Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any program that allows pooling of family miles

Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond

Planning a family trip to ny - europe 8 persons and having hard time dealing with all those useless miles that many will gather as they probably will not travel for a long time. I thought I read somewhere that some programs allow a pooling of miles. (maybe I was dreaming) Currently I am aa plat and flights are very expensive so I am not committed to AA for this trip. It would be great that since I am writing the check if it would help, but since it doesnt I will look for other flights.
Tried search but doesnt seem to be working.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
BA has program were you can setup "Household" account:

From BA website:

As an Executive Club member you can invite up to 6 people to join a Household Account.
Our Household Account enables you to pool your BA Miles with up to 6 other members of your household, so that you can enjoy the membership benefits of the Executive Club collectively.
Please note you can only pool together your BA Miles and NOT your Tier Points, as members of a Household Account.

All members applying to set up or become part of a Household Account must permanently reside at the same residential address.
Business addresses are not permitted for Household Accounts.
Family members of any age can join the Executive Club as part of a Household Account.
Any member of the Household Account who is aged 18 years or over, can redeem the BA Miles collected.
Please note: Any BA Miles collected by a member of a Household Account can only be redeemed by members of the same Household Account and not by other members outside of that specific Account.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA, DL
im pretty sure asiana has something some kind of family account too, you have to fill out some form and send it to them. since its part of star alliance, i dont know if non-asiana flights are elgible, but its worth looking into!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:16 pm

SPG allows pooling

Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) allows you to transfer hotel points between family members at the same address (and you can change your address too)

SPG points are quire valuable,in and of themselves. They can also be converted to most airline programs at 1:1.25 ratio. ^
Old Dec 21, 2005, 8:33 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Qantas allows no-fee transfers to another account if U tell their Website that the transferee is your First Cousin or nearer relative.

AA, UA, CO, AC & DL allow U to transfer to anyone upon payment of an outrageous cash fee > half the value of the darn miles. Not worth it unless a friend has a few K useless miles of an amount that puts U over the top for overseas First/ Biz.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 8:52 pm

What happens if a one family member is just short a few thousand miles for an award, but the other family member is has more than enough for one award, then will any of the carriers redeem two award tickets?

i.e.,
Family member A has 95K miles
Family member b has 85K miles

They would both like to get a 90K business award ticket, traveling on the same PNR.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
ANA and BA both have household-type accounts.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:24 am

Programs: AA, AB, AC, ..., ZZ
Emirates' Skywards runs a "family bonus" program. You earn 20% of the miles flown by other designated members of your family. Useful when relatives travel infrequently.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Aloha Airlines allows pooling of miles between family members. It's known as the Ohana (aka Family in English) Plan: http://www.alohaair.com/OhanaPlan.php
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by RaysMD
What happens if a one family member is just short a few thousand miles for an award, but the other family member is has more than enough for one award, then will any of the carriers redeem two award tickets?

i.e.,
Family member A has 95K miles
Family member b has 85K miles

They would both like to get a 90K business award ticket, traveling on the same PNR.
Many programs allow transfers for a fee.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by mshaikun
Many programs allow transfers for a fee.
Qatar Airways.
I think you can have 8 or 9 family members in family account. They just announced partenership with United and they also partner with Virgin, Lufthansa and ANA. You can fly United, Lufthansa or Virgin to europe and bank all miles in your account. You can't redeem miles on UAL yet but charts should be coming out early next year.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:32 am

Programs: Many
It was a hidden perk of the former AF Frequence Plus. For their very loyal customers (the best Rouge ones), AF allowed to pool the miles from the different members of the family if a family trip on award tickets was planned.

I have never tried with Flying Blue though. But one thing is predictible, you will need to be a super Platinum to do this.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:38 pm
tsw

if i remember right, korean air's program allows family... at least that's what they told us when we signed up...
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA 2MM,Marriott, Hilton
Hawaiian Air allows you to pool miles with friends and family up to 10 times in a calender year if you have one of their cc. Not sure if they are affiliated with anyone flying to Europe though.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 1:26 am

KOREAN airlines allows pooling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.