Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Concierge: Does Marriott use a rolling qualification year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia

The Number of stays has been reset to O on our Marriot rewards profile.I was under the assumption that a 12 month rolling schedule would be used for status.Utilizing this 12 month rolling qualification theory I have booked 10 nights between now and mid Feburary to qualify for Gold.These are all leisure weekend trips and are not at all neccesery to me,Just want to achieve Gold and rack up some point during the doubel points promo.
If the stays do not qualify me for gold then I will not rush to make silver again.
So please-let us get a firm answer from Marriott Rewards regarding this.So far the post on this board have been slightly vague as have the answers from the CSR's at Marriott Rewards elite line.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Though there has been no official change in policy, every two weeks Marriott runs a systematic search for accounts that have earned 50 or 75 nights during the past 12 months. These accounts are then upgrade to their respective statuses. This is intended to help those who travel seasonally or join the program midway through the year achieve the level that matches more accurately their level of loyalty.

Chris

Doesn't seem too vague to me. Official policy is still a calendar year, so the web site will reset to 0 on 1/1/xx
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:27 am
Original Poster

CPRich-I and others on this board-do find it vague.In the post you have quoted it states "past 12 months"but you (and others)interpet that as 01-0/1 while others(myself and others)find the wording Vague-i.e. if I do 50 stays but my first stay in 05 was not until 2/05 and I do 50 stays between 2/05 and 2/06 will U acheive gold ?
I would hope our Marriott Rewards Concierge chris will answer this with a clear and precise answer.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
They wouldn't have to check every 2 weeks if the 12-month period was always defined as 1/1 - 12/31. Clearly, this is a rolling 12 months.

Bruce
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Bruce you post is EXACTLY why I (and others)are confused!
CPRich states-rather emphaticly-that it is 1/1-12/31 timeframe while you,and I,and others see it as a rolling 12 month thing.
And the answer provided by the Marriott Concierge IS rather vague,and calls to the Elite line have a "well we'll see-calll us back when you are at 50 stays"tone.
Arghhhhhh!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
When CPRich quotes "past 12 months," that doesn't mean the prior calendar year. It means the previous 12 rolling months. Otherwise, nothing else in the quote makes any sense. And the recent experiences of numerous people who were upgraded mid-year before their year-to-date nights reached the applicable threshold could not have happened. It seems to me that we have our answer already, but it couldn't hurt to have Chris restate it.

Bruce
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:04 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

This is an unpublished benefit. It's been confirmed and explained. Either you believe it exists or you don't. You should make your plans based your belief.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:21 am

Programs: AAPlat, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, all the others...
I had the same question myself a few weeks ago as I too was very close and found the attached text right on the marriott web site stating it was a calendar year qualification program.

Only nights personally stayed and individually billed at participating hotels are credited toward Elite membership and renewal. Accounts may not be combined to achieve Elite membership.

As of June 2, 2003, to achieve or renew Elite status, the following number of personal nights must be stayed between January 1 through December 31 of any given year at participating locations:

Silver 10 to 49 nights
Gold 50 to 74 nights
Platinum 75 or more nights
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
As posted here by timrick it appears that the rolling qualifications are only for NEW Marriott Rewards members to allow someone who joined in November and got 49 nights to still make Gold if he stays sometime in January instead of resetting the counter for them back to 0. All those that have attained status, still need to achieve the qualification requirements within a calendar year.

Originally Posted by timrick's email post
"Elite nights and status for Silver members are calculated by the number of
nights achieved from 1/1-12/31 of each calendar year.

As of August 17th, 2005 for our Gold and Platinum members, initial Elite level
achievement is handled differently. To achieve Gold or Platinum, a member only
need stay the required number of nights in any rolling calendar year. As an
example, let's say that you had 30 nights from September 1st, 2004 to December
31st, 2004 and 45 nights from January 1st, 2005 to September 1st, 2005. As this
would give you 75 nights in a rolling year, you would qualify for our Platinum
status.

As always, any Elite status you earn would be valid for the calendar year you
achieved the status in, as well as the next calendar year. In order to maintain
your Elite status for subsequent years, you would need to stay the required
number of nights during a fixed, non-rolling calendar year. Please note that
the Elite night counter will reset every January 1st of each new calendar year."
Chris should clarify this as "the official spokesperson of Marriott" though.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by psychephylax
Chris should clarify this as "the official spokesperson of Marriott" though.
Is that what he is? I didn't realize that a board post made policy. Seems like that an "official" answer would come from MR.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

oy!Now it gets even more confusing!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Originally Posted by dayone
Is that what he is? I didn't realize that a board post made policy. Seems like that an "official" answer would come from MR.
Look at his first post

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Greetings!

My name is Chris Janecek and I'm excited to join the Flyertalk community as an official representative for Marriott Rewards! My goal is to assist you with the "ins-and-outs" of Marriott Rewards, and to be you resource for answers on our award winning program. As always, we'll be happy to continue to provide you with personalized service on your account--simply send us a note at [email protected] or [email protected]
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
CPRich-I and others on this board-do find it vague.In the post you have quoted it states "past 12 months"but you (and others)interpet that as 01-0/1 while others(myself and others)find the wording Vague-i.e. if I do 50 stays but my first stay in 05 was not until 2/05 and I do 50 stays between 2/05 and 2/06 will U acheive gold ?
I would hope our Marriott Rewards Concierge chris will answer this with a clear and precise answer.
BGIP,

Chris has posted an answer (quoted below in Itl by CPRich)
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:04 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
The only vagueness is that the official policy says one thing (1/1--12/31) but the reality is that MR has been doing something else! (rolling 12 months--checking every 2 weeks.)
Dayone has hit the nail on the head in Post #7--so I say that the odds are in BGIP's
favor to get Gold this way--but it is still a gamble, not a promise!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:22 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Jan 1 to Dec 31 has been the policy for some time

I remember a long time ago that the policy at Marriott was a rolling 12 months, and this was a real pain. But many years ago it was changed to a calender year and I think this is a better way of doing things. As someone pointed out they may cut some slack for the first year by giving you 12 months to make it. Also, by checking every 2 weeks you get upgraded to the new level at that time and you get to stay there for the remainder of that year and the next. THis I think is a good way to reward people. But, this is just my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.