Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Court hearing - former Singapore Airlines employee stole 17 milliion Qantas miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Court hearing - former Singapore Airlines employee stole 17 milliion Qantas miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K

October 24,2005

An airline employee who hacked into Qantas's mainframe computer was able to amass more than 17 million frequent flyer points without catching a plane, a court has heard.

Austin Perrott, who has more than 15 years' experience in the airline industry, yesterday admitted that he had created frequent flyer accounts under fictitious names after he discovered a loophole in the computer system.

Perrott found he could add false names to passenger lists once planes had landed in Melbourne.

The County Court heard that Perrott, 45, was a customer services supervisor with Singapore Airlines when the scam was hatched in February 1996. It ended in 2002.

Prosecutor Chris Beale told the court that the points were worth almost $790,000 — with more than $200,000 worth redeemed. Nine airlines were affected.

Mr Beale said Perrott used the points for accommodation on a trip to the US with his wife and children, as well as on domestic flights. Family and friends also paid him for air tickets.

Perrott's deceit was revealed when an Air New Zealand investigation discovered he was a Gold Elite member and that many points had been gained from planes landing in Melbourne.

Mr Beale said Perrott asked friends at Qantas for the password to the computer system, telling them it was so he could gain access to cheap or free seats for staff at other airlines. Once he had the password, he was able to access other airlines.

Yesterday Perrott, from the Melbourne suburb of Middle Park, pleaded guilty to nine counts of obtaining financial advantage by deception.

His lawyer, Greg Lyon, said that his client was desperately trying to maintain a lifestyle that he and his family had previously enjoyed.

Mr Lyon said Perrott was remorseful and had stopped the scam by his own volition.

His last offence was in October 2002, five months before he was interviewed by police.

The plea hearing, before Judge Roy Punshon, continues.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 4:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Thanks, but this was in the media about 6 to 12 months ago. QF get very nasty if they catch the cheats.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:39 pm

17 million points worth $790,000.

Is this valuation of 4.647 cents per point in line with the value FT'ers put on the points?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:00 pm

Programs: QP NB
Originally Posted by under the clocks
17 million points worth $790,000.

Is this valuation of 4.647 cents per point in line with the value FT'ers put on the points?
Personally I think that is a huge overstatement of the value. I also read an article in the herald-sun stating that United had put in a claim that the 12,000 miles he used for a return economy MEL-SFO flight was worth $13,000 when the same fare could have been purchased for @ $2,000. More than likely the prosecution overstating the value of the points to get a bigger sentence and dissuade others from trying this or similar tricks.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Hmmmmm....how many programs say that "points have no cash value" in their T&C???
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:24 pm

Jail for frequent flyer fraudster

A Melbourne man who had 17.6 million frequent flyer points with some of the world's biggest airlines without getting onto a plane has been jailed.

Austin Perrott, 45, of Middle Park, pleaded guilty in the Victorian County Court to nine counts of obtaining financial advantage by deception, was today jailed for six months, with 26 months suspended for two years.

The court was told Perrott received the points between February 1996 and October 2002, while working as a Singapore Airlines customer services supervisor in Melbourne.

Using 29 different accounts, Perrott took advantage of a computer system irregularity to gather points from frequent flyer programs at nine airlines, including Qantas, Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways.

The married father of three acquired 17.6 million frequent flyer points and redeemed 4.3 million, which he mostly sold to family and friends for money, the court heard.

Judge Roy Punshon said the value of the total points stolen, about $400,000, was very substantial.

He said the motive behind Perrott's offending was probably his devotion to his family and his desire to make their life comfortable.

Judge Punshon took into account Perrott had cooperated with authorities when his deception was detected, showed remorse, had suffered considerable shame and had pleaded guilty.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
just a suggestion - can you guys add links to the original stories please. I wanted to save these, and read any extra data in there.

Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
I do wonder if the judge would have given a longer term if he sold them for money instead of giving it to family members?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Wongo
I do wonder if the judge would have given a longer term if he sold them for money instead of giving it to family members?
Probably not

Originally Posted by under the clocks
... which he mostly sold to family and friends for money, the court heard.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
just a suggestion - can you guys add links to the original stories please. I wanted to save these, and read any extra data in there.

Thanks.
If you ever see a news article that isn't properly attributed, the easiest thing to do is to use the excellent Google News service to try and track it down.

http://news.google.com.au

An excellent index of news articles from around the world.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:02 am

Ahhh...obtaining financial advantage by deception (OFAD). I had to learn all of that for my exam a few weeks ago.

And it's still fresh in my head - to charge someone for OFAD under Vic law, prosecution has to prove that the accused has dishonestly obtained for himself/herself financial advantage by making a false representation s/he knows to be untrue or has a substantial risk of being untrue. The interpretation of 'dishonest' by the Vic Supreme Court is extremely narrow and property offences charged here can produce very different outcomes to jusrisdictions like the UK or some other Australian states.

Hence the fact that he wanted a comfortable life for his family would not have an impact on the sentence at all, unless the judge chose to apply a bit of the UK approach which allows for a belief in one's moral right to FA or property.

The judge probably took into consideration the multiple counts of deception - deception of his family/friends, and more importantly the deception of the airlines (or more specifically, deceiving the computer system into making unauthorised transactions).

On the 'facts' (i added the quotation marks because journalists have a strong tendency to misrepresent things and i havent read the actual case - perform a search on http://www.austlii.edu.au/ if interested) it is not quite clear whether criminal charges were also issued by family and friends, or the financial advantage he obtained from having those miles in the first place and selling them off to friends (in the form of redeemed tickets) were taken into consideration in the sentence.

Ok that was totally OT, but was just fun reading something so close to what I learnt in the textbook. :P

Last edited by Keith009; Nov 24, 2005 at 2:10 am
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by QF009
On the 'facts' (i added the quotation marks because journalists have a strong tendency to misrepresent things and i havent read the actual case - perform a search on http://www.austlii.edu.au/ if interested) it is not quite clear whether criminal charges were also issued by family and friends, or the financial advantage he obtained from having those miles in the first place and selling them off to friends (in the form of redeemed tickets) were taken into consideration in the sentence.

Ok that was totally OT, but was just fun reading something so close to what I learnt in the textbook. :P
More fun, if the people that purchased from it in good faith. They would not be liable for refund?
I wonder will contract law also come into play... I wasn't good at contract.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:28 am

Urgh I sucked so much at contracts that I decided to defer it to next year when the new LLB curriculum at my uni kicks in - it basically turns into Contracts lite! Or maybe not...I'll see. *fingers crossed*
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by QF009
Urgh I sucked so much at contracts that I decided to defer it to next year when the new LLB curriculum at my uni kicks in - it basically turns into Contracts lite! Or maybe not...I'll see. *fingers crossed*
Impressive, uni student AA Plat , I wish I was :-: Gold in my High School years till I got my first status with Qantas end of 2002.
I skipped the management accounting papers in 3rd year because I suxed at it without text book.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Duplicate post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.