Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Aircraft Type have the best F seats?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gld, AA MM
What Aircraft Type have the best F seats?

Normally try to fly F on all my longer flights. Have never really paid attention to the aircraft I have been flying (e.g., MD80, 757, etc.), but have noticed that some flights have better F than others...

If I have the choice, which aircraft type on AA should I try to get? Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by stx00820
Normally try to fly F on all my longer flights. Have never really paid attention to the aircraft I have been flying (e.g., MD80, 757, etc.), but have noticed that some flights have better F than others...

If I have the choice, which aircraft type on AA should I try to get? Thanks.

777 Atlantic configuration
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Answer? AA's 777s.

Next best: 767-200 (JFK-LAX/SFO) Transcons

Next best: 767-300 (labeled F if domestic, J if international)

Next best: 737-800s - wide and fairly comfortable.

YMMV.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Answer? AA's 777s.

Next best: 767-200 (JFK-LAX/SFO) Transcons

Next best: 767-300 (labeled F if domestic, J if international)

Next best: 737-800s - wide and fairly comfortable.

YMMV.
My slight modification, in case transcons are involved:

777 suites configuration

777 coffins configuration

762 F (this is a tough one for me; I'm not sure I love this seat -- other than the great recline -- but the seat together with the service puts it ahead of the 763 and 762 J for me)

762 J

MD-80

AB3 (old F configuration; I haven't been on the new ones yet)
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gld, AA MM
Thanks for the replies.

As I primarily fly domestic for business, I checked AA's site and it appears that the majority of flights I will take are on a 757 or MD-80.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies.

As I primarily fly domestic for business, I checked AA's site and it appears that the majority of flights I will take are on a 757 or MD-80.
Well, then, your F seats are gonna suck.

The 757 park benches are not all that cushy, and the narrow MD-80 seats are kinda tight for us larger passengers. The 757 seats are wide. And they really aren't so bad unless you're on an overnight and like to recline a lot and stretch out (which, of course, you can't do).

Blumie: Agree 100% with your expanded list. ^

I actually like the old F seats on the 762s (and also preferred the old J wooley mammoth seats to the blue ones installed a few years ago) - both are more comfortable, as neither feature the newfangled "slimline" design of the current J seats (designed, of course, to maximize legroom with a minimum of pitch). "Slimline" equals less padding, meaning my butt and back can get sore.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I actually like the old F seats on the 762s (and also preferred the old J wooley mammoth seats to the blue ones installed a few years ago) - both are more comfortable, as neither feature the newfangled "slimline" design of the current J seats (designed, of course, to maximize legroom with a minimum of pitch). "Slimline" equals less padding, meaning my butt and back can get sore.
OT: I prefer the new slimline seats to the wooley mammoths. I found that the wooley mammoths, together with the tendency to overheat the cabin, made me too warm. I feel cooler, and therefore more comfortable, in the slimline seats (cooler temperature-wise, not cool like ).
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
My list is similar to Blumie's, but I ahve been on the A300s with the new seats. They are the best standard domestic F seat (as in no legrests) in the system.

My list:

777 Altantic Configuration (I'd be shocked if anyone would disagree)

777 Pacific Configuration

767-200

767-300 J

767-200 J

A300 (new blue seats)

MD-83 (ex-TWA aircraft)

737-800

MD-82 (standard AA seats)

A300 (brown seats)

757 (brown seats)

I would be remiss if I did not mention my all time favorite AA seat (even better than the Flagship Suite), the lie-flat seat F seat on the 767-300s. Two features set this seat apart. First, as you reclined, the legrest would elevate, making certain that your legs were level with your body. Second, it had a built-in massage feature that was great. To experience this seat today, you need to fly on Lan's A340s in F.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 1:09 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
My biggest gripe about the 757 seats (which I will be getting quite familiar with on my current SNN run) is the lack of the adjustable headrest thinghy. I'm 6'5" and the ability to raise and curl the headrests is a godsend when I want to sleep.

Also torn between the MD-80 (it's cozy, and I like the cozy feeling) and the 737 (bigger seat for my lard butt )
Old Dec 8, 2005, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Thanks for the replies.

Just so you know. AA does fly 777s on some domestic routes. DFW-ORD, DFW-MIA are 2 that I know of. These flights are sold as 2 class, F and Y. If you have status, you can reserve a J seat, although it's still Y service, but if you decide to upgrade using miles/stickers, and you're succesful, you can experience the F cabin on a 777.

