Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's Distinctly BRITISH about British Airways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2005, 4:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So what is it that is truly British about BA?

OK, so the English Breakfast in FIRST is great, but where is the modest selection of British wines (seem to have been popular when previously offered)?

Where is the emergency pack of Marmite available from Shopping The World? No Horlicks, no beans in FIRST? Who actually owns Molton Brown, anyway?

I think its catering, people and on board amenities (seats, entertainment, comfort kits) which define the airline, and I see very little Britishness about it these days.

Caledonian was proudly Scottish, with tartan touches throughout.

Virgin, for instance, has introduced a "Sunday Roast" available as an option across its classes on Sundays.

What areas does BA distinguish itself and provide a noticeably British product? Or is the company just being blended into a poorly defined international corporate airline?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The vast majority of BA flights originate from or terminate in Britain. Isn't that good enough for you? Personally I think of curry as more representative of modern-day Britain than bangers and mash.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by apudme
Caledonian was proudly Scottish, with tartan touches throughout.
Yes, because of course tartan is integral to the lives of Scottish people today ([soapbox]I really, really hate this kind of faux branding which means that tartan=Scotland, when at best its a 19th century Victorian invention, after the genocidal campaign of the Hanoverian monarchs to eliminate Scottish culture and way of life pretty much did that[/soapbox]) I'd say BD do the Scottish thing much better by having Irn Bru in the lounges
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
The Shepherds pie I had in Club earlier in the year was nice and British.....

But please - can I have some Yorkshire Puddings in onion gravy.......?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:08 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I'd say BD do the Scottish thing much better by having Irn Bru in the lounges
Too right!

Now, if they started serving deep-fried pizza (or mars bars, I'm not fussy) on board...

(Or at least a morning roll and square sausage...)
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by stut
slabber, drool...

Look, you could at least post a warning you are about to discuss these things, so us poor expats don't get hit without warning on a morning when I'm starving anyway and counting down the minutes until lunch...
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
Personally, when I have been working abroad for extended periods, the availability of a reasonably decent cup of tea makes me feel like I've reached home the moment I step on Board.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:17 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Sorry, Jenbel. For what it's worth, though, I'm expat too, down in the land of the overpriced sandwich (London) without a roll an' slice anywhere in sight...
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by stut
What on earth are these things???
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:23 am

If only the search function was working..... We could find out how we all answered the last time this perennial topic came up
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:32 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by graraps
Personally I think of curry as more representative of modern-day Britain than bangers and mash.
Mmmm..... curry..... slobber, drool. Had a fantastic one on UA earlier this year flying LHR-ORD. Girlfriend wasn't so impressed - too spicy for her!

Back to the point - given the main British airlines - BA, BD, VS - which one strikes you as most British?

BD? Not for me. Doesn't have that intrinsic British feel to it. What is that 'intrinsic British feel'? Dunno. But BD doesn't have it anyway!

VS? With its 'Sunday Roast' - first I've heard of that. The Union flag winglets? Don't do it for me.

BA? More so than any of the others. Why? Well, leaving aside the fact it is called BRITISH Airways (not Brit Air - ), there's just something about the airline - service primarily I guess - that makes me think of it as British. Oh and the fact that once on a shockingly windy approach into LHR with planes aborting ahead, the crew got us done with numerous bumps and bounces, and the captain, with classic British understatement, came on the PA to announce -

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to London Heathrow. I trust you enjoyed the rather..... sporting approach today."

Bloody fantastic! Remember that one bkm?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
rather....sporting
^ ^ ^

I think the Captain Speaking is one of the best bits about BA. "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls" etc. etc.

And I think I remember mentioning something about the magnificent sight of a BA 747 sitting on the tarmac of your chosen third-world ....hole waiting to take you home.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:49 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
If only the search function was working..... We could find out how we all answered the last time this perennial topic came up
Quite!

For me it's the stepping into a plane after being "abroad" for a while and getting some nice Earl Grey tea or a bacon buttie. And the fact that all announcements are made in and everyone speaks English!

It's always nice to see a 747 in the BA livery standing at some far away place waiting to go back 'home'. ^
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:53 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by AJLondon
It's always nice to see a 747 in the BA livery standing at some far away place waiting to go back 'home'. ^
At RUH I'm happy with the 777s!
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:56 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Funster
At RUH I'm happy with the 777s!
Ahhh RUH. You'll now get something so much better there. A bmi A330!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.