Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Osaka to NRT - suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Osaka to NRT - suggestions please

We decided to visit Tokyo & Osaka, no matter how the Expedia fiasco settles.
Our problem is we ckeck-out of Osaka Hilton 4/23 AM.....suggestions on making a 6PM flight @ NAR. Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Shinkansen to Shinagawa or Tokyo; switch to Narita Express. About 4 hours.

ANA has two flights ITM-NRT. One is at 8am, too early, the other is at 13:15-14:30 on a CRJ. Cost is about the same as the train, but you'll have like 3.5 hours at NRT.

JL's only ITM-NRT flight is at 8:30. Too early.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Plat
You could always fly into Haneda (Local Tokyo Airport for domestic use only except for some flights to Hawaii) and then jump on the Narita Express/Sobu Line from there. Flights into Haneda are cheaper and more frequent, usually. Options for departure from Osaka include Itami and KIX. Itami will probably be cheaper.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:12 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Best bit would be trying to change departure to KIX or possibly NGO. Otherwise the NH afternoon flight, CRJ or not, looks like heaven compared to the train journey Osaka - Tokyo Station - Narita. Doubtful about the point of flying to Haneda, especially from KIX it makes little sense.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
ANA has two flights ITM-NRT. One is at 8am, too early, the other is at 13:15-14:30 on a CRJ. Cost is about the same as the train, but you'll have like 3.5 hours at NRT.
If you're lightly loaded and want to do avoid sitting in the airport, then the train could be a good option.

But if you've got a lot of luggage, you really want to avoid the interchange from the Tokaido Shinkansen to the N'EX at Tokyo Station: we did this - arriving from Kyoto and heading out to Narita for the airport hotel - and it was the worst part of our whole journey.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
Best bit would be trying to change departure to KIX or possibly NGO. Otherwise the NH afternoon flight, CRJ or not, looks like heaven compared to the train journey Osaka - Tokyo Station - Narita. Doubtful about the point of flying to Haneda, especially from KIX it makes little sense.
I will try and change departure to KIX. If I'm not able, any suggestions for lunch stops along train trip. Any idea of rough cost of train trip? Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jack123
I will try and change departure to KIX. If I'm not able, any suggestions for lunch stops along train trip. Any idea of rough cost of train trip? Thanks!
Get eki-bento for the train!

At the moment, the base fare from Osaka to Narita Airport is 9,350Ą with 6,800Ą for shinkansen supplements and seat reservations; or 6,190Ą without a seat reservation on the shinkansen (the N'EX is reservation only). Those are for standard class - if you want to travel in the green car, the base fare remains 9,350Ą but the supplement increases to 13,880Ą. The green car is reservation only on the Tokaido Shinkansen I think.

The above assumes you take the nozomi trains (the fastest express) via Tokyo Station. It's a bit cheaper on the slower hikari or kodama trains.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the good advice. This is 1st time in Japan (if you could'nt tell)
Old Nov 30, 2005, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Gold; Starwoods Gold; Ameniti; Priority Club; Hertz Gold 5*
Earlier this year I had to get to Osaka from Haneda and back to NRT from Osaka. IMHO, take the express train as the better option. I had one large bag on rollers and had no problems at all. Also, if you have never been on a high speed train, it is quite an experience. This is the so-called "bullet train".

Last edited by bratton; Nov 30, 2005 at 4:55 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:28 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Thanks for the good advice. This is 1st time in Japan (if you could'nt tell)
The Nozomi shinkansen (bullet train) from Shin-Osaka station (note - NOT Osaka station) to/from Tokyo station is about 2 1/2 hours with several departures per hour starting very early in the morning. The Hikari shinkansen is only a few dollars cheaper, 10-15 minutes slower and much less frequent. Nozomi is worth the extra few dollars unless you are using the Japan Rail Pass which doesn't cover Nozomi. The JR Narita Express train from Tokyo station to NRT takes about an hour and the alternative Limousine Bus takes about an hour and a quarter, depending on traffic. Allow at least a half hour to negotiate Tokyo station to either the N'Ex or bus stand for a first-timer - maybe more. The place is huge and very confusing. The train to NRT is faster and a bit more comfortable but has limited luggage space. If you have lots of baggage, consider the limo bus. DO NOT TAKE A CAB TO/FROM NRT-TOKYO. Fares can run $250 - $300.00.

You can purchase your tickets all the way to NRT in advance at the "green window" at any JR station. Get them early in your trip for best selection of times and seat reservations.

How are you getting to Osaka? Arriving NRT or KIX? If your destination is Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe, KIX is far and away a more convenient gateway. NGO is a close second.