I did both routes about 5-6 times each and the DFW-MIA always had the Atlantic configuration. The DFW-ORD was about 50/50.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:27 pm

Trip7's, baby. Hands down.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:25 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Given the four AC the poster will be flying (757/757TW and MD80/MD80TW) I think we can ignore the more exotic and comfortable wide-bodies!

MD80 (original AA Config which have the traditional seats with the GOOD headrests) .. any of the EF seats. Someone here on FT measured and when 6AB was added the AB side is like 2" less legt room.

MD80 (TWA re-furbished configuration .. can tell by the different tray tables and the lack of good head rests). Most any seat here is decent .. tho I think 3AB still may have a bit more leg room but have not flow for a couple months on this bird.

757 (AA Config Grey leather seats) ... personally I like 6E the best as you can chat up the FA in the jump seat on takeoff and landing. Others are pretty much the same.

757 (TWA Config .. NOT the leather seats .. kinda plain boring seats). Actually I HATE this config the most.. the seat cushions I think are wearing out (or mine got reversed once) and they are not as comfortable. Also AVOID the bulkhead on this place as both sides little cutouts for your feet to stick under the bulkhead in front. NOT a great sitting position.

HOW can you tell before the flight??? VERY good question. DFW tends to stub flights frequently .. tho I think the 757TWAs are on the more dense routes like LAS and SEA. I think in steerage they have a few more seats.

If I had to make a generalization.... MD80 6E or 5E... 757 6E then flip a coin. Of course this goes against FIBO rules .. but you asked 'favorite seats'.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:41 pm

I have limited experience on AA, one 4-leg roundtrip, consisting on an AA MD80, a TWA MD80 (at least I think it was because it had a TWA meal cart), a 738 and a 757. All legs were in first class and all seats were the starboard bulkhead. The TWA MD-80 had the most uncomfortable F seats I'd ever been in. The AA md-80 was fine, equivelent to the 738 and Alaska's MD-80s. The 757 was slightly more comfortable, plus it had the bulkhead foot cut out, which made it very convenient.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by andrzej
Just so you know. AA does fly 777s on some domestic routes. DFW-ORD, DFW-MIA are 2 that I know of. These flights are sold as 2 class, F and Y. If you have status, you can reserve a J seat, although it's still Y service, but if you decide to upgrade using miles/stickers, and you're succesful, you can experience the F cabin on a 777.

I did both routes about 5-6 times each and the DFW-MIA always had the Atlantic configuration. The DFW-ORD was about 50/50.

And it should be noted that the J seat on a 777 is FAR superior to any F seat in an MD-80, 757, 737, etc. I've also taken the 777 DFW-LAX in J with no stickers, but unfortunately it doesn't look like they do that one any more.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JGR01
Given the four AC the poster will be flying (757/757TW and MD80/MD80TW) I think we can ignore the more exotic and comfortable wide-bodies!

MD80 (original AA Config which have the traditional seats with the GOOD headrests) .. any of the EF seats. Someone here on FT measured and when 6AB was added the AB side is like 2" less legt room.

MD80 (TWA re-furbished configuration .. can tell by the different tray tables and the lack of good head rests). Most any seat here is decent .. tho I think 3AB still may have a bit more leg room but have not flow for a couple months on this bird.

757 (AA Config Grey leather seats) ... personally I like 6E the best as you can chat up the FA in the jump seat on takeoff and landing. Others are pretty much the same.

757 (TWA Config .. NOT the leather seats .. kinda plain boring seats). Actually I HATE this config the most.. the seat cushions I think are wearing out (or mine got reversed once) and they are not as comfortable. Also AVOID the bulkhead on this place as both sides little cutouts for your feet to stick under the bulkhead in front. NOT a great sitting position.

HOW can you tell before the flight??? VERY good question. DFW tends to stub flights frequently .. tho I think the 757TWAs are on the more dense routes like LAS and SEA. I think in steerage they have a few more seats.

If I had to make a generalization.... MD80 6E or 5E... 757 6E then flip a coin. Of course this goes against FIBO rules .. but you asked 'favorite seats'.
Be sure and check Seatguru.com and compare it to the AA seat map. The TWA 757's coach cabin starts with row 7; AA 757's start with row 9. The MD-80's I'm not sure how you can tell before the flight....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.