Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Results of Business Strategy Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2005, 7:19 am
Original Poster

There's a post over on airliners.net from someone claiming to be bmi senior cabin crew, which gives some details of the review.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/2125779/

Main points:

- No more short haul business class (except LHR to EDI, GLA, BHD and BRU)
- Pay for drinks and food in economy
- Baby will sell seats on mainline (not sure if it will work the other way too)
- Diamond Club, lounges and Star Alliance membership remain
- Minimum crewing and an easyJet style "tidy-up" before landing, rather than cleaners
- 3 new long haul aircraft over 3 years to support long haul growth from LHR.
Still a few questions remain - not sure if any routes/bases are being swapped between mainline and baby. No word on long haul development or cut backs at MAN.

Any bmi insiders know any more?

Last edited by StarAllianceGold; May 22, 2005 at 7:21 am Reason: to tidy up formatting
Old May 22, 2005, 9:58 am

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
Originally Posted by StarAllianceGold
There's a post over on airliners.net from someone claiming to be bmi senior cabin crew, which gives some details of the review.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/2125779/

Main points:

- No more short haul business class (except LHR to EDI, GLA, BHD and BRU)
- Pay for drinks and food in economy
- Baby will sell seats on mainline (not sure if it will work the other way too)
- Diamond Club, lounges and Star Alliance membership remain
- Minimum crewing and an easyJet style "tidy-up" before landing, rather than cleaners
- 3 new long haul aircraft over 3 years to support long haul growth from LHR.
Still a few questions remain - not sure if any routes/bases are being swapped between mainline and baby. No word on long haul development or cut backs at MAN.

Any bmi insiders know any more?
but the changes apparently won't affect regional!?!
Old May 22, 2005, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
So it'll be easyjet with frequent flyer miles unless they go too I can understand no free food, but at least give us a free cuppa.

Wonder how this will play with the *A. don't they have offer some sort of premium cabin for those connecting from say UA to BD at LHR with business/first tickets?

Not to mention what will happen to MAN long haul.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like BD is trying to imitate parts of AC...
Old May 22, 2005, 11:29 am

The Gold Upgrade certs aren't going to be much of a perk any more...
Old May 22, 2005, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Blue
Well I think this is a terrible move that will alienate BD's most loyal customers, although it won't make any impact on the bucket & spadders. I'm not that bothered about pay food & drink in Y, but no C class is too much

My business travel will now all go to BA, which will mean that they will also get more of my leisure travel too.

I am also confused about how this will fit in with their longhaul strategy.
Old May 22, 2005, 11:52 am

Oh dear.

So in what respects will BMI be different from bmibaby after the changes?
Old May 22, 2005, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by The Saint
Oh dear.

So in what respects will BMI be different from bmibaby after the changes?
Just the possession of long-haul routes, I guess. Which is also probably about the only things that will keep bmi from being demoted to regional member status in *A.

I agree with you, though: .
Old May 22, 2005, 3:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
So what happens to all that early morning business class money? Am I to expect that, as a domestic LCC, I'll be able to get LBA-LHR for Ł9.99 plus taxes instead of the current Ł55? What about the C class folks who fork out Ł136 plus taxes? If BD remove business class and the perks such as separate cabin, higher quality food, wider seats etc., then they'd presumably lower their C class prices accordingly. Or, might they take on a flybe approach where you can get an 'Economy Plus' ticket at Ł270ish which, although sitting in a Y environment, you get a snack and lounge voucher?

As for it not affecting regional, I suspect that's true given that I have never yet seen anyone on the LBA-EDI flight carrying a bucket and spade. Regional passengers are nearly all company paid very profitable pax. The sort who you cannot afford to lose to GNER's 1st Class product, which isn't bad.

Finally, given the Europe wide mileage thievery problem, we all earn rubbish points on anything other than C or D tickets. Remove those and suddenly Golds start getting Silver cards and Silver start getting Blue at renewal = a lot of unhappy travellers.

I'm sorry but being an LBA traveller, I don't see any evidence of a lack of business class seating on any peak time services to/from LBA.

At the end of the day, I travel BD for the points which earn me the perks and the service. Take that away and when Jet2 start operating LBA-London (whenever that may be) you'll have all but the very frequent Y pax. moving over and suddenly the lease on that new A320 won't seem quite so recoverable!!

Last edited by neilyork; May 22, 2005 at 3:02 pm
Old May 22, 2005, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
"Turner's Secret: the short-haul factor"

Nigel Turner (CEO) is interviewed in today's Observer. The move to no-frills in economy, and removal of C on "most routes", is confirmed...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...489252,00.html
Old May 22, 2005, 3:42 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
This is terrible, will eliminate almost all the reasons I will wanna fly BMI in the future. Is another *A carrier gonna match my Gold status if I promise to move all my business to them ?!?
Old May 22, 2005, 4:16 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Well, it's bad not not that bad, given the vast majority of my flights are short-haul economy anyway, and I don't usually eat the sandwiches which are covered in my pet hate substance: mayonnaise.

I'll be interested to see how mileage will be affected on these flights, though. Particularly if WW are selling seats. This could be a horrible SK-like change. And you can bet my company will go for cheapest at all cost.

As long as the LCC changes apply only to on-board service, it's not disastrous. If they start to go to LCC type T&Cs, or abolish *G check-in at LHR... Well, I'm already tempted to try and get myself BA Silver, less generous though the miles may be for my flying patter.
Old May 22, 2005, 4:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by stut

As long as the LCC changes apply only to on-board service, it's not disastrous. If they start to go to LCC type T&Cs, or abolish *G check-in at LHR... Well, I'm already tempted to try and get myself BA Silver, less generous though the miles may be for my flying patter.
Indeed might they abolish DC altogether and go for a JetBlue type system where all you get is a free flight for every ten or so - no lounges (and they must cost a fair penny to maintain), no *S/G check in...in fact very little to award loyalty. BA laughing? I should imagine that Mr. Walsh will think his new job is now a lot easier than he ever imagined.

This is very concerning. I dread to think of BD as becoming just another LCC.
Old May 22, 2005, 4:28 pm

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
i hope bmi have thought this through...

when swiss got rid of c class on some of their short haul routes, they soon re-introduced it and free food is being phased back in now too...
Old May 22, 2005, 4:36 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
And, thinking about it, if C is going in domestic then they will surely either a) get rid of the Gold Upgrade credits, or b) try to diminish the anger of their main FFs by keeping them but LETTING you use them for Y to C on long-haul flights... and what makes me think it will be the first option not the second !

And if they do get rid of them, what benefit will they replace them with I wonder ? Suggestions (serious and otherwise !) would be appreciated !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.