If you search in the Destinations/Tokyo forum, you will find several lengthy threads on this with tons of helpful information, including website links, maps, timetables, etc.

JR

Last edited by abmj-jr; Nov 30, 2005 at 11:30 pm
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The Nozomi shinkansen (bullet train) from Shin-Osaka station (note - NOT Osaka station) to/from Tokyo station is about 2 1/2 hours with several departures per hour starting very early in the morning. The Hikari shinkansen is only a few dollars cheaper, 10-15 minutes slower and much less frequent. Nozomi is worth the extra few dollars unless you are using the Japan Rail Pass which doesn't cover Nozomi. The JR Narita Express train from Tokyo station to NRT takes about an hour and the alternative Limousine Bus takes about an hour and a quarter, depending on traffic. Allow at least a half hour to negotiate Tokyo station to either the N'Ex or bus stand for a first-timer - maybe more. The place is huge and very confusing. The train to NRT is faster and a bit more comfortable but has limited luggage space. If you have lots of baggage, consider the limo bus. DO NOT TAKE A CAB TO/FROM NRT-TOKYO. Fares can run $250 - $300.00.

You can purchase your tickets all the way to NRT in advance at the "green window" at any JR station. Get them early in your trip for best selection of times and seat reservations.

How are you getting to Osaka? Arriving NRT or KIX? If your destination is Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe, KIX is far and away a more convenient gateway. NGO is a close second.

If you search in the Destinations/Tokyo forum, you will find several lengthy threads on this with tons of helpful information, including website links, maps, timetables, etc.

JR
Thanks for making it clear abnj-jr.

I traded in miles, I think a change cost $100/each
We presently arrive in Tokyo & stay there for a week. On Sun 4/23 we plan
to take train to Osaka Hilton ( I'll use your instructions, just going south).
I did departure from NRT to avoid a early AM flt.(JL) from KIX and 6+ hour wait at NRT.
My decision so far is to follow your instructions re: trains & take a bento lunch.
Thanks again.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:54 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... We presently arrive in Tokyo & stay there for a week. On Sun 4/23 we plan to take train to Osaka Hilton ( I'll use your instructions, just going south). I did departure from NRT to avoid a early AM flt.(JL) from KIX and 6+ hour wait at NRT.

My decision so far is to follow your instructions re: trains & take a bento lunch.

Thanks again.
Since I am not a huge fan of eki-bento, I usually just grab a sandwich and bottle of green tea from a station kiosk or any of the many minimarts nearby.

If you are going BOTH directions on the shinkansen Tokyo-Osaka-Tokyo, you might almost be money ahead to purchase a JR Rail Pass before your trip. For just the 2 long trips, you wouldn't break even, but adding in the N'Ex and any other local JR rail travel would put you over. In that case, you would need to time the "activation" of the pass so the 7 day period would include both shinkansens, local trains in Osaka and the N'Ex back to NRT. Might be worth a few minutes with pencil, paper and calculator to figure this out. Google "Japan Rail Pass" for info on rates, restrictions and where to purchase. I usually don't bother as I'm either not traveling enough to justify the cost or staying too long to fit my travel into the 7 or 14 day limits.

You don't say how long you will be in Osaka, but the last few days of April/first week of May would put you into Golden Week for your return. That would be a Bad Thing in terms of finding space on trains as everyone in Japan travels during that time. If you will only be in Osaka a few days, you should be fine - and out of the country before the madness starts.

JR

Last edited by abmj-jr; Dec 1, 2005 at 11:57 am
Old Dec 1, 2005, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another reason to buy food to eat on the train is that if you exit at a station midway, you will have to pay significantly more for the ticket. No penalty if you don't leave the station and have unreserved seats, but in that case it's not really different from buying the food and bringing it with you.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:15 pm

Programs: Continental *A Gold
Thanks for making it clear abnj-jr.

I traded in miles, I think a change cost $100/each
We presently arrive in Tokyo & stay there for a week. On Sun 4/23 we plan
to take train to Osaka Hilton ( I'll use your instructions, just going south).
I did departure from NRT to avoid a early AM flt.(JL) from KIX and 6+ hour wait at NRT.
Thanks again.
I just saw your thread so sorry if this advise is a bit late. I was in Japan last year for the first time and took a friends advise to buy a first class JR pass here in the U.S. before departure. The first class fare R/T Japan - Nagoya fare pays for the pass. Shin - Osaka is another hour so you will be saving money right away and first class is the way to go.
Just activate the pass in Tokyo 7 days before your departure from NRT, it also covers the Narita Express.
Riding the Shinkansen (Bullet train) was one of my best expierieces in Japan.
Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.