status match

Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EX DL DM. Free Agent Flier. Virtuoso TA & Every single hotel affiliation out there.
status match

How to go about a status match with Marriott?
I am currently a SPG gold.
Thanks.
I'm new to Marriott.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Marriott is reluctant to match status. But it is possible.

The best way of getting it matched is to provide them with enough proof that you will bring them sufficient business in the future. Perhaps a year worth of credit card statements with hotel stays highlighted. This won't guarantee you a status match though.

They also do some fast track programs if you have been at a certain level before. But you said you're new so that's probably not an option.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by sarahlee
I am currently a SPG gold.
As is anyone with a pulse.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Credit Card

Signing up for the Marriott Rewards credit card will get you instant silver and some starter points (plus first year with no annual fee).

I think there are quite a few previous threads on this available by search.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:37 pm

Programs: United 1K
I guess some of us don't have a pulse.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
SPG gold is well below Marriott gold, and slightly above Marriott silver in benefits. For those interested, various airlines have given comp SPG gold to their (even non-elite) frequent flyers. Northwest, for one, sent mass e-mail invitations to NW ffers. Also, AAA members receive elite status with SPG, upon request. SPG platinum, however, is at least equivalent to Marriott platinum, and includes as a perk upgrades to a standard suite, if available.

If Marriott were to comp SPG golds, I would guess it would be to no higher than Marriott silver, which one can obtain with a Marriott Visa.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Put me down with no pulse as well.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
As is anyone with a pulse.
That is correct.

I faxed my Hyatt, Hilton, and IC account statements to Marriott service center and got Marriott Gold. I would have qualified anyway in a few months but just wanted to get the Gold benefits immediately. Should qualify for Platinum by the years end.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by holtju2
That is correct.

I faxed my Hyatt, Hilton, and IC account statements to Marriott service center and got Marriott Gold. I would have qualified anyway in a few months but just wanted to get the Gold benefits immediately. Should qualify for Platinum by the years end.
Note that the thread and the quote referred to matching to SPG gold, which you apparently didn't have.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by ohmark
Note that the thread and the quote referred to matching to SPG gold, which you apparently didn't have.
The part that I referred yes.

The OP, however, asked if the Marriott would match the SPG Gold Status. I believe that it would depend how many actual stays the OP has with SPG.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:48 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Marriott does not match status easily

A coworked who is Platinum with SPG called Marriott Rewards about a status match. She was told that Marriott would only give her silver status and would make her gold if she stayed 18 nights within the next 45 days or 30 nights over the next 90. She would have to earn Platinum or her own. She turned it down and happily remained with SPG.

RIP...
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by OU812
A coworked who is Platinum with SPG called Marriott Rewards about a status match. She was told that Marriott would only give her silver status and would make her gold if she stayed 18 nights within the next 45 days or 30 nights over the next 90. She would have to earn Platinum or her own. She turned it down and happily remained with SPG.

RIP...
As has been repeatedly posted here in numerous threads, it appears that whether Marriott offers a status match, a challenge, or nothing depends upon which Marriott customer service person deals with the request. According to FT posters, Marriott's responses have been all over the board. A number of years ago, it appeared Marriott just did not match status. Over the past year or so, posters reported a variety of responses.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Personally, I like that Marriott doesn't match status easily. It keeps the program from devaluing. I got SPG Gold and I have never stayed at a Starwood propery!

Similarly, take a look at United's 2P and 1P levels. They're adding 2P members by the planeload.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
What's the trick to get status match with Marriott?

I am currently Hilton Diamond and SPG Platinum and could not get any match from Marriott. Currently at Silver with Marriott, but earned by staying 10 nites (whoo hoo!).

Any suggestions for getting Marriott to give a higher level match in order to earn my future business?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:25 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Well, you can look through the Hotel Status Match Master Thread . But in all you will get about the same info as in this very thread. Marriott just doesn't match very easily.

With that said, you (1) Keep calling until you find an MR help desk person willing to help you out, (2) Ask the MR help desk person about a possible elite challenge rather than a status match. I have seen a number of posts recently where Marriott may be allowing those more than a status match. You might have more luck with both of these options if you can show the Marriott rep that you currently have 'X' reservations on file. This shows that you really will be moving business their way and they may be more willing to work with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.