Alamo.com "Check-In Now" Option

Subscribe
Just noticed this "enhancement" at alamo.com. Seems that you can check-in online, pay with your credit card, then just pick your car when you get there. Interesting approach. Especially since Alamo charges your CC upfront when you arrive at the counter anyway. Doubt that I would use it, since plans always can change enroute.

--------------------------------------------------
You can now take advantage of Alamo Online Check-In. It's fast, easy and best of all, convenient! By answering a few simple questions now, you can save valuable time later. You will be able to bypass the rental counter, go straight to the car you reserved and be on your way! Just show your Online Check-In documents along with your driver's license and credit cards to the agent at the Exit Booth on your way out.

To qualify for Online Check-In, you must:

Meet minimum rental age requirements.
Have a clean driving record.
Have a valid U.S. or Canadian driver's license.
Provide a valid major credit card.

NOTE: No additional driver is allowed with Online Check-In except in the participating locations within the following states: California, Illinois, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon and Wisconsin.
------------------------------------------
Terms and Conditions
Online Check-In is available at alamo.com only and must be paid with a major credit card. Renter must choose from cars on lot in car category reserved. Renter must meet standard age, driver and credit requirements. Online Check-In is available at participating U.S. Alamo locations only. Advance reservations required. Other restrictions apply
------------------------------------------
Cities with Online Check-In Service

Albuquerque, NM
Atlanta, GA
Burbank, CA
Charlotte, NC
Chicago Midway, IL
Chicago O'Hare, IL
Cincinnati, OH
Cleveland, OH
Dallas Love Field, TX
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
Detroit, MI
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Ft. Myers, FL
Hartford, CT
Indianapolis, IN
Kansas City, MO
Las Vegas, NV
Little Rock, AR
Los Angeles, CA
Manchester, NH
Memphis, TN
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
New Orleans, LA
Ontario, CA
Orlando, FL
Philadelphia, PA
Phoenix, AZ
Portland, OR
San Francisco, CA
San Jose, CA
St. Louis, MO
Tampa, FL
Washington Dulles, DC
West Palm Beach, FL
Has anybody tried the new online check-in? If I understand the details correctly, it sounds like online check-in operates sort of like National's Emerald Aisle or Buget's Fastbreak in that once you get to the lot, you pick out any car you like from your class and you are on your way without stopping at the counter. Is this correct?
On-line + 10% pre pay
I got the email today about on-line check-in, but the email also mentioned a 10% discount for on-line pre-pay. I did not see that mentioned here recently, so here's the link. (apology if I missed another thread)

http://tinyurl.com/cuy63
At some of the locations that tend to be busy, this sounds like a service I'd be glad to try out. Especially those weekend Las Vegas arrivals that tend to fill up the counter on a regular basis!
Oh why, oh why doesn't Kahalui, Maui offer this?
Quote: Oh why, oh why doesn't Kahalui, Maui offer this?
Kahalui is not what National refers to as a "secure" location. If the location is able to leave the keys in the vehicle and process you at an exit booth, then they can offer this service.

I was able to use this service in Manchester, NH over the weekend. I cannot believe how smooth it went.
This is simply the beginning of Alamo's new no-show penalty policy.
Run,don't walk, away from a rental company that charges you for not showing.Might as well go with Priceline.
Penalty only if you prepay?
Quote: This is simply the beginning of Alamo's new no-show penalty policy.
Run,don't walk, away from a rental company that charges you for not showing.Might as well go with Priceline.
As I understand it, they only charge you a no show penalty if you pre-pay. If you do not pre-pay, you will not be charged a penalty for canceling or not picking up the car.
Can I upay for an Alamo rental with a different card than the one I used to to originate the rental?
I can use most of the airports listed so 'll have to give this a try.
There are some restrictions that you may want to check out on the website. If the reservation is over 30 days old, if you are using a coupon code (such as one in the entertainment book ), if you are using a business account number, have an additional driver, and a few other restrictions, you cannot use online check in. I really hate this. I am going to vegas in December and I got really excited when I saw this. The line is almost always long there! Ugh! I always use a coupon code out of the entertainment book. It is definitely worth it.