Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Phoenician vs. Westin Kierland? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2005, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Being in Canada, it would be nice to get some sun down in Arizona for a bit and finally decided to head into the scottsdale area. In being an SPG platinum, i'm planning to stay between the two excellent resorts. Basically, i'd like the one that has superb facilities including pool, spa, and whatever the location is like. Also, if discussing the westin kierland, should i go for the resort or villas. If anyone's stayed at these resorts before, drop a line and help me out. Thanks.
p.s. golf isn't all that important to me, even though i might play a round.

Cheers! BT87
Old May 1, 2005, 11:46 am

Programs: Starwood Hotels, Alaska Air, Delta/Northwest Air
Originally Posted by BT87
Being in Canada, it would be nice to get some sun down in Arizona for a bit and finally decided to head into the scottsdale area. In being an SPG platinum, i'm planning to stay between the two excellent resorts. Basically, i'd like the one that has superb facilities including pool, spa, and whatever the location is like. Also, if discussing the westin kierland, should i go for the resort or villas. If anyone's stayed at these resorts before, drop a line and help me out. Thanks.

Cheers! BT87
I'd recommend the Phoenician over any resort in the area. The facilities and service are superb and the location is very convenient. If you choose the Kierland, definitely stay at the resort. My wife & I own at the villas, and while they're nice, I'd definitely rather be in the hotel. One bonus for the Westin is that it's next to the Kierland Commons, a large shopping area. There are some really nice restaurants in the Commons as well as plenty of stores. Just be aware that it's an outdoor shopping area, so no air conditioning!

Last edited by PHXMike; May 1, 2005 at 12:15 pm
Old May 1, 2005, 6:17 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Was just at the Phoenician a couple of days ago and it is no comparison, far nicer than anything else in AZ (and maybe the best Starwood property in NA). But you mentioned Platinum; don't expect much (certainly not meaningful upgrades in-season) -- however the worst room is so good that there really is no need for upgrades. Do need a rental car though (but that is true of anywhere in AZ). The current pricing is still USD 500/night but drops to USD 150 in July (care to guess why?).
Old May 1, 2005, 7:23 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by number_6
don't expect much (certainly not meaningful upgrades in-season)
Well having auh2o as your last name when staying there sure as heck does not hurt you...
Old May 1, 2005, 9:44 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
I have stayed at both properties and here is my observation :
Phoenician ; old money, older crowd
Kierkland : new money, younger crowd
I like the Kierkland a lot, have been treated very well there as a Platinum.
Old May 2, 2005, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by couscous
I have stayed at both properties and here is my observation :
Phoenician ; old money, older crowd
Kierkland : new money, younger crowd
I like the Kierkland a lot, have been treated very well there as a Platinum.
I'd have to say that although the Phoenician certainly caters to those who are much less budget-conscious, and therefore usually older (although the Kierland is hardly inexpensive), it attracts a lot of new money. Why? It is a place to splash money around and be seen doing it; in my book, that qualifies as new money behavior. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't generalize the properties quite so much. Also, the Kierland caters heavily to business travelers, so I'd see it as a nice place to stay after a long day's work/convention-going, whereas the Phoenician is wonderful for a pure resort atmosphere.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
Now that search is back (hallelujah!), I'd suggest running a quick search--you'll find several threads that answer this question. (Just stayed at Kierland in February and stayed at the Phoenician last spring, and I know I posted on at least one of the other threads. . . )
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
Had a fantastic stay at the Phoenician in late June... was 109 degrees that day in Phoenix, but between the misters over our breakfast brunch, the 8 pools, and the pool servers' dutiful attention to the ice in my water and the status of my and my gf's Mojitos ^, I hardly noticed.

Got upgraded to a Casita from a ~$130 rate as a Platinum. At just over $1 per degree of temperature, I thought this was quite a bargain--especially compared to the Kierland which was charging just about $2.50 per degree of temperature (I still haven't heard anything that would have pushed me to pay a $120 premium over this phenomenal property).

Anyway, summing up, was very pleased with that room and the hotel overall. Beautiful property. Restaurants were great (we ate at two, but couldn't make Mary Elaine's). Top notch service everywhere at this property.

We're officially adding it to our list of favorites... (currently sharing a spot at the top with the St. Regis Monarch Beach).
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:57 pm

Programs: NWA worldperks Platinum Elite, Centurion,
As a Plat. you will have access to the Royal Peaks Club Lounge, which has a very nice food selection for breakfast, and free drinks and appetizers in the evening. The Phoenician does not have a club.

Originally Posted by BT87

Cheers! BT87
Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:10 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by wildblueyonder
Restaurants were great (we ate at two, but couldn't make Mary Elaine's). Top notch service everywhere at this property.
The tasting menu is USD 125 and not great. Wine tasting to accompany it (3 oz portions) is USD 85, so a bit over USD 200. Unfortunately not the best food in Phoenix, and it really should be at that price point; probably not even in the top 10.

The best part of the Phoenician is the Canyon building with its separate pool and spa, almost like a separate hotel (even has its own parking under the building). And a great view of the "canyon" (side of camelback mountain). Makes up for having to put up with the other Phoenician silliness (croquet lawn, etc.).
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
The tasting menu is USD 125 and not great. Wine tasting to accompany it (3 oz portions) is USD 85, so a bit over USD 200. Unfortunately not the best food in Phoenix, and it really should be at that price point; probably not even in the top 10.

I recommend that you skip Mary Elaine's and drive about a mile down the road to T. Cook's. Better food, less stuffy but still very attractive atmosphere, and half the price.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by JerryFF
I recommend that you skip Mary Elaine's and drive about a mile down the road to T. Cook's. Better food, less stuffy but still very attractive atmosphere, and half the price.
Actaully Scottsdale has quite a few restaurants, maybe a dozen, that have exceptional food and at all price points. One end of the spectrum is Frank & Lupes (mexican that is 10% of the price -- and very good albeit peasant food, but that has its virtues). T. Cook at the Royal Palms resort is indeed superior and while expensive, not over-priced. Mary Elaine's lives up to its heritage (the unindicted co-conspirator of an indicted and convicted thief and embezzler who stole hundreds of millions of dollars, some of which went into the oppulence of the Phoenician). The restaurant makes up in square footage what it lacks in food quality.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:50 pm

The best part of the Phoenician is the Canyon building with its separate pool and spa, almost like a separate hotel (even has its own parking under the building). And a great view of the "canyon" (side of camelback mountain). Makes up for having to put up with the other Phoenician silliness (croquet lawn, etc.).
I was planning a stay at the Phoenician in August with the Taste of Luxury Package (4th night free) but was informed that the Canyon building is closed during August. Are the Casitas comparable to the Canyon building?

I wasn't sure if PHX in August was the best idea anyway, and I might just cancel or stay elsewhere if the Casitas aren't up to par.

BTW, do Plat get free access to the gym?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:27 pm
Original Member

Casitas are not in the least comparable to the canyon building, but are great if you golf or want to hang out at the spa or the golf club. The casitas are also much more suitable for families (the canyon building is really for couples). They are nicer than the regular hotel, and nicer than almost all hotels in the US (even in August). The heat really isn't bad if you plan your day properly and avoid golfing at 3 pm. By the pool you are liberally plied with ice and towels and anything else you would want. August weather can be tricky as the rains come and while it cools down to 100, humidity is up.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:08 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld
I was planning a stay at the Phoenician in August with the Taste of Luxury Package (4th night free) but was informed that the Canyon building is closed during August.
That's a shame. Any idea why? Renovation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.