Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Santa Maria De El Paular, Rascafria, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2000, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold

Madrid in town was really booked when we were arriving so, in my search, I discovered a great Sheraton find: Hotel Santa Maria de El Paular in Rascafria, an hour north of the airport and a really easy drive. It is located in the mountains at about 3000 feet and is situated in an old monastery. It was beautifully lit up at night when we arrived. Our room was about $100 inc full buffet breakfast - and what a gorgeous breakfast it was. The rooms themselves are nothing to write home about but the surroundings were terrific. There is a park across the street and the monastery itself to explore. The little town has a few bars and restaurants. We went in and had tapas with the locals - all of us rooting for Madrid in a soccer match!
Old Nov 10, 2003, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Arrow Hotel Santa Maria De El Paular, Spain [Master Thread]

My starpoints balance is not very pretty right now, and we're thinking of cutting out of Madrid (and the Westin) a night early, and staying at the Hotel Santa Maria de El Paular instead.

Has anyone stayed here? Any comments?

p.s. all I could dredge up was this post from the archives was:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000976.html

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited 11-10-2003).]
Old Nov 10, 2003, 1:01 pm

Depends what you are looking for.Its quaint,atmospheric and "real".On the other hand its not particularly comfortable,has no facilities to speak of and has nothing much to do in the immediate vicinity.

Car is an absolute must.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 3:14 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Hotel Santa Maria De El Paular, Spain [Master Thread]

Mrs. Martinplas and I arrived by car yesterday from Seville and what a nice drive throught the Mountains above Madrid. The Hotel is built as part of an old Monestary. The staff here are wonderful with no attitude. We were taken to a great little Jr. Suite with a Gold Amenity fruit basket,litter of water,,large chocalate bar and a set of buisness cards-thank you from the manager and the concierege, all on a large tray waiting in our room.
I was about to give up on Starwood after our stay at the Alfonse X111 in Seville where the room was old and worn , and the staff arrogant and non- caring. Even the Hotel Manager did not respond to a request for a phone call to express my concerns about the torn couch,and worn out room they gave us.
The rooms here in The Santa Maria de El Paular are fabulous with old wood floors and period furniture. The small town is fun and the Hotel has bicycles for its guests to use to go to town or into the many paved nature trails here in the mountains.Being an old Monestary which SPG bought part of ,it is very tranquil and quiet. We seem to be the only American-tourists here which is fine with us , as it is not very crowded with tourists of any kind. Mainly locals with either girfriends or wives, and some people who look like they come here oten ,to enjoy the clean air,cool mountain temps ,and quiet.Next stop Madrid on friday for two nights on a reward redemdtion at the Westin Palace for my two free nights I earned and must use before the 31st of March
It will be interesting to see if SPG. gives me a trashy rack room at the Westin Palace in Madrid for my reward or treats me with a customer respect for my Hotel -brand loyality.I realize I am not a Diamond,although I am a loyal SPG Gold leasure traveler and always purchase on their website , choosing to participate in their loyality program vs. other sites like luxurylink and priceline.

Last edited by martinplas; Mar 23, 2005 at 3:22 pm
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:28 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Any opinions on what it would be like to stay there with a family of four at the start of December? Is it too cold to enjoy the area? the pool? Is it too far from Madrid to get back and forth easily to see sites?
Old May 16, 2008, 10:20 am

Sheraton Santa Maria de el Paular Trip Report

Sorry, but I could not find the previous posts for the Santa Maria de el Paular. We just finished a stay at this small Sheraton property about 75 minutes north of Madrid, and about 15 miles west of the A-1. The hotel has been developed as part of a former monastery and holds much charm for those staying at these classic Spanish properties. We suspected that the Spanish government has begun to upgrade their Paradores because of properties such as this have taken much of the market of those wishing to stay at properties that are remiscent of the previous century.
The property is housed in one of the former cloisters of the Monastery of the same name, which is in the midst of a park that many hope will soon become a National Park. Upon checkin, we were led to our room by Fernando Hevia, the desk clerk, Concierge, and local expert who informed us about the country side. Fernando told us that we were assigned their largest room, a Junior Suite, and because the good monks did not have large rooms, only a few rooms were the size of ours. Before taking us to the room, he checked to see if the room had been made up, as he hotel was filled on our arrival, as well as the night we stayed. Fernando urged us to take the monastery tour which began at 5 PM (we should arrive at the front door of the monastery a few minutes early, as the monks may close the door if they do not see anyone). Needless to say, it was a fantastic hour, walking through a monastery that had its origins more than 500 years ago with 30 10 year-old school kids and about 10 other adults. The monk did not speak English, but we enjoyed the alter, the art work, the architechture, and the many formal sparsely furnished rooms. We read that the monastery enployed more than 500 of the locals in its prime, and represented a local industry that was similar to a modern corporation. Needless to say, because there are only a few monks who live in the monastery, the hotel has discussions underway to lease more of the monastery so that it can add additional rooms.
This is a site where one can relax and watch the numerous storks build their nests and feed their young if the time of year is right. We must have spent an hour watching three storks working on their nest on the chimney of the monastery, as well as feeding a young one who did not venture out of the nest. While driving from Loyza, a town about 7 km east of Rascafria, we saw at least 10 other storks either in nests or gathering twigs to expand their existing nests.
Breakfast was included and it as well as dinner was held in a large room that must have been a dining hall for the monks. Dinner was exceptional, and not very expensive. Service was superb even though the dining room was almost completely full with a meeting group discussing new management techniques with their corporate leaders.
This is a property for those interested in hiking in the woods nearby, as there are well-maintained dirt paths extending along the road, and into the lakes that dot the country side. The property has a number of bikes for rent as well.
For those interested in communting into Madrid, we thought this property is too far, although it does serve a convenient stopping point for those going either North or South into other tourist attractions.

