KUL city airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2005, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
KUL city airport?

It's been a few years since I've been to KUL. As I recall I used to fly into an airport close to the city, but then they built a new one far away? Is the city airport still open and are there flights there from SIN?
Old May 8, 2005, 10:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Both MH & SQ fly to the new airport Kuala Lumpur International Airport well outside the city.

I dont know who flies to the "city" airport (and have forgotten its name which makes it tricky to look up!)
Old May 8, 2005, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What's the best way into the city from the new airport? Normal taxi? Cost?
Old May 8, 2005, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Depends where you're going, how many people, how much luggage?

Taxi or train. Sorry its been a year and I've forgotten the cost. I didnt think it was too bad (drive is similar time as it takes me in AKL but much further). With taxi there are tolls to pay as well as the fare. Taxi fare is fixed if you use the desk (landside near where exit from baggage claim).

Returning, on MH (and maybe others?) you can check in at the train station (a minimum check in time applies).
Old May 8, 2005, 10:48 pm
sy7

The fastest way to get to the city from KLIA (the new airport) is to take the express train. It goes directly from the airport to the Sentral train station in 28 min, runs every 15 min, and costs 35 RM/person. The train is also set up so that there is plenty of storage space for luggage.

There is also a regular commuter type train that goes from the airport to Sentral. It takes 36 min and runs every half hour, but the location and information for that is not nearly as well posted. I never figured out how much this option would cost, maybe half that of the direct train?

According to the standard airport info counters, a taxi can take anywhere from 60-90 min, depending on traffic. For one person, the cost was also more than that for the train, though I don't remember exactly how much.

From Sentral, you can either take the light rail into the city center (1-2 RM), or a taxi (recommended) for 10-14 RM (depending on destination, traffic, etc.). There is also a fabulous Hilton located right at the Sentral station--highly recommended if you don't need to stay in the city center!

Last edited by sy7; May 8, 2005 at 10:51 pm
Old May 8, 2005, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sy7
...or a taxi (recommended) for 10-14 RM (depending on destination, traffic, etc.)...
Faily meaningless given how little the MYR is worth, but at Sentral station, again it's officially a pay-in-advance operation for the taxi. It costs RM9 to the Petronas Towers, although if you're happy to try and flag down a taxi - perhaps one that has just dropped off - then count on about RM5 (subject to traffic).
Old May 8, 2005, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
It's been a few years since I've been to KUL.
It depends on how far back your last trip to KL was.

If it was less than 30 years ago, the airport would have been Subang Airport (SZB). If its more than 30 years ago, it would have been the one at Sungai Besi

The least complicated route to the city is to use the "Airport Limousine" which uses a prepaid coupon system, and brings you direct to the city centre.You can either use the "budget" (smaller car) or "Premier" (larger car) service. But dont be fooled by the name, neither vehicle is anything close to a "Limousine". I believe the fare is around MYR80-100 to get to the city centre.

My current preferred option is the "KLIA Express", although I felt that at MYR35 it is a rip-off for a low-cost country like Malaysia. I do feel safer travelling on the train than on the "Airport Limousine" and grudgingly pay the MYR35 The train runs at every 15min during peak hours and every 20min during off-peak. You have to take a taxi at KL Sentral (which is prepaid) to your city hotel.

The commuter type train which sy7 mentioned is operated by the same company as KLIA Express. I believe the fare is the same at MYR35 if you travel all the way to KL Sentral. Its only an viable option if you intend to get off at one of the stations outside KL.

The cheapest option is the coach service to the "Jalan Duta" bus terminal which is outside the city centre. Fare I believe is only something like MYR15-20 but this service has been reported to be highly unreliable.
Old May 9, 2005, 12:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
although if you're happy to try and flag down a taxi - perhaps one that has just dropped off - then count on about RM5 (subject to traffic).
The objective behind the prepaid system is to encourage taxi drivers to head to Sentral to pick-up passengers since the fare is higher with the prepaid system. This was implemented to overcome the shortage of taxis at Sentral when the KLIA Express first started operations.

Unless you are willing to walk all the way to Brickfields, no KL taxi driver would in their right mind be willing to forgo the prepaid rate unless they have an intention to take you "for a ride"
Old May 9, 2005, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario33
It depends on how far back your last trip to KL was.

If it was less than 30 years ago, the airport would have been Subang Airport (SZB). If its more than 30 years ago, it would have been the one at Sungai Besi
It wasn't that long ago so it must have been SZB. Is SZB still serving commercial flights? When the new airport opened, I recall that everyone hated the long drive and they wanted to keep a few flights at SZB. Did that not happen?
Old May 9, 2005, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The only surviving scheduled passenger carrier at KL's Subang (SZB) airport is Berjaya Air. It operates to Tioman island with a DH7 and I think to another couple of "niche" destinations in Malaysia. Subang is very much a downtown airport.

Kuala Lumpur International - KLIA (KUL) is way, way out of the city. The train is fast and frequent, but as the previous respondents point out, it dumps you at Sentral station. That's fine if you are staying at the Hilton next door, or know your way around, but a bit of a pig if you are in any way burdened - with luggage or jet-lag - and need to take a taxi.

