Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Arrow Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Normally a Platinum suite upgrade is something I enjoy but don't count on. I'll be at the Sheraton Grand in Edinburgh in a couple of weeks and, for a number of reasons, want to have a suite for this particular stay. I'm trying to determine upgrade liklihood based upon recent experience of other Platinum members so I can decide if I want to pay or burn points to guarantee it. If other's experiences are good, I'll take the risk, as my "hit ratio" is very good on Plat suite upgrades (knock on wood).

If you are a Platinum member and have stayed at this hotel in the past year, what insights can you provide on your experience?
Did you get upgraded & to what?
Any other advice or insight?

Thank you!

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 29, 2007 at 8:41 am Reason: post merge clean up
Old Mar 17, 2003, 2:00 pm

I stayed in the hotel in december and got a small suite with a view of the castle (Lomond suite I think it was).

Didn't ask for an upgrade, it was all ready and waiting. Platinum amenity is a full bottle of red wine.

Lounge access should be available to you as well. It's only open for an hour in the morning, couple of hours at night. It's basically two rooms knocked together with a TV, nibbles, drinks, newspapers. Staff were great.

Don't forget to try out the 'one' spa as well. Can't beat an early morning soak in the hydropool....it's outside on the roof, very strange in the middle of a scottish winter!

If you've got any specific questions let me know.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 3:27 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I was there for a night in March a year or two ago and was upgraded to the Elgin Suite on the 3rd floor. Very nice. Didn't have to ask. Red Wine was promptly delivered after check-in. This hotel really seems to have it's SPG ducks in a row.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 2:15 pm

Stayed using points in April last year. As a platinum was upgraded to "Grand" room. Not very big but good view of castle & Usher Hall. Told that all the suites were set up with dining rooms for business purposes!!!???!!!
No. 1 Spa is absolutely tremendous. You have to pay additional to access all facilities but it was worth it (waived for platinum)! Superb place to really relax!

As an amenity they sent up a half bottle of champagne and some chocolates.

I would go back in a minute.......not for the rooms or the service but for the cold drizzle eucalyptus shower after 30 mins in the outside roof level bubble pool!

Old Oct 3, 2003, 4:01 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Sheraton Edinburgh--any recent stays?

Used 25% discount SPG points for stay. Enter from Festival Square on level two. Reception on level one. Was early and my room had been upgraded to a suite. The suite was not facing the castle so took a room which was available immediately on level 3. Not offered Club access but asked and was granted. The room was a good size and called Grand Room. Facing Castle with good view. Bathroom renovated. Rest of room was standard. The rooms do not have high speed access. You can use Business Center put it is pricey. Was told they have WiFi. As P given full bottle of French Merlot.

The Club only has two presentations per day. A very limited continental breakfest from 7-9 AM and a very limited evening presentation from 5-7 PM. Neither is worth changing your schedule for. A couple walked in and turned around after seeing the limited spread.

The One Club itself looked Grand. The WSJ delivered today was yesterdays edition. A nice Hotel but nothing exceptional. My non-smoke room smelled of smoke.

Getting there. From EDI take the Airlink bus. Return ticket open 5 GBP. One way 3.30 GBP. Stay downstairs in the Bus to listen for stops. You want to exit at West End stop. The last stop before the bus terminates. Cross the street and walk towards the Hilton on Lothian Street. Keep walking until you reach the Clydesdale Bank Plaza. A short distance later on right you will be Sheraton. Catch the return shuttle on Princes Street towards airport.

Edinburgh was a wonderful City well worth seeing. IMHO Regards

[This message has been edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE (edited 10-03-2003).]
Old Oct 3, 2003, 7:07 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I love Edinburgh and I'm planning to spend a weekend next April.

Q: Have you been to the Spa? I heard it's the best in the city. Is there an entrance fee for guests or it's free. And in case there is a fee, is it waived for Platinum members.
Old Oct 4, 2003, 4:56 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I believe waived for Ps.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:01 pm

Sheraton Edinburgh

I had two rooms there as a platinum on June 4, 2005. Upgraded to an executive room with a small sitting area/ small couch/ no view.

Rooms are very nice and quiet. The lounge was not open as this was a Saturday.

The service was good. The restaurants are attractive but we did not eat there...incredibly expensive with Sunday Brunch going for 21.5 GBP (about $37) per adult.

