Getting from SJD airport to Westin Los Cabos

Subscribe
Hi all,

Looking for advice on the best way to get from the SJD airport to the Westin Los Cabos. Taxi, hotel shuttle, airport shuttle, etc? Also, the approximate cost of each would help too.

Thanks!
consider a car rental
I dont have the exact numbers in front of me, but I have always found that the cost of roundtrip taxi/shuttle plus even a single trip into Cabo or San Jose is about the same as renting a car. Parking is free at the Sheraton, I believe the same at the Westin. We really liked having the car to get out, there are some nice restaurants in San Jose for dinner and it's nice to get out and grab coffee or breakfast at an authentic mexican joint. After eating all meals on premises our first stay, we now go out for dinner pretty much every night. Rental cars were very cheap too.
Yeah - I just went to orbitz and noticed that a rental car is as cheap as $9/day at Thrifty. I think I might go that route. Thanks!
Definately rent a car in Cabo. The drive to the airport is around 40 minutes. I believe it's about $40 each way. The Taxis are a total rip off down there. No meters either.
I agree. But it is not taxi driver's fault.
Taxi fare is set by government.

I rented a car and had no problem driving around.

Quote: Definately rent a car in Cabo. The drive to the airport is around 40 minutes. I believe it's about $40 each way. The Taxis are a total rip off down there. No meters either.
Not realizing how cheap car rentals were, we opted for the airport shuttle.

On the downside, we were pitched a timeshare offer by the guy who sold the tickets, had to wait for the shuttle to fill up with pax (about 15 minutes), and stopped at a few other hotels before we got to the Westin.

On the up side, it was cheaper than a taxi, and the Westin is on the east end of the hotel corridor which is closer to SJD so you would be among the first few stops.
I've heard some horror stories about car rental companies in Cabo trying to charge extra for insurance, and if you decide not to go with insurance, they put a charge of $4,000 on your credit card, only to deduct it if you bring the car back in the same condition.

Thrifty, Payless, and Dollar currently have the cheapest rates. Do you have a recommendation on which one to choose if I rent the car at the airport?
Quote: I've heard some horror stories about car rental companies in Cabo trying to charge extra for insurance, and if you decide not to go with insurance, they put a charge of $4,000 on your credit card, only to deduct it if you bring the car back in the same condition.

Thrifty, Payless, and Dollar currently have the cheapest rates. Do you have a recommendation on which one to choose if I rent the car at the airport?
I think we used Thrifty last time and if I recall they are right in the airport. The times before that we used Avis, about 5 mintues away but very easy to get a shuttle to. Avis was much more professional about me declining the coverage. I just firmly told them no, I had talked to my C/C company before we left. I dont think the Trifty people required a deposit, but they were harder to convince. I've only had to pay a deposit in Costa Rica and I didnt care as long as i got a car. The way I look at it, your c/c company will be behind you on this kind of thing. Ultimately they pay the bill if you decline the coverage.
does a usa license work in mexico or do you need to get an intl license?
Quote: does a usa license work in mexico or do you need to get an intl license?
A US license is fine. The international driving permit is not necessary in Mexico. This document is just a translation of your US license, so it's particularly good for countries that use a different alphabet.

It IS necessary to get Mexican insurance, though. The following is from the US Department of State's webpage of tips for travelers to Mexico:
"Mexican auto insurance is sold in most cities and towns on both sides of the border. U.S. automobile liability insurance is not valid in Mexico nor is most collision and comprehensive coverage issued by U.S. companies. Therefore, when you cross the border, purchase auto insurance adequate for your needs in Mexico. A good rule of thumb is to buy coverage equivalent to that which you carry in the United States."
I used Avis, they were pretty good. I had the upgraded AMEX coverage for collision, but got the added Mexican liability insurance from Avis.

Quote: I've heard some horror stories about car rental companies in Cabo trying to charge extra for insurance, and if you decide not to go with insurance, they put a charge of $4,000 on your credit card, only to deduct it if you bring the car back in the same condition.

I used transcabo for transfers to the airport. http://transcabo.com/nuevo/indextr.html
I was pretty pleased with it. I stayed at the resort pretty much the whole time relaxing....so this worked well for me. It's $26 r/t to the westin

I am not much for rental cars when I am on vacation but could see how it would be helpful at the westin as it is pretty isolated and taxis are high. If you plan at all to spend a lot of time off the resort or the group you're traveling with is big, the car rental is the way to go.
We have stayed twice at the Club Regina- the timeshare associated with the Westin, It is about half way between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas- we enjoyed eating and shopping more at San Jose- since is smaller and the traffic is less. The parking fees are free at the Westin- there is a valet parking - not sure of that charge at the hotel. - We use Avis- booked via internet- I wrote Avis and got written varification re the Mexican manditory insurance- I then contacted by credit card company what they would cover- we declined the extra insurance- we found out later they put a hold of $1400 on our credit card ( I am asuming incase we had an accident) - we drove it for a week with no problem.

The resort is outstanding- we have enjoyed it - hope you do too- Ruth
Quote: Hi all,

Looking for advice on the best way to get from the SJD airport to the Westin Los Cabos. Taxi, hotel shuttle, airport shuttle, etc? Also, the approximate cost of each would help too.

Thanks!
Any ideas to get to Sheraton Los Cabos
Quote: Hi all,

Thanks!
I am staying at the Sheraton Los Cabos this weekend. Car rental not an option so any ideas appreciated. I hear the cabs are very expensive.