Same day MR... questions...

Subscribe
STL - DFW - Detroit - DFW - STL
There is about a 2 hr wait in Detroit for my return flight back to STL. If for some reason I miss that return flight out of Detroit because of something that happened in DFW (bumped, mechanical, etc) would the airline consider it my fault or would I be protected on that?

(my 1st MR)
Almost all domestic tickets these days allow for same-day standby at no cost for an earlier or later flight. Most people don't standby for a later flight due to the obvious inherent risks. But you should have no problem getting back the same day if you arrive late for some reason.
If possible, say it's a bump or something you know at the counter, not late on the plane, ask they get you on a later flight before you leave. It's way easier, and you can step in front of the people who didn't think to do that.
Quote: STL - DFW - Detroit - DFW - STL
There is about a 2 hr wait in Detroit for my return flight back to STL. If for some reason I miss that return flight out of Detroit because of something that happened in DFW (bumped, mechanical, etc) would the airline consider it my fault or would I be protected on that?

(my 1st MR)
The worse case scenario would be you'd have to go back to STL on NW and NW and AA are in separate terminals about a mile apart --- I'd allow about an hour just to make the switch and go through security again.

Bob H
Bear with me on this long post - there is a point...

I did 5 AUS-DFW-SJC-ORD-DFW-AUS runs in a row a few weeks back, and on the 3rd or 4th one (it's a blur), My DFW-SJC flight was late getting in, which caused me to miss my SJC-ORD. The AC agent had already booked me on the next n/s back to Austin since, that is, of course where my final destination was. After explaining to her that I really needed to be in Chicago to meet with a business associate, she gave me a "uh-huh", and started clicking away at her computer, then told me to go ahead and have a seat and she'd work on it. Imagine my surprise when she brought me back boarding passes from SJC-LAX-SFO-DFW-AUS! I I gave her a dumbfounded look, and she said something along the lines of "I looked at your profile and it looks like you're trying to maximize your miles, so this was the best I could do".

I was shocked. Needless to say, there are some sAAvvy AAgents out there who know what we're up to and don't seem to mind helping.

I'd say if you miss your DTW connection, you'll be just fine. Just find a cooperative agent who isn't too harried or call your elite desk and they'll help you out...
Quote: Almost all domestic tickets these days allow for same-day standby at no cost for an earlier or later flight. Most people don't standby for a later flight due to the obvious inherent risks. But you should have no problem getting back the same day if you arrive late for some reason.
And then there are those that make you pay for it....

Delta & NW come to mind.
Quote:
I did 5 AUS-DFW-SJC-ORD-DFW-AUS runs in a row a few weeks back,
I have almost the same trip coming up in December: AUS-DFW-SJC-SAN-ORD-AUS.

Originally it was AUS-DFW-SJC-LAX-ORD-AUS, then AA changed their schedule and rebooked me direct from LAX to AUS. I called cust. service to rebook and get the ORD stop back. I explained what I was doing to the representative: she got upset with me and accused me of trying to "abuse the system." Suffice to say, I hung up on her.

Next day I made another call, got a new representative who not only rebooked me, but complimented me on putting together such a good MR!