Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC poised to invest $100-150 in US Air/America West merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

The intersting thing is that Airbus is poised to loan $250 million for purchases of the A350 (which AC just rejected)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7865207/
Old May 15, 2005, 7:39 pm
At Large

Hollis Harris made a very successful investment in CO when they emerged from one of their forays into CH.11 and I think Milton was mentored by him.

That could be a very good strategic investment and we could possibly see a sale of the US and AW FF programs to a publicly traded Aeroplan controlled by ACE. This could be the start of some fun times in the airline industry.......and the points for toasters subsidiaries.
Old May 15, 2005, 8:16 pm

Edit to remove stupid comment.

Last edited by cedric; May 15, 2005 at 8:30 pm
Old May 15, 2005, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Airbus has to do something, it has not sold the 350.... so time to start giving them away.
So far A350 sold 10 to Air Europa.... YUP thats IT!
and the 787 255. Airbus has only 12 A340-300's on order from customers and Virgin is talking about cutting the order back... using the delayed 380 as an excuse.

So spending taxpayers money on a airline to help sell the 350 might make sense....The AC example... it cost Airbus to lose a huge order for widebody planes... AC is trading the 340's and 330.
Old May 16, 2005, 3:05 am
At Large

Originally Posted by cedric
Edit to remove stupid comment
Was it worse than some of the conjecture and ill informed comments we see here.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:18 am

Programs: AC P, AF Frequence Plus, LH Miles & More, AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by privatejet
The intersting thing is that Airbus is poised to loan $250 million for purchases of the A350 (which AC just rejected)
I was pleased that AC had made an order for the 787. I'm looking forward to many miles on the 787
Old May 16, 2005, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by parnel
Was it worse than some of the conjecture and ill informed comments we see here.
Yeah, I was asking whether it would be possible to upgrade using HP miles on a Z fare on AC
Old May 16, 2005, 4:06 pm

Programs: Basic Aeroplan, DC MC, Basic SPG
Originally Posted by parnel
Hollis Harris made a very successful investment in CO when they emerged from one of their forays into CH.11 and I think Milton was mentored by him.

That could be a very good strategic investment and we could possibly see a sale of the US and AW FF programs to a publicly traded Aeroplan controlled by ACE. This could be the start of some fun times in the airline industry.......and the points for toasters subsidiaries.
Air Canada Technical Services (ACTS) has serviced America West narrowbody Airbus aircraft in Winnipeg (although I'm not positive they currently have the contract). My understanding is this potential investment would steer that maintenance to ACTS.

I think AC's former Chairman John (Jack) Fraser used to have some involvement with America West. Can anyone confirm?
Old May 16, 2005, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
Airbus has to do something, it has not sold the 350.... so time to start giving them away.
So far A350 sold 10 to Air Europa.... YUP thats IT!
and the 787 255. Airbus has only 12 A340-300's on order from customers and Virgin is talking about cutting the order back... using the delayed 380 as an excuse.

So spending taxpayers money on a airline to help sell the 350 might make sense....The AC example... it cost Airbus to lose a huge order for widebody planes... AC is trading the 340's and 330.
What do you mean when you say using taxpayers money do you mean Air Canada using taxpayers money if you do you should know that Air Canada is a private company listed on the tsx and is not funded by the taxpayer or government since 1986.
Old May 16, 2005, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

derk, don't worry -- whyfly doesn't make sense half the time.

I think he could have been referring to getting European governments to subsidise Airbus... but then again, I'm not sure what he is getting at either.
Old May 16, 2005, 4:46 pm
exAC

Originally Posted by SonicYWG
Air Canada Technical Services (ACTS) has serviced America West narrowbody Airbus aircraft in Winnipeg (although I'm not positive they currently have the contract). My understanding is this potential investment would steer that maintenance to ACTS....
America West has had airplanes overhauled in YWG in the past and might do so in the future. It all depends upon where the come out in the bid. I would doubt that anything to do with a small investment like this would sway a contract to ACTS if they were the higher bidder.

Even AC-The airline pays commercial rates to ACTS for the work they give them. Currently a number of AC aircraft are being overhauled overseas because the price, hangar space and ability to the job was there in a competitive bid. Since the mid 1990's none of AC's B747's were overhauled in an Air Canada hangar; they were sent to places like Paris, Auckland and Singapore.

Old May 16, 2005, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by YOWkid
derk, don't worry -- whyfly doesn't make sense half the time.

I think he could have been referring to getting European governments to subsidise Airbus... but then again, I'm not sure what he is getting at either.
I'm positive it must have something to do with the performance of the A345's
Old May 16, 2005, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by SonicYWG
I think AC's former Chairman John (Jack) Fraser used to have some involvement with America West. Can anyone confirm?
No, I think he sells men's clothing.
Old May 16, 2005, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
US Airways conducts their own Airbus maintenance at a facility in Pittsburgh. I imagine a combined US/HP would use that existing facility.
Old May 17, 2005, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...more details.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ery=air+canada

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.