How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Subscribe
Can anyone tell me of the Hilton Honors points ever expire, and if so do you know the time limits?
Thanks
They do not, but you do have to have activity in your account (quarterly profile update, Hilton affiliated credit card transfer, mileage transfer, partner activity, or even a stay) over the course of a year.
Some advice. Don't let them sit there forever. I find miles and points seem to get "degraded" over time, the rules change, the point/mile requirements go up ad nauseum.

A friend of mine has a mountain of NW miles and I tell him to use them. I am assuming you have a ton of Hilton points??
Don't take too long to use them up.
Think September 11th...

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
HH GLD, SCI GLD, MM SIL
LE PRESIDENT ETERNEL DE CAMAIR-CAMEROUN AIRLINES
Think September 11th? We're trying to encourage her to use her points, right? Not scare her out of her mind...

Nick.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Worldtraveler36:

Think September 11th...

</font>

And September 11 has exactly what to do with hotel points?

I say let them accumulate until you have enough to get something decent with them, like the trip to anyplace with airfare, etc.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lyndihop:
Can anyone tell me of the Hilton Honors points ever expire, and if so do you know the time limits?
Thanks
</font>
Welcome to Flyertalk. Nice to see another FTer from The Land of Opportunity!

The following is taken from hhonors.com
http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/terms.jhtml#general

12. Any Member who has not earned points for six consecutive months may be removed from the mailing list of active Members. A
Member may reactivate his or her account by accumulating points or by other such means that Hilton may establish.

13. Any Member who has not earned points for 12 consecutive months may be removed from the Program and, if so, is
subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. When the Member is removed from the Program, a voucher for all accumulated
points will be issued to the Member, via mail to the Member's mailing address on file. The Member will have 90 days from the date
the voucher is issued to take one of the following actions:

a.stay at a participating HHonors hotel, thus reactivating membership; or
b.earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation; or
c.send in the voucher to the HHonors Customer Service Center with a check or money order for US$10, which will keep
his or her account open for an additional 12-month period; or
d.request any Reward for which the Member is eligible; account will then be closed at end of the 90-day period.

Failure to take action (a), (b), (c) or (d) described above within the prescribed 90-day period will result in the closure of the
Member's account and the forfeiture of all accumulated points.

If I recall correctly, from what I've read here previously, Hilton usually will send a letter advising the member of account inactivity so they have an opportunity to add points to the account and avoid invoking rule 13. As posted above, updating your hhonors profile each quarter will earn 1,000 (maybe 2,000 points) and keep your account active.
Just do the free "profile update for 1,000 points" each quarter... and then this issue is moot!

William
Beano likes this.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickyD:
Think September 11th? We're trying to encourage her to use her points, right? Not scare her out of her mind...

Nick.
</font>
&gt;&gt;&gt; I am sorry, not the intention. Anyway...

For me, myself, and I , I transfer Hilton points to AA to up my total lifetime AA miles, gave me 1 million mile status and hence lifetime Gold...

I think I just posted something like this on the Hilton board...

How To Keep Hilton HHonors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread
i know this was answered already but according to my statement that I receive i must have at least 1 stay per yr to keep my pts. By using a credit card or doing online profile does not count. am I correct? if so I better book a cheap one night before the end of this yr.

thanks jackie
HH points don't expire..at least for now (with all the changes)..You won't have a problem.

------------------
MRKEY
Points don't expire but HHonors may close your account with 12-month of inactivity. Just update your profile once in a while to earn some points to keep your account active.
Your points won't expire even though HH tells you they will. Last year I didn't travel much and didn't stay at any HH properties for about 15 months. My statement said my points would expire but they never did. Nor did they deactivate my account.

If they can con you into thinking your points will expire, that's more revenue for them since you are likely to run out and stay at one of their proerties.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dvcer:
By using a credit card or doing online profile does not count.</font>
That's incorrect.
I am Gold, but due to a change in my situation, I'll no longer travel for my work and receive new HH points on my account.
Nevertheless I would like to keep alive my current HH pts as long as possible. How to extend their lifetime (500 HH pts for profile update does not work).
I think two possibilities :
1/ on an award stay, paying only for the breakfast gives me some HH points : is it enough to extend the lifetime ?
2/ same question if I transfer some miles from an airline FFP to the HH account ?
bousquet, either of your method should work provided that you repeat them once every 12 months.

An easier way is to apply for either the free HH Visa or AmEx card. All you need to do is to use their credit card once a year and earn some points.