Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude to put feet on bulkhead wall?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Rude to put feet on bulkhead wall?

So is it rude to put one's feet on the bulkhead wall? Does it make a difference whether one's shoes are on or off? Does it matter if the wall is carpeted or not?

I ask in part because I had my feet on the bulkhead wall of a UX Shuttle America 340 several months ago and was told by the FA that she was going to have to "wash [the plane's] walls" as a result of my feet being up there. I didn't want to argue, so I took my feet down, but I thought it was a bit picky (especially given how run-down the plane was already).
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just don't see the point - after a while, blood rushes to your rear end and your legs fall asleep.

I don't think it's rude, but since people's feet sometimes stinks, it may cause some odor issues for your seatmate and surroundings. Furthermore, it's the main reason why some bulkheads are torn and worn out.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Off to TravelBuzz!....I think this has been discussed there before too.

I find it rather distasteful.

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
It is rude to put your feet on any wall, back of seat, etc. whether or not you have shoes on.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:04 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
"wash [the plane's] walls"
Sounds like she was just being a tarn hag.

I didn't know this was among FAs duties. Or perhaps a rhetorical way of asking you to remove your feet.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Off to TravelBuzz!....I think this has been discussed there before too..
Many times. So now here is another

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:22 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Many times. So now here is another

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Don't they ever learn?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't think it's rude, provided you soak your feet in a tub of Drakkar immediately prior to doing it.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Not rude, but not polite either.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I always wonder "do they put their feet on the wall at home?"

I think it's tacky and especially tastless when bare feet are applied to the bulkhead. Sadly, I've seen it many times, including from ladies in business suits. Hard to refer to them as ladies in this context, but my momma brought me up right.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I always wonder "do they put their feet on the wall at home?"

I think it's tacky and especially tastless when bare feet are applied to the bulkhead. Sadly, I've seen it many times, including from ladies in business suits. Hard to refer to them as ladies in this context, but my momma brought me up right.
If my home featured seats bolted to the floor close to the wall (a carpet covered wall, no less) and I ordered you to remain seated in them for up to hours at a time (like when the seatbelt light stays on forever, as it sometimes does), then I would forgive you if you elevated your feet and stretched your legs by placing them on my carpeted walls.

If bulkheads were not meant for placing feet upon them, then why are they generally covered in carpet?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
If they just gave us all footrests, this wouldn't be a problem!
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Wouldn't it be nice if we could all resist elevating our feet up and placing them on the bulkhead wall? However, after minutes, or hours of sitting on a plane, stretching the leg, thus placing them on the bulkhead wall if you're sitting on those rows, becomes almost like a reflex. That automatic impulse to stretch your leg and allow a better blood circulation is very hard to resist.

Last edited by jef7; Jul 19, 2005 at 9:48 pm
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Airlines post notices and warning for everything (e.g., "Fasten your seat belts while seated," "Do not sit (against the exit door)," etc.), so if they had a problem with feet on the bulkhead, I would guess they would put a notice there to.

I don't personally put my feet up on the walls of my room... but I do on my couch, empty dining room chair, etc. Still don't know why it's looked down upon.... yes there's a time and a place for everything... but the plane isn't exactly the most formal of environments.

I'd like to know how far everyone is from San Diego (the epicenter of "mellow").
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:40 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
I will stop putting my feet on the wall if they supply me with a nice leather ottoman like I have at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.