I should point out that the hotel does not have air conditioning, as I suspect that it never gets above 80 degrees in this part of Spain. (Rasca is slang for cold, and Fria means cold in Spanish). We did wear our jackets even though we were here in Mid-May.
All-in all, an interesting stay for those looking for a quiet night, or interested in old Spain.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:48 am
Community Director Emerita

What a great report. This is going on my list of "Starwood hotels where I would like to stay". We are great fans of the Spanish paradores, and have had stunning experiences staying in a wide range of fascinating historical structures. It's nice to know that Starwood has such a property.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:52 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Staying here next week.

Anybody stay here lately? As a Platinum, other than free internet, are than any other benefits?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
I just stayed here last night. The area is really nice—off the beaten path, scenic, peaceful and the climate perfect. It was 84° high but it's drier there cuz of the elevation, so very comfortable. The low overnight was down to a crisp 51° which felt great.

I just turned Platinum last week and unfortunately I had made reservations for places such as this when I was Gold, so they still dont' show me as Platinum. I had to ask for my amenity and prove that I was Plat by showing them my account online, but they were very cordial about it.

They had already had me upgraded to what they call a Junior Suite as a Gold. Unfortunately I found the room to be really dumpy—old and tired. Yes, the structure is really old and they've done well to preserve the wood floors and doors, and plaster walls, but the furniture is also antique and rickety and worn and the place smells like an old antique store.

My room was nothing like the pictures on the website. It had white plaster walls and the bathroom tile is old from the 50s or 60s, I'd guess, and everything around the edges everywhere was dirty like things that haven't been cleaned in decades in my grandmother's attic. The cabinet and fixtures in the bathroom were all obviously very old. The silver fixtures were cloudy and stained, the sink cracked, the countertop chipped, the tile on the floor cracked all over.

For the price it was ok, but I wasn't impressed.

The staff tried really hard.

The food was ok at the restaurant, the breakfast very typical of Spain's hotel breakfast buffets with all the assorted fruit, cheeses, meats, sausages, undercooked bacon, slimy scrambled eggs and lots of bread and pastry options. I can't fault them for the eggs and bacon. It's just the way it is over here in Europe. I've learned to just not plan on eating eggs or bacon while over here as it's just not "American style" where they are actually cooked!! lol

I don't think I would go out of my way to go back here and I can't say whether I recommend it or not. I think it will totally depend on your personal preferences and reason for traveling through this area and if you luck out and get a room that looks like the pictures with warm colored walls and splashes of color in the bedding and furnture.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
its been a couple of years since this thread was updated....any recent experiences????
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Keyser
its been a couple of years since this thread was updated....any recent experiences????
I was there in Oct 2011. I found the Sheraton Paular to be exactly as described above in various posts, especially BulaRae's, but I react more positively to that sort of thing. For example, I liked the historic, but creaky, furniture and as I don't eat bacon at breakfast I found the buffet, with abundant Spanish ham, to be fabulous. There is no lounge or cocktail hour, but you can have a beer or sherry in the courtyard at reasonable prices. The rooms are basically monk's cells, so you really can't expect too much of them. We rented a car and drove a lot around the countryside. We had a great time.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
Have a one-night stay reserved in April (next month), and will try to remember to update this thread.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:01 am

Suite (Platinum Upgrade): http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...-de-el-paular/

Last edited by youhavebeenupgraded; Mar 12, 2014 at 11:56 am
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
I am trying to book my wedding at the property but have been informed, twice, that it will be leaving SPG June 2014! Which isn't good for a Fall 2014 wedding They refuse to discuss any bookings or details for weddings past June 2014 - I would graciously take any gossip or fodder on the validity of these claims
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SFOisHome
I am trying to book my wedding at the property but have been informed, twice, that it will be leaving SPG June 2014! Which isn't good for a Fall 2014 wedding They refuse to discuss any bookings or details for weddings past June 2014 - I would graciously take any gossip or fodder on the validity of these claims
that's such a shame....i really liked this property....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.