JAL joins oneWorld

Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:13 am

Despite LAN's growing presence in SA, there is definitely a need for a Brazilian carrier with a network inside Brazil unless LAN starts doing more routes in Brazil. Brazil is a huge country with a growing tourist infrustructure and OWA is way behind *A here which has VARIG as a partner.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by christep
And, from what I've heard, JAL F in the 747 is far superior to AA's Latin America offering on the 763.
Not really a fair comparison, though. First, the 763 is two-class Biz/Eco, and second, AA runs a 777 between New York and Sao Paolo. What AA runs to the rest of Latin America is immaterial b/c Sao Paolo is the only route that JL flies. Whether AA runs the suites or coffins to Sao Paolo, I have no idea. I do remember reading somewhere, though, that JAL runs an older jet on this route. I believe that it was said that JL runs one jet NRT-JFK-NRT and another JFK-SAO-JFK and that the second is the old style. So it's very possible, given an old config on JL and suites on AA, that AA would be a better choice.

I would still personally take Lan over either, but that's just my own personal preference.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Darren
Not really a fair comparison, though. First, the 763 is two-class Biz/Eco, and second, AA runs a 777 between New York and Sao Paolo. What AA runs to the rest of Latin America is immaterial b/c Sao Paolo is the only route that JL flies. Whether AA runs the suites or coffins to Sao Paolo, I have no idea. I do remember reading somewhere, though, that JAL runs an older jet on this route. I believe that it was said that JL runs one jet NRT-JFK-NRT and another JFK-SAO-JFK and that the second is the old style. So it's very possible, given an old config on JL and suites on AA, that AA would be a better choice.

I would still personally take Lan over either, but that's just my own personal preference.
I flew the JFK-GRU route a few times about 4-5 years ago in JL F, AA F (when 763s had F flat beds) and AA J (3-class 763). The JL flight was in fact on older equipment; they had the solo seats on some flights, but JFK-GRU was their version of a coffin, configured with 3 rows of 4 in the nose of the 747, so only 12 seats total. Pretty spacious. Seats were similar to AA's 763 coffins. Service was meaningfully better, but of course this was back when AA still served caviar in F and freshly-prepared eggs for breakfast. Still, more attentive service on JL, more comprehensive meal offering (the fruit, cheese and pastry cart was a nice touch) and better wines. No PJs but I think there were duvets.

If I were to compare that experience to AA's current 777 F product, I'd probably give the AA Flagship Suite seat the advantage (pun intended), but call it a draw on AA's coffins (JL would win on general cabin ambiance for the 747.) Assuming JL's service standards have not deteriorated, they would win by a mile vs. AA.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:11 pm

This article discusses the importance of Oneworld expansion, particularly the addition of JL, to AA.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....2257ec1c.html
Old Nov 6, 2005, 4:02 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
JAL 047/048 NRT-JFK-SAO is indeed on old equipment so have older style J and F seats.
JAL005/006 NRT-JFK have the newer flat bed seats.
So the Sao Paulo route doesnt really add to oneworld.However it will give us travellers from downunder a greater choice and flexibility so I am hoping the marriage is consumated quickly.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:24 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
JAL makes a loss

http://today.reuters.com/business/ne...&imageid=&cap=

Into the red and forecast to stay their..... oneworld membership might be a short-lived exercise
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:57 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Darren

Whether AA runs the suites or coffins to Sao Paolo, I have no idea.

Usually suites, but not always. By 'suites' I mean the 1-2-1 configuration, with chairs that swivel a little to the side to make a bed. AA never has pajamas or duvets, and the blankets are the same as in business class.

Last edited by ajnaro; Nov 8, 2005 at 5:51 pm
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by moa999
JAL makes a loss

http://today.reuters.com/business/ne...&imageid=&cap=

Into the red and forecast to stay their..... oneworld membership might be a short-lived exercise
I think JL decided to join oneworld in order to cut their own loss-making services and cover those routes with oneworld codeshares.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Should OW try to add another US carrier - one that has a strong presence on the West Coast - eg Alaska Airlines?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:45 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Stay with JAL or change to other OW program?

Am trying to convince a colleague of mine about the value of ff programs. She already has a JAL non-elite MB account and read that they will be joining OW alliance. Would she be best off staying with JAL or are there better programs in OW (EQM earning/promotions/benefits?) She is based in Japan and flies mostly intra-Asia, with some trips to Australia and the US thrown in. I fly mostly ST alliance myself, so have no experience with OW programs. Have personally switched from AF/KLM FB to NW WP because of EQM earning rules and lower intra-Asia award redemptions.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, HHonors, SPG.
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Should OW try to add another US carrier - one that has a strong presence on the West Coast - eg Alaska Airlines?
with the merger of America West and US airways I'd think BA would be supportive. They had a points partnership with HP which ends on 31Dec05. Plus the AA/alaska relationship adds to the likelyhood IMHO.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:50 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
time frame

Does anyone know the time frame for JAL to complete the oneworld integration?
I know it takes about 12 to 24 mos.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

join OW already so i can use elite lines here @ the AA checkins
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:43 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by yuchung5
Does anyone know the time frame for JAL to complete the oneworld integration?
I know it takes about 12 to 24 mos.
I did a little holiday reading and specifically looked at Malev.It signed a memorandum of understanding with oneworld in may 2005.Its official invitation to join was november 22nd and it is not expected to join until late 2006 at earliest.
It would seem therefore that we may have to wait until late 2007 for JAL to join oneworld.I certainly hope it is sooner but I dont have high hopes.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:01 pm

Programs: NW-G, HH-D, *W-G, GP-D, JL-JGP
Is there any news on when will JAL joins OW? Parhaps, April????
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Aston
with the merger of America West and US airways I'd think BA would be supportive. They had a points partnership with HP which ends on 31Dec05. Plus the AA/alaska relationship adds to the likelyhood IMHO.
This I doubt. AS loves to form relationships with everyone who isn't *A. Just recently added AF (and re-added KL) to the AS MP FFP and miles from AS/QX are EQM in FB and v-v. Of the 5 ST airlines that have a relationship with AS, only CO doesn't offer EQMs. Of the 5 OW airlines, only AA and LA offer EQMs. AS has a tighter relationship with NW than AA. Only way to get AS to join OW is for AA to buy it, and that would mean AA destroying a 3rd west coast airline it acquired.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.