The splendid Monorail serves the hotel/shopping district round the Golden Triangle (even stops outside the Mutiara and Istana), but frustratingly doesn't quite meet up with Sentral station - it's an unpleasantly hot, ten minute-walk across open land to the monorail terminus.

KL's underground is comfortable but whacky. The different lines don't quite meet up, and transfers between them are cumbersome.

All in all, if you've arrived off a long-haul flight, have bags and/or travel companions, it's FAR better to take a taxi. The "luxury" cars - larger and more comfortable cost just a little more than the regular MYR70 taxis. They are all prepaid, with tolls included. You can sit back and within an hour you should be at the downtown address you want.

Have fun!
Old May 9, 2005, 1:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
It wasn't that long ago so it must have been SZB. Is SZB still serving commercial flights? When the new airport opened, I recall that everyone hated the long drive and they wanted to keep a few flights at SZB. Did that not happen?
Some MH domestic flights were reinstated at SZB (for practical reasons) after KLIA commenced operations. However around 3 years ago, both MH and AK were told to move out of SZB and to operate only out of KLIA (KUL) since KLIA was underutilised at that time.

Lately there were proposals to turn SZB into a hub for budget carriers, and again the government turned it down infavour of a new terminal for budget airlines at KLIA. Priority seems to be given to enhance KLIA at the expense of the passengers.

Berjaya Air still operates out of SZB, mainly to resort islands using non-jet aircraft.
Old May 9, 2005, 1:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
All in all, if you've arrived off a long-haul flight, have bags and/or travel companions, it's FAR better to take a taxi. The "luxury" cars - larger and more comfortable cost just a little more than the regular MYR70 taxis. They are all prepaid, with tolls included. You can sit back and within an hour you should be at the downtown address you want.
I prefer the "budget" cars over the "luxury" ones since they have a fleet of brand new Daewoo cars for the "budget" service. The other cars are all very old.

I have been recommending the "Airport Limousine" instead of the "KLIA Express" in the past for its convenience. However, over the past few months, I had 2 very unpleasant and frightful experience with the "Airport Limousine"; the drivers were nodding-off as they were driving along the highway. I was told to write-in with details of the driver, but I didnt get a response from them after giving them all the particulars in writing.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info.

I travel light and I'll just be coming from SIN so I guess the train and then taxi will work for me.
Old May 9, 2005, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mario33
The objective behind the prepaid system is to encourage taxi drivers to head to Sentral to pick-up passengers since the fare is higher with the prepaid system. This was implemented to overcome the shortage of taxis at Sentral when the KLIA Express first started operations.

Unless you are willing to walk all the way to Brickfields, no KL taxi driver would in their right mind be willing to forgo the prepaid rate unless they have an intention to take you "for a ride"
I'm speaking from experience of just last month. There were quite a few cars on the rank when we were dropped off about 10pm on a Saturday night. As soon as I got out of the car, someone else jumped in (admittedly a local) and off they went. I should also add that this was the rank adjacent to the back entrance to the Hilton & Meridien, incase there's another rank by the check-in desks.

Although what you say is in principle correct, the decision lies with the driver. Does he get a fare straight away and at least make a little money, or does he wait for however long and make some more. To give a similar example - a taxi driver offered to take me for RM20 from KLCC to Jalan TAR. He could wait there all day (with his mates) and would doubtless get a taker in the end, but instead I just walked to the front of the rank and the fare was just over RM3. (I tipped it up to RM5).

As I said, we paid RM5 from the city centre to the station, whilst the drive in the opposite direction cost RM9 on the coupon system. I assume the drivers only get x% of the coupon value, with some being taken in an administration fee???
Old May 9, 2005, 8:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I'm speaking from experience of just last month. There were quite a few cars on the rank when we were dropped off about 10pm on a Saturday night. As soon as I got out of the car, someone else jumped in (admittedly a local) and off they went. I should also add that this was the rank adjacent to the back entrance to the Hilton & Meridien, incase there's another rank by the check-in desks.
You are assuming that the local person who jumped into the taxi was charged by the meter. I am as local as one can get, and just last weekend I jumped into a taxi not too far from Sentral and the driver started driving without turning on the meter. When I asked him to turn on the meter, he demanded for a flat rate of MYR10 for the short ride which was more than the MYR7-8 that I normally pay when using the prepaid system at Sentral. I paid him MYR7 since thats what he would get at Sentral but had he used the meter it would have been only MYR4. If I were a foreigner, he would most probably have demanded for and insisted on MYR20 !!

The taxi rank that you mentioned is actually the main one at Sentral . The taxi drivers do not mind waiting there since they know that when an intercity train arrives, there will be at least 50 to 100 passengers who would need a taxi and they are able to charge a premium fare.

I agree that the taxi drivers do not get the full amount you pay using the prepaid system. However, I cant imagine the drivers receiving less than 90% of what you pay. Many taxi drivers congregate at Sentral for the premium fare; and they dont mind taking a break there, to smoke or chat with fellow drivers. I will be most surprised if a KL taxi driver is willing to use the meter at Sentral just to "jump queue".

BTW there is a recent increase in taxi fares here in KL. The taxi drivers are already charging the new fares before having their meters recalibrated, by using their own chart for conversion. This is in direct defiance of the directives from the Transport Ministry and the Minister seem helpless to act .

Last edited by mario33; May 9, 2005 at 9:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.