Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Blue1 expanding heavily: new aircraft, new destinations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond

Wow, this is great news for us Finnish travellers ^ ^

Blue1, the fastest growing airline in Finland, continues its expansion program in connection with the summer traffic program starting March 2006. New aircraft will join the fleet and the amount of destinations will grow from 14 to 25. Blue1 will go heavily in on Europe with daily connections to such destinations as London, Zurich and Warsaw but also with flights to tourist destinations in southern Europe such as Athens, Rome , Nice and Barcelona.

70 % increase in production - three Boeing MD-90

Three Boeing MD-90, with a seating capacity of 166 seats, will join the fleet existing for the time being of 9 Avro RJ:s and 5 Saab 2000. The production, ASK (available seatkilometer) will increase with more than 70 %.

11 new destinations

Blue1 expands on the European market by introducing scheduled flights starting from March 2006 to:

Athens, Barcelona, Dublin, Düsseldorf, London, Madrid, Nice, Paris, Rome, Warsaw and Zurich.

Responding to market needs

"This heavy expansion is our response to the market need", says Stefan Wentjärvi, President and CEO of Blue1. Blue1 is already the biggest operator between Finland and Scandinavia, we have a firm grip of the Finnish domestic market and now our next step is Europe. For business travelers we can now offer better connections to destinations as London and Zurich but we can also offer our private travelers smart and price worthy flights to southern Europe", says Wentjärvi.

Blue1 Corporate Communications

More information:
Tom Christides, V.P. Corporate Communications tel: +358 40 7523131
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:44 am

Excellent news. And the best part is that Blue1 doesn´t have the p-class. At least for now. I´m very glad I have flown enough on SAS to have status. It´s very hard get points with the lower earnings, but this is great news for us in Finland. Direct star alliance flights to London and Paris. Many others as well.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Direct star alliance flights to London and Paris. Many others as well.
I wonder which airport in London they will start to serve? They could go to LCY with their Avro's, which would be great for business people but not good for connecting traffic.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:29 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by harri
I wonder which airport in London they will start to serve?
I wonder which airport(s) in _Finland_ they will serve, with this expanded routemap. It would be nice if we in Tampere could have more than just ARN and CPH.

cheers,

Henry
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:42 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by henry999
I wonder which airport(s) in _Finland_ they will serve, with this expanded routemap. It would be nice if we in Tampere could have more than just ARN and CPH.
I would bet Helsinki ... Tampere probably will not get anything new.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by harri
I wonder which airport in London they will start to serve? They could go to LCY with their Avro's, which would be great for business people but not good for connecting traffic.
This has been rumoured and would certainly be easier than getting convenient slots at LHR.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miikka
I would bet Helsinki ... Tampere probably will not get anything new.
Yes, you are correct, all these routes are from Helsinki accoring to the Finnish language version of this news release:
Blue1 suuntaa voimakkaasti Euroopan markkinoille ja aloittaa maaliskuussa 2006 säännölliset lennot Helsingistä seuraaviin Euroopan kaupunkeihin: Ateena, Barcelona, Dublin, Düsseldorf, Lontoo, Madrid, Nizza, Pariisi, Rooma, Varsova ja Zürich.
http://wpy.observer.se/wpyfs/00/00/0...B/release.html

From my point of view, I just hope the new timetable would have good connections from KUO to these destinations
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:20 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by House
This has been rumoured and would certainly be easier than getting convenient slots at LHR.
Stansted.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:45 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Great news, especially with the London route!!
With the current inflight service of Blue1 it could actually be worth the effort to fly London-Stockholm via Helsinki, both for the service and the points.
I just hope they won't introduce p-class on Blue1 as well.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by jacob_m
Last time I was attending the Blue1 customer meeting (EBGs invited to give their opinion about the new service concept) they told that they are very proud to be full-service airline.

If they haven't changed their strategy and opinion then Blue1 will stay as full-service airline.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:55 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by jacob_m
Great news, especially with the London route!!
With the current inflight service of Blue1 it could actually be worth the effort to fly London-Stockholm via Helsinki, both for the service and the points.
They won't, not as long they are the targeted weapon against AY. I wish they would have started service to LGW instead, would have reopened some great IC connections. Stansted will mean great connections to LCC:s...
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:07 am

It cannot´be Stanstead. That would be very bad for all. Gatwick, maybe.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tsastor
Stansted.
That would be a silly decision. Why compete with Ryanair - surely the target here is AY?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
KF will fly into LHR to connect to *A. Full service will remain until AY is still offering full service. LH even offers full service on their routes to HEL from Germany.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:47 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Originally Posted by oliver2002
KF will fly into LHR to connect to *A. Full service will remain until AY is still offering full service. LH even offers full service on their routes to HEL from Germany.
Which *A ? BD ? Flying where ? HEL-LHR-JFK or IAD or ... with UA ? CPH is most logical ! LHR is the airport where you do not wish to connect on a thight schedule and you not want to have 5hrs just to be on the safe side... You can be delayed even landing at 6:20 am ! Except the UK local market I miss the logic of such a move... OK, perhaps the can use an existing *A lounge and ground personel but be serious which slots can you obtain in LHR if both the departure and arrival places are the main hub of a competing alliance ?

I hope for you it will be LGW.

Last edited by Volvic; Dec 12, 2005 at 7:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.