Wiki Posts
Search

Getting off the plane before final destination

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinium, Delta, Qantas, Lan

My plane makes a stop before reaching its final destination. I have a ticket to the final destination but I would like to get off the plane at the stop.

My problem is with my luggage, since it will be labeled to be delivered to the final destination. I don´t know if during ckeck in, they will agree to label it to the stop where I want to leave the plane. ¿Has anyone experienced a similar situation with AA?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
They won't do that on purpose. It's against airline policy. My dad did have his bag mis-tagged on a connection once, and it got dropped at his connecting point, but this is a rarity I think.

The airlines want you to pay full price for the fare you're flying. The only reason anyone can think of doing this practice if if they save a lot of money by getting off early. And they want to make money.

If you're going to do this, you should not check bags. And you may have trouble getting miles since the airlines do frown on this activity.

I've done it once. The one way fare from a-c was cheaper than a-b with b being a hub city. I didn't earn miles because it's the only time I ever flew this airline. I also didn't check any bags.

Last edited by chicaloca453; Jun 3, 2005 at 5:10 pm
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If you want to bail out early, don't check bags.

AA and most other airlines will not "short check" bags unless you've got a legitimate stopover in your itinerary.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Trotamundo
I don´t know if during ckeck in, they will agree to label it to the stop where I want to leave the plane.
zero chance of that happening, UNLESS you are scheduled for a long enough layover at the stop, or the last arrival at night connecting to the first departure next morning. in that case it happens automatically, no need to ask.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:04 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Trotamundo
Make sure you have a parachute
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unhappy No way, José

The airlines view what you are proposing as the "hidden city" ploy, and it is prohibited by airline policy. Not only will they not shortcheck your bag, they will probably give you a lecture. Your only hope is to ship your bag(s) separately, e.g. using a courier or bagage forwarding service, or use carryon luggage only.

See AA's "Conditions of Carriage", which state in part: (red lettering emphasis mine.)

TICKET VALIDITY - COMPLIANCE WITH TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE

Tickets are valid for travel only when used in accordance with all terms and conditions of sale. Terms and conditions of sale include but are not limited to:

The passenger's itinerary, as stated on the ticket or in the passenger's reservation record,
Any requirement that the passenger stay over a specified date or length of time (for example, Saturday night or weekend) at the destination specified on the ticket.
Any special purpose or status (for example, age in the case of senior citizen or children's discounts, military status in the case of a military fare, official government business in the case of a government fare, or attendance at a qualified event in the case of a meeting or convention fare) that entitles the passenger to a special or reduced rate, or
Any other requirement associated with the passenger's fare level.
Unless a ticket is reissued by American or its authorized agent upon payment of applicable charges, or an authorized representative of American waives applicable restrictions in writing, a ticket is invalid:

If used for travel to a destination other than that specified on the ticket,
If the passenger fails to comply with applicable stay-over requirements,
If the passenger does not meet the purpose or status requirement associated with the fare category on the ticket, or
If American determines that the ticket has been purchased or used in a manner designed to circumvent applicable fare rules.
American specifically prohibits the practices commonly known as:

Back to Back Ticketing: The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.

Throwaway Ticketing: The usage of roundtrip excursion fare for one-way travel, and

Hidden City/Point Beyond Ticketing: Purchase of a fare from a point before the passenger's actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:

Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary,
Confiscate unused flight coupons,
Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's luggage, or
Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:33 pm

Programs: WN RR
Is this a round trip and/or an outbound flight? When I used to work for CO years ago, those who skip their connecting city would suffer because the rest of their flights would be canceled. If this is a one way or a return flight, then I don't think it would be a big deal. I agree with the others: Don't check your bags.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:50 pm

I notice that the OP is from outside the US. You will have to pick up your bags at the first stop within the US to clear customs. At that point, if you wanted to walk away, you generally could do so, subject to the caveat that any remaining flights on your reservation will probably be cancelled.

There are a few airports where this is more difficult than usual because you have to walk through the secure terminal area to get to the exit, and therefore all bags have to be rechecked. Local passsengers have to go through the baggage claim routine again at the domestic claim area. However, I don't think that any of AA's hubs are in this category--please correct me if I'm wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.