Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Old May 26, 2007, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, UA1K, SPG PLAT

Hi:

Just in Madrid two weeks ago on pleasure. I am a Gold member. Location was fantastic, you can;t beat it. Close to everything.

Entrance was a little understated. The guy was very nice at check in. I was travelling on the buy 3 get 1 free promo, so it worked out to about 300 euros a night. Was upgraded on check in to a Junior Suite which was a very nice and pleasant surprise.

The room was very nice. Size was fantastic especially for the price I paid. Two bathrooms, walk in closet, sitting room with Bang and Olufsen. Service was great, everyone very friendly. Rate included breakfast buffet which was good. definately wouldn't pay $35 for it but otherwise adequate.

Concierge was spotty, only one person seemed happy to help me and picked a few good places to eat. Overall very satisfied with the property and the service. Everything was a breeze.

Just thought I would put in my 2 cents in. If anyone has any more questions I would be happy to answer them. This is my first stay report the next one will be better

P.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 23, 2009 at 10:15 am Reason: Earlier reports at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/702175-westin-palace-madrid-spain-pre-2007-master-
Old May 27, 2007, 1:53 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
Upgrades seem to be hit or miss at this property. As a Plat last year I received no upgrade although they did let me look at 3 rooms before I decided on the one they had originally allocated me, which was the lowest category as far as I could tell.

Nevertheless, this is a great property with excellent beds, pillows, linens, and housekeeping.
Old May 27, 2007, 9:17 pm

This is one of Starwoods best European hotel in my opinion. The location is great and the staff are very friendly. Breakfast in the restaurant under the glass dome is very, very nice. I'm 2/2 for suite upgrades here ^
Old May 28, 2007, 12:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by speedbird9
Hi:Concierge was spotty, only one person seemed happy to help me and picked a few good places to eat. Overall very satisfied with the property and the service. Everything was a breeze.
Care to share the dining suggestions? I'll be there in a couple of weeks and need a good place for dinner that's close by. Thanks.
Old May 28, 2007, 8:03 am
pdb

Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Care to share the dining suggestions? I'll be there in a couple of weeks and need a good place for dinner that's close by. Thanks.
This might not fulfill your criteria, but there's a really good tapas bar, just down the street: Taberna Las Dolores, Plaza de Jesús 4, T 91 429 22 43. If you're not in the mood to wait until 9pm+ to have dinner, it's a great option. Very informal, of course.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I stayed 6 nights on points last week. Very satisfied in general; I'll just focus on downsides here. They couldn't find a room on SPG floor, but offered breakfast on SPG floor, which turned out to be just cafes/teas and apples - very continental. (No club lounge?) I notice amenities are different on SPG floor (Molton Brown, instead of Westin brands); too bad since I'm a huge fan of Molton Brown. Walls seemed thin to me. The biggest letdown was check-in and check-out: horrendously slow.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Please note: Click here to view The Westin Palace, Madrid Master Thread 1 of 2, for posts prior to 2005.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
Plat benefit

Since there's no lounge, do they offer a breakfast voucher for Plats? Otherwise, I need book bfast pkg.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:46 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYCWahoo
Since there's no lounge, do they offer a breakfast voucher for Plats? Otherwise, I need book bfast pkg.
Not when I was there in December. I'd book the Breakfast Package if I were you.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 7:20 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
The last time I was there I used the SPG 50 rate. It was slightly less than the rates on spg.com and included breakfast for two. The logic behind this was that SPG 50 is based on the rack rate, and the rack rate includes breakfast.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:03 pm

I booked two rooms last July on points, since we had 3 people per room I paid 59 euro per room to upgrade our rooms to junior suites, (did this before leaving home) no additional upgrade was available at check in, no breakfast offered for plat, had to call downstairs and remind them about plat amenity, but was able to check into the rooms around 11:00 a.m and after a long flight from California that was wonderful, really can't beat the location and it's a beautiful hotel.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:38 pm

What's the difference between a deluxe room and a premium deluxe room? From the web site, it appears to be more sound-proofing. If so, are deluxe room noisy?

Do you think I have a reasonable chance at an upgrade as a preferred plus (gold-lite)?

We're planning to go in November, btw.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:49 am

Stayed there with my family for 4 nights 4 weeks ago, I booked 3 rooms as platinum one room was upgraded to executive suite with connected room to it and a nice (upgraded) room nearby.

Every thing was fantastic in this hotel, super very friendly staff and excellent location.

For the plat amenity I marked the 500 points option. 2 small fruit plats with a welcome note was place on the dining table. We very much enjoyed the breakfast every morning. We had dinner at the Asian restaurant, the food and service was very good and surprisingly it was reasonably priced

I will definitely stay there again.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:25 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by stc
Not when I was there in December. I'd book the Breakfast Package if I were you.
I stayed in October or November 06 on a SPG 3 for 2 deal and unexpectedly either the deal (not ever before the case on a 3 for 2 elsewhere) or my Plat status included breakfast.

It would be a shame if that was not the case, because the breakfast room is probably one of the grandest in Europe.

Had a great stay, with a great upgrade to a large suite with a view - I had been ready for much less after reading previous reviews and past experience of attitude before service at lesser Madrid hotels.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 5:17 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Hotel is currently under renovation and extremely noisy - any floor but the worse are the upper floors

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.