pacific. I phoned the RTW desk on (I think) the same day as the OP and said, "Hi, I'm planning a RTW and I was looking at the ORD-DEL flight..."

The agent cut me off - literally - with "It's now transatlantic."

"But I..."

"Transatlantic. Changed."

Buh-bye.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I'm sorry.. maybe I'm a bit slow here..

But what difference does it make if it's a transatlantic or transpacific flight?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I'm sorry.. maybe I'm a bit slow here..

But what difference does it make if it's a transatlantic or transpacific flight?
AFAIK, you're only allowed one transatlantic flight. With the old rules you could use these flights to go to Asia and then on to Europe, for example ORD-DEL-HKG-FRA-BCN-LHR-ORD.

Now, with the ORD-DEL segment counting as a transatlantic, it's no longer possible to incorporate Europe into a trip that involves the ORD-DEL flight since you're not allowed to backtrack or touch continents twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.