Wiki Posts
Search

Chat with Russ Hinckley

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
Chat with Russ Hinckley

Does anyone know when the chat transcript will be posted? Was the chat interesting for anyone that viewed it?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Well some randomly selected participant is going to get 50K miles so I would say it was interesting in that regard.

For the most part it was interesting but not overly revealing. After all someone in that position has to be careful - especially with NW in Chapter 11.

A couple of good points:
1. Someone popped the 'what about elite priority boarding being by-passed so much' and he said he would be rethinking the policy there. Apparently they had established a 60% threshold as an 'experiment' but maybe the feedback is getting there.
2. Negotiations are underway with Alaska to look at enhancing the reciprocity so that NW Elites can use the Alaska MVP lines and vice-versa. This was my question as I seem to get those itens where the route ends with AS connectors in the smaller Western cities.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 4:35 am

Other points I remember

International Upgrades are not in our future

Platinum Point promotion is as worthless to NW as to their customers

No threshold bonuses after 75,000 miles in our future

Overcharging of fees for reward travel was skillfully skirted

33% more miles needed for same flights on same airlines to Asia Pacific was also brought up but not addressed

He doesn't fly NWA WBC much as he says he eats everything in sight when on it. Clearly he does not know there is nothing good to eat
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I think the most important thing he mentioned was that there'd likely be no change to the 2006 WorldPerks benefits. We always worry that our benefits will be taken away, well that's some reassurance.

Also, the Northwest folks are looking into reciprocal upgrades with Delta, but nothing much was said about it.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow 50k miles

who got that 50k miles?

I proposed 10k miles for 5 people to make more guys happy and Randy said it's a good idea.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
In fairness to Russ, there wasn't much he really could say - beyond the usual stay-out-of-trouble-with-the-SEC stuff, being in Chapter 11 brings a level of uncertainty that can render any assurance or "promise" meaningless on short/no notice.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:41 am

For anyone interested, the transcripts of the chat have now been posted here
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
For anyone interested, the transcripts of the chat have now been posted here
That link isn't working as far as I can tell.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:36 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
That link isn't working as far as I can tell.

peace,
~Ben~

Ben...your just to quick for those guys at Webflyer... it seems to be working now...
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Alitalia Confiscated iPod Club
Not working for me either
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Works now. Not a heck of a lot in it though. I was interested to see Russ address the elite-dilution issue without being prompted... he said he's confident Plats will still see 90% upgrade success domestically in 2006 despite the 2XEQM promo and various comp offers. (I suspect the unsaid part is that Golds and Silvers could see a lot less though.)

Last edited by BearX220; Oct 7, 2005 at 10:16 am
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:29 am

I found this interesting (in discussing if they monitor our forum):

In addition to being highly entertaining, we also learn where all the loop holes are in our promotions! You have helped us many times. thx
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:39 am

Another item:

"I prefer to continue to make private offers that reward customers for extra stretch and not introduce a permanent fourth tier program feature at this time. thx"

Does anybody know what might be a "private offer"??
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Loose Lips

Originally Posted by Live4Miles
I found this interesting (in discussing if they monitor our forum):

In addition to being highly entertaining, we also learn where all the loop holes are in our promotions! You have helped us many times. thx
At least he was honest about it.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Forget the rest of you I find this comment the most interesting:

---
mr exec
How does your system determine who gets upgraded on paid tickets when there are multiple travelers with the same elite status?

Russ Hinckley
We do look at a number of factors. First we sort by tier, then revenue, then LT value factors, then time of ticketing. I think it works very well and is the strongest benefit of our program. thx.
---
No one need ask anymore how EUA works. It's all right there

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.