Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Boots and glasses....

Boots and glasses....

Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Boots and glasses....

Would any kind Flyertalkers care to give recommendations for good suppliers of eyeglasses in Hong Kong (I have had a couple of sets before, which were "ok" but the optician was on Nathan Road and thus a little uncertain if I got tourist quality (grin)." My prescription is quite complex (they managed with out a problem) but obviously quality counts when you are dependent on your glasses during your waking hours.

Also... I would like to treat the wife to some custom made leather boots. Is there such an emporium that can be recommended who might be able to undertake the work in 10 days or less, and not require a fee equivalent to a substantial downpayment on an Airbus A380.

Thanks ... taking the wife for our "honeymoon" (even though we got married in June... and since I proopsed to her also in HK it seems just right ) ...

Last edited by m2uk; Aug 5, 2005 at 2:49 am Reason: Forgot to add "notify"
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:05 am

I have been buying eyeglasses from Raymond Chan at Tai Kwong Optical in Kowloon for years. The quality and service are superb, and the prices are about 50-75% of what I'd pay in the US. I much prefer doing business with Raymond than with one of the franchise shops like the Optical Shop.

Tai Kwong Optical is on the corner of Mody Road and Hart Ave, midway between the Holiday Inn and the Shangri-La. (The address is 31 Mody Road, though the entrance is actually on Hart Ave.) If you stop there, please tell Raymond that Mister Donald, the big fellow from the States, says hello -- that might get you a few dollars off.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
For custom boots, please go visit Mr. Mayer at Mayer Shoes in the shopping arcade at the Mandarin Oriental.

Guy Betsy introduced me to Mr. Mayer a few years ago and he has made (to date) four purses and several pairs of shoes for me. I plan on having a pair of boots done when I'm there in October. His work is fabulous - and you will pay a fraction of what custom shoes would cost in the states. (For a reference point - my average pair of heels - including shipping back to the US) runs me just under $200. If you aren't doing an exotic skin on the boots, I would estimate something in the $600-$800 range.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks both of you for those top suggestions that are now on the planned "visit list" when we hit town very shortly. I appreciate that.

Now, my Scottish roots are showing here, and I "dont like" the idea of paying for hotel laundry (and I am travelling on my own dime)... any recommendations for a reliable laundry where one can drop the stuff and fetch them, all neatly ironed and clean ("just like momma used to make" )? I am staying in Kowloon at the Plaza but wandering around generally with the good lady.

And looking at the weather forecast... stormy weather I hope there is no sudden tropical storm as there was in (?02) with TS York ... got some good pictures and ear ache from my mother about going out shooting the inclement weather when I made the mistake of phoning her to say "you might have heard about this storm... I am ok )
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:02 pm

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
...and I "dont like" the idea of paying for hotel laundry (and I am travelling on my own dime)... any recommendations for a reliable laundry where one can drop the stuff and fetch them, all neatly ironed and clean...
Not sure which Plaza (hotel) in Kowloon are you staying at? Perhaps one of these:

1. Royal Plaza Hotel at 193 Prince Edward Road West, Kowloon
2. Harbour Plaza Hotel at 20 Tak Fung Street, Hung Hom, Kowloon

Neither of them are located in prime tourist areas, but as you mentioned that you will be out and wandering around, with the good public transit system in HK, the location should not be too much of an issue. Somone might have mentioned to me previously that the Royal Plaza hotel is frequented by mainland Chinese tourists.

Previous FlyerTalker has recommended a laundry at the Chungking Mansion on Nathan road, located a copuple blocks from the Peninsula hotel. The laundry is on the ground floor of the ChungKing Mansion, to the right at the end of the central corridor. Chungking Mansion houses many lower class hotels, and you will find plenty of information on Google. I took my family there to experience the atmosphere, and felt reasonably safe doing so.

I have used the laundry several times here, and they even delivered to the Hong Kong Intercontinental hotel a couple times with a small tip. The prices are (as I recall) shirt-HK$15, pants-HK$20, ready in about 2-3 days, add HK$5 per piece for next day. They can also do laundry by the pound, perhaps with a 5 pound minimum?, for a few HK$ per pound.

You probably will not want to go this far from your hotel for laundry, but I have noticed a few drycleaner/laundry in the general area near Nathan road, and I imagine the prices are probably similar for the drycleaners closer to your hotel.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:27 pm

I remember seeing a laundromat in the TST MTR station. I don't know how good/bad it is.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks... I have heard about the Mansions generally but never knowingly seen it in all my visits I guess I led a sheltered life.

The hotel is the Harbour Plaza Kowloon Hotel (19*21 Nathan Road).

Cheers !
Old Aug 8, 2005, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by m2uk
The hotel is the Harbour Plaza Kowloon Hotel (19*21 Nathan Road).
I think you are either confused or got some wrong information. The hotel at 19-21 Nathan Road is the Kowloon Hotel. There is also a hotel called the Harbour Plaza hotel, but that is several km away in Hung Hom (not far from the old, semi-beloved Kai Tak airport). You would do extremely well to be sure which place you're staying at.

If it's the Kowloon, then Chungking Mansions is less than a block away. The laundry there, called Puritan Laundry, is fast an inexpensive (in by 9am, ready by 3pm), but don't expect shirts and pants to be pressed.

There is a laundry service with branches all over town and in many MTR stations (someone help me out with the name), and they will launder and press shirts, pants, and t-shirts for about 1/3 or 1/2 of hotel prices. 1-day service is available, but you'll pay extra.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Odd.. the hotel's own web site and an email gave the information. But I guess "Harbour Plaza" is the chain and then the specific Hotel name is "the kowloon hotel"... Hope one of my colleague's recommendations didn't turn to rats Thanks re the information ... Leaves more space in the bags for the good lady's shopping now

Best wishes!
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by wideman
If it's the Kowloon, then Chungking Mansions is less than a block away. The laundry there, called Puritan Laundry, is fast an inexpensive (in by 9am, ready by 3pm), but don't expect shirts and pants to be pressed.
wideman, the correct name is Purity Laundry, #25 Chungking Arcade, Ground Fl., 36-44 Nathan Rd, Ph 2366-8888. Since you're from Boston, you must be getting mixed up with the "puritans" from your area's colonial heritage.

m2uk, be sure to pay in advance. You'll get a 10% discount.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by m2uk
Odd.. the hotel's own web site and an email gave the information. But I guess "Harbour Plaza" is the chain and then the specific Hotel name is "the kowloon hotel"... Hope one of my colleague's recommendations didn't turn to rats Thanks re the information ... Leaves more space in the bags for the good lady's shopping now

Best wishes!
The Kowloon Hotel used to be run by the Peninsula group (they are the ones that built it) and have many Peninsula-like touches in the room (light-switches by the bed, that kind of stuff). The rooms are tiny though.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:47 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wideman
There is a laundry service with branches all over town and in many MTR stations (someone help me out with the name), and they will launder and press shirts, pants, and t-shirts for about 1/3 or 1/2 of hotel prices. 1-day service is available, but you'll pay extra.
cleanliving.com.hk

I've used the one in Queensway Plaza and service is great. Open on Sunday as well.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
cleanliving.com.hk

I've used the one in Queensway Plaza and service is great. Open on Sunday as well.
Yep, that's the one! I've also used the Queensway Plaza outlet -- it's ideal for those staying at any of the Pacific Place hotels.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks.. I am back now... After nearly 10 visits to HK I have never seen Chung Kung Mansions before (and knew what it was IYSWIM) even though I have been in there a few times .) The optician and boots recommendation was very good also ! Thank You !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.