This is well located for the tourist sites although it is a long walk up the hill to the castle if it is raining.

This can be reached by airport bus from the West End stop...about 1.5 blocks south. The neighborhood has a few rowdy bars but appears reasonably safe for night time walking.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:55 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We also had two rooms last year, in July for fifth night free, at the old 28000 point rate which was a great bargain. We had used extra points for castle view and that's what we got. Both rooms were kings with sofas and tables. Lounge was open daily for light continental breakfast and evening drinks and some canapes, chips and such. The guys went to the gym which they said was wonderful. We got takeout pizza one night from their restaurant and ate lunch when we arrived in the lobby bar. Pizza was fine; lobby bar was unbelievably slow so we went elsewhere after that.

The interior is beautiful (outside like an office block) but there were some service issues, the worst being a situation with our dry cleaning. Their vendor decided to wash things we specified dry clean because the label said "hand wash." Of course they weren't dry to get back when we needed them and my expensive pants were basically shrunk by a size. I've been afraid to give cleaning to hotels ever since and just take it down the street myself which is faster and cheaper anyway.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've also stayed there a few months ago.

Booked a cheap room for a w/e break as a Platinum was u/g to a junior suite. No view though, but had nice lounge, bedroom and bathroom.

Overall it's a nice hotel, food very expensive, but very central in Edinbugh to most places. The spa and fitness centre is excellent with a lovely outdoor hot tub to sit in (shame that there is no view here either!) but expensive to get in for the day.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by latitude
I've also stayed there a few months ago.

Booked a cheap room for a w/e break as a Platinum was u/g to a junior suite. No view though, but had nice lounge, bedroom and bathroom.

Overall it's a nice hotel, food very expensive, but very central in Edinbugh to most places. The spa and fitness centre is excellent with a lovely outdoor hot tub to sit in (shame that there is no view here either!) but expensive to get in for the day.

Did u have to pay to use the Spa as a Plat ???
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:22 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Just got back from the Sheraton Edinburgh on Tuesday. Spent 3 days there. The hotel is well maintained and has 3 restaurants. I am gold and paid for an exec room using an SPG 50. I was upgraded to a Grand room, had the wife and 2 children in tow, and was treated very well. On Saturday made use of the babysitting service 6 per hour, and used the spa. Full use costs 64 for non members but for hotel guests it is 20. Then went for a meal at Santini's located under the spa. The restaurant has won a few awards. It is Italian cuisine and was very good. On the other days we ate at the terraces, which is an upmarket buffet style. Again the food was good, with the added bonus of children under 5 eating free.
The hotel is in Lothian road and 5 minutes walk to the town centre. If you dont wish to get a taxi, the Shuttle bus costs 6 return from the airport. It takes around 20 minutes to get to Hilton Caledonian which is the stop you need to get off in Princes street. It is then about a 3 minute walk to the sheraton which is basically behind the Hilton. Did not check out the lounge as kids were with me. Hope this helps and have a good stay.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jchand
Did u have to pay to use the Spa as a Plat ???
Yes, guests had a reduced rate of 20 per day per person to get in, it's nice, but nothing special. Basically your 20 gets you into the pools (you can get into one free as a guest and have free use of the gym) , hot tub, sauna etc, but any treatments are chargeable.

They also provide Platinum amenities here, no points, but I had a nice bottle of wine
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by latitude
Yes, guests had a reduced rate of 20 per day per person to get in, it's nice, but nothing special. Basically your 20 gets you into the pools (you can get into one free as a guest and have free use of the gym) , hot tub, sauna etc, but any treatments are chargeable.

They also provide Platinum amenities here, no points, but I had a nice bottle of wine

Dont understand that. As a Plat never had to pay to gain access / use a Spa ( sauna , pools etc) at any * wood hotel. Just had to pay for treatments. Have I just been Lucky ??
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:36 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by jchand
Dont understand that. As a Plat never had to pay to gain access / use a Spa ( sauna , pools etc) at any * wood hotel. Just had to pay for treatments. Have I just been Lucky ??
Maybe. You probably have not encountered a spa that is independently run instead of one run by the hotel. It can happen, but it is pretty rare. Usually use of the pool does not factor into the equation, but I have seen Platinum members asked to pay a fee to enter the spa on occasion.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.