Wiki Posts
Search

Osaka Itami Ground Transportation?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Osaka Itami Ground Transportation?

Hi,

I searched the forum but didn't find much info. that helps me out for my situation.

I'll be coming into Osaka-Itami (ITM) from Narita and landing at ITM about 7:15pm. I am considering staying that night at the Hilton Osaka, but that is not set in stone. What I'm wondering is what are the easiest ways to get from Itami to the Hilton Osaka (or other known hotels)? I don't speak any Japanese, and I'd rather not pay a ton for a taxi. Are there any dedicated hotel buses to/from Itami, or is there any easy rail connection to Shin-Osaka, for example?

Perhaps also for further consideration: the following morning I am heading out of Kansai (KIX) on an international flight, so I was thinking that a hotel that is easily accessable to both airports would be ideal.

Thanks for any recommendations, as I will be a weary traveler at that point (DFW-ORD-NRT-ITM, and coming in from Acapulco-DFW the night before) and will really be looking forward to getting to sleep ASAP that evening.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:56 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
This looks like a very tiring plan. Are you sure there's no flight from NRT to your onward international destination?

If there is a reason that you need to visit central Osaka, then I would say that the Hilton is a good choice - immediately in front of Osaka Station / Umeda Station.

NOTE - Basically "Osaka" and "Umeda" are two stations in the same location - different railway companies. (I will write "UMEDA" for this location for the rest of this post).
But be very careful - Do not confuse this with "Shin Osaka" which is a different place entirely - a couple of miles North of central Osaka.

The Hilton website (in the Japanese pages) recommends taking a bus from Itami airport to UMEDA STATION. (The bus drops you right across the street from the hotel).

However, as far as I can see, the buses from ITM to UMEDA station seem to stop running at 7.05pm, so that probably won't work for you.

It is possible to get from ITM to UMEDA station by trains (Take the monorail to Hotaru ga Ike (200yen), then change to the Hankyu line to UMEDA (220yen)). But coping with trains and luggage and travel fatigue ...

But you mentioned that you're just going to get to sleep ASAP when you get to your hotel, so I'm tempted to suggest that you take a bus from ITM to KIX and spend the night at a hotel near KIX. It means that you spend a little longer in transit after you arrive at ITM - but overall it saves you time and hassle. (Sadly you will miss the chance to see central Osaka nightlife).

There are buses from ITM to KIX
Depart ITM at 7.40pm / 8.10pm / 8.40pm /
Journey time is 75 mins
Price is 1700yen

At KIX, you could (for example) stay at the Nikko Hotel, which is immediately next to the airport terminal.

Coupon on this site is valid on weekdays until Jan 16 - to get a 40% discount from rack rate:
http://coupons.yahoo.co.jp/bin/detai...=coupon&.done=

(After discount, a single room is 13,000yen)

Alternatively you could stay at the ANA hotel or several other hotels which are on the mainland, next to the airport island.

I hope this helps - If you prefer to stay in central Osaka, I can give more advice on that option ... It's do-able.

Last edited by jib71; Dec 22, 2005 at 1:44 am
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Hi,

thanks for the informative reply.

Basically, I need to stay overnight in Osaka because I got a cheap ticket to Osaka, but I decided to use Osaka as a "jumping point" and continue further onto Asia (Kuala Lumpur and Thailand, to be exact). So, the only way the flights work out is that I come into Osaka (ITM) from the U.S. in the evening, stay overnight, and depart from Kansai the following day.

Regarding my fatigue levels: I suspect I will be fine and would be able to handle transfers, etc. But arriving without any sort of plan would likely take a lot of energy to figure out where I need to go. If I know what train/bus/car/etc. to look for, which station to change at, which type of ticket to buy, etc. ahead of time, I think I'll be fine going through the motions to get to whatever hotel is best.

Regarding my hotel: I know very little about Osaka and surrounding area, which is partially why I haven't booked the hotel. I was thinking the Osaka Hilton because I was told it was across the street from Shin-Osaka, which would be very easy access to KIX for the next day. Apparently that is not the case? The other thing I have going for me is that I have a $250 Expedia voucher that I have to use that is only good in Japan and I have to book it before the end of the year (long story, ask later if you want ). So, I figure I might as well splurge and stay at a prime location at a nice hotel that has good connection to the airports. Naturally you'll pay a premium for this, but I figured my $250 voucher would cover most anything I would want for one night.

