Wiki Posts
Search

Using type B vouchers and upgrades to BKK

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2005, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA; DL;
Using type B vouchers and upgrades to BKK

I have $800 in UA travel vouchers (type B) that I have to use by the end of the year or I lose them. I am planning a month-long trip in Nov to Thailand to get the most bang for my buck as well as miles as I'm a little behind this year. I want to do the JFK-NRT-BKK route with the upgrade on the JFK-NRT segment. According to UA.com there is upgrade availability when I do a search.

My question is, I would like to use the $800 towards a Y/B class ticket and then use miles to upgrade to Biz. Does anyone know if they will do this? According to UA.com I'm looking at $1700 for the Y/B class ticket WITH the vouchers ($1250 for cattle class). Am I better off getting this ticket now or wait until closer to my departure dates to see if unsold seats open up? Anyone have a better suggestion for the upgrade?
Old May 29, 2005, 6:00 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Your $800 in UA travel vouchers (type B) is like cash. So I would buy the ticket now. If the airfare comes down, you can always get a travel voucher for the difference in airfare.

You can buy H class or higher to upgrade with your miles, JFK/NRT/BKK, not just JFK/NRT. That is confirmable at time of ticketing, if NC is available. If NC is not available, then you will be placed on the waitlist. Since you are a 2P, your chance may not be as good as 1P, 1K & UGS.

As to other suggestions, check this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=47445
Old May 29, 2005, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA; DL;
Thanks for the quick reply. I know as a 2P my chances for upgrade isn't as good but I'm choosing my flight dates with ITA since when I fly on 'cheapest' days then tend to be less full. And since I fly solo (and have a big smile) I tend to get upgraded 90% of the time. That's what I tell myself anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.