Since my flight the next day doesn't depart until 11am, i could stand to stay out a bit and get a quick sample of Osaka nightlife before turning in, so I wouldn't want a place that's too far out from anything, especially since this would probably make travel to KIX more difficult as well.

Any further or refined advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:03 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The most varied nightlife and at the same time reasonably accessible to a non-Japanese speaker tends to be in the Namba area. You could look for hotels either near Tennoji ( about 30 minutes from KIX with the Haruka ) or JR Namba ( 50 minutes with rapid airport train ) stations. However, if you are more into pub/bar type entertainment than clubs and would like to stay at the Hilton, there are many nightlife choices within easy walking distance in Umeda.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:08 am

Good news - I found that the bus from Itami Airport to Osaka station / Umeda station actually runs until 9.08pm:

So - when you arrive at Itami airport, go out of the terminal and catch the bus from bus stop number 16 (at the South Terminal) or bus stop 6 (at the North Terminal)

Buses depart at 7.45pm / 8.05pm / 8.22pm / 8.38pm / 8.55pm and 9.08pm
Journey time = 30 mins
Price = 620yen (Cash only)

Timetable is here
http://www.okkbus.co.jp/eng/html/pe_itm_umd018.html

If you want to see a map of the Hilton Hotel and the bus stop where you will get off the bus, click on the following link, and then click on the button marked "maps of bus stops" -
http://www.okkbus.co.jp/eng/html/pe_umd018_itm.html#

(Click once more on the "Marubiru" and you will see the bus stop which is straight across the road from the Osaka Hilton.)

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I was thinking the Osaka Hilton because I was told it was across the street from Shin-Osaka, which would be very easy access to KIX for the next day. Apparently that is not the case?
No - It is across the street from Osaka station (aka Umeda station), which is relatively convenient for getting to KIX.

Then the Osaka Hilton is a good choice. Westin Hotel and Ritz Carlton are maybe nicer, but the Hilton wins for convenient location.

my flight the next day doesn't depart until 11am
Consider that you should aim to arrive at KIX by 9am.
The limousine bus journey from the Hilton is estimated at 75 minutes, but could take longer if the traffic is bad. So you can either take the 6.59am bus. (ugh).

In this case, I think it's much better to take the train:

Check the timetable for the day of your trip on the following site:
http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperd01.cgi

(Input the starting station as "Osaka" and the destination as "Kansai")

For example, if you are travelling on January 29, you can catch a train at 07.55am (JR Kanku Rapid) - which takes you directly to KIX
Arrival at KIX at 09.00am
Price = 1160yen

I think this is your best option.

And.... for the sake of thoroughness... another idea:
You could stay in the Namba part of Osaka (which is South Central Osaka). Quite lively. Slightly further from Itami, but only 30 minutes to KIX....
Swisshotel Namba is directly above Namba station.
If you want that information, let me know.

Last edited by jib71; Dec 22, 2005 at 6:15 am
Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:28 am

How funny that Mosburger should mention Namba...

So - Here's the deal for Namba:

Take the bus from Itami Airport - bus stop 11 (South Terminal) or bus stop 1 (North Terminal)

http://www.okkbus.co.jp/eng/index.html

Buses are very frequent - four or five per hour - until 9.10pm

When you get to Namba, the Swissotel is directly above Nankai Namba station.

The following morning - You can catch the train from Nankai Namba station to KIX.

Nankai AirPort Line Express - Departs Namba Nankai = 08.15am
Arrives at KIX = 08.58am
Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Oh my...thank you both for the wonderful information! Sometimes FlyerTalk is more valuable than a Frommer's/Fodor's/Lonely Planet/etc.

Well, I'm starting to get an idea of what to do...perhaps a few more questions, though. How easy is it to buy tickets for the trains vs. buses, and how much of it supplied in English? When I've traveled abroad, I've normally visited countries where I could at least make out some words on signs and struggle my way through ordering/buying things, but Japanese escapes this American tongue at the moment, although I'l working on it. Are there automated ticket machines that (cross my fingers) have multi-language menus for example? That would be easiest, i suppose. What do you recommend?

Also, it looks like I could have my choice of the Westin, Swisshotel or the Hilton right now. Which would have quickest access the following morning to KIX (assuming I don't take the airport limousine bus) and which would still be easy to get to the night before?

Regarding nightlife, the more I think about it, I probably would not want to visit a club, but probably just get out and walk a bit, get some air, take in the sights, and maybe grab a quick late dinner. Which area would be good for that? Is there one of these hotels that would fit my needs the best?

Thank you so much! It's like having an interactive travel book at my side!

Last edited by SchmutzigMSP; Dec 22, 2005 at 9:59 am
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:47 am

How easy is it to buy tickets for the trains vs. buses, and how much of it supplied in English? When I've traveled abroad, I've normally visited countries where I could at least make out some words on signs and struggle my way through ordering/buying things

Are there automated ticket machines that (cross my fingers) have multi-language menus for example? That would be easiest, i suppose. What do you recommend?
Plenty of foreigners manage to get around - All of the signs in railway stations and airports are in Japanese and English. Railway station platforms show the name of the station in English. (and the name of the next station in English too). Also, most people here are very helpful. Not many people speak great English, but you will never meet hostility when asking for directions or help.

For the bus from Itami airport - I don't know if you purchase in advance or pay on the bus. (I suspect the latter). You can find an information counter in the arrivals hall if you want to ask. (I think I'd go straight to the bus stop and see for myself). One thing is for sure - you need cash for your ticket.

For the train to KIX, you might ask the concierge at your hotel to help you. Alternatively, go to the ticket office at the station - dealing with a human being is probably easier than learning the machines for a first time visitor.
Writing things down (in English) can often help in case someone just cannot understand the way that you're pronouncing a Japanese place name or something - "KANSAI AIRPORT"

choice of the Westin, Swisshotel or the Hilton
Forget the Westin - location is less convenient than the other two.

Which would have quickest access the following morning to KIX (assuming I don't take the airport limousine bus) and which would still be easy to get to the night before?
Swisshotel has quicker access to KIX (only 15/20 min difference)

Hilton is probably easier to reach on the evening of arrival. (marginally)

The bus journey time to Umeda is not much different - but the bus drops you right across the road from the Hilton - whereas if you take the bus to Namba, then you have a short walk from the bus stop to Swisshotel.

Hilton is the 5* hotel - compared with Swisshotel 3*

I have never seen the Swisshotel, but I stayed once at the Hilton - I only remember a nice swimming pool in the hotel itself and good bars and restaurants in the area. Room was fine. Not so special. Breakfast buffet OK.

get out and walk a bit, get some air, take in the sights, and maybe grab a quick late dinner. Which area would be good for that? Is there one of these hotels that would fit my needs the best?
Both hotels are well placed for that.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Riding the trains and purchasing train tickets is an easy process.

Look at the map (sometimes you'll have to dig around for the billingual map), find the station you want to go to, the fare will be listed.

Go to the vending machine, (depending on machine) you select the fare then pay, or you pay then select the fare, and it will spit out your ticket.

The machines also have an "English" button you can push, but if its for a regular one way fare ticket, there's usually no need to use it.

Train platform signage are marked billingual, mostly in English and Japananese, however I have also seen some railines with Korean added as well.

Train announcements (depending on train) might be japanese only, however you can either pay attention to the station name coming close, look out the window for the station name pulling up, also above some car doors is a map listing the next station stop (again it varies from train to train).

Hope that helps.

Already mentioned above about the Rapid train to Kansai Airport:

From Osaka Station to Kansai Airport:

Depart Osaka Station 7:55AM (its on platform/track 1 if I recall).

Fare is 1160Y, which you can purchase from the vending machine.

Last edited by railroadtycoon; Dec 22, 2005 at 7:01 pm
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hilton Osaka's a decent hotel, incidentally, stayed there a